ANH X-Wing Control Column - Stick

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by Wavey, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Wavey

Wavey Well-Known Member

I don't know if this prop has already been made and all the greeblies found, so here goes with a fairly cheap and easy build that should end up looking something like the original X-Wing control stick.

I'm at the parts gathering and ideas stage at the mo so this could take a bit of time to complete. Eventually I want to end up with one control stick made from all vintage parts - this one won't be totally screen accurate but I like the idea of using all real parts to get close. Then a second stick molded from the first that with a little modding should be very close to screen accurrate.

Starting with the control grip. After some research and comparing with the limited amount of movie caps and set photos available it became aparent that the grip may not be a real aircraft stick. So following an idea that a number of gadgets for Star Wars were bought from 'Dixons' (including headphones, turntable parts and possibly Eumig cameras), I found the Chinon 722-723 range of 'Super 8' recorders. These were sold exclusively through Dixons from the late 60s onwards - so there's just enough logic behind the idea to suit my purposes, even though the look of the camera grip doesn't exactly match the X-Wing's at this stage. After cutting a hole, the trigger switch can be turned the other way and remain usable.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next up, the top greeblies. Two mid 1950s RAF parts, a relay by Hendrey Relays and a switch by PYE. I'm 99% sure the relay is this type used in a Vickers Vanguard as it inlcudes an extra rubber grommet base. However, being a hard to find part I may use this second type of relay (for Hunter to Vulcan to Victor) as it has almost the same dimensions and a slight extra detail on each end - a thumb grip indent on one end and a small hole in the other that I will put a red LED behind.

The PYE switches are available on the Project Runs thread.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More to follow....

2. Wavey

Wavey Well-Known Member

Something interesting about the Chinon's top section, it has all the shapes needed for an accurate greeblie shelf - a rounded top end at the back and a squared off end at the front that's in two halves. Length and width are pretty much spot on too so it will be just a matter of sawing off the top along the section line - one all metal greeblie shelf.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shingouki28 and Boba Flint like this.
  3. Boba Flint

Boba Flint Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Interesting build. I'll be watching.

4. sctcarts

sctcarts Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I agree with Boba Flint....looking forward to seeing how this develops. I've been wanting to build a TIE pilot chair and console for display, love what you're doing so far.

5. Wavey

Wavey Well-Known Member

Thanks guys! The deciding factor for adapting this camera is that scruffy looking hole in the side of the stick in Luke's photo. To my eyes it looks like a casting point, so adding a couple of mods before casting should be easy. The biggest mod is adding a slight curve to the back of the camera grip leading up to the shelf, should look something like this....

DH Vampire control

DH vamp stick 5.png

Taking a cast from the curve at the front should do the trick.

6. SteveStarkiller

SteveStarkiller Sr Member

very cool, interested to see more

7. Wavey

Wavey Well-Known Member

Cheers SS, I've got to order in some fine saw blades before cracking this nut open as I would only make a total mess of the camera with a dremel lol.

Someone asked about that uneven look on the shelf part, which had me thinking. If I saw off the top I'm left with 3 or 4 unattached segments, with the front left side segment (as you look at the camera pic) being separate. The sides of the camera top are actually angled outwards but if were to affix that segment so the side was verticle then it pushes up the top / centre by the same angle, so a few degrees off being level. It's an unmissable feature of the overall look but it does bug me a little, so that will go into the cast version - maybe not the real parts version.

8. Wavey

Wavey Well-Known Member

It seems that Stormtroopers were not the only beings destined to miss their targets - y'all know why though right...?

....Safety pin is still in the trigger!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 29, 2015
  9. JHVanOphem

JHVanOphem Well-Known Member

10. Wavey

Wavey Well-Known Member

Oh yes indeed. There's a few on the Falcon's console that seem to sit a little high and have been roughed up a lot. This one looks to have a grey primer showing under the white.

11. Wavey

Wavey Well-Known Member

Getting there, very slowly. Attempting to make a sub-frame to fix the top to the grip in a mudular way, so all the parts clip and unclip together. Then this pulley turned up in the post.... Which was nice.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 13, 2015
    SofaKing01 likes this.
  12. SofaKing01

SofaKing01 Master Member

Nice silver greeblie (pully) you got there! What is that from?

13. Wavey

Wavey Well-Known Member

That be one of them pulleys from a Transcriptors turntable, from the maker. Needs some nudging to get the exact position.

14. SofaKing01

SofaKing01 Master Member

NICE FIND! I'm finding similar parts with old movie projectors. I love the design simplicity of the SW universe!

15. Wavey

Wavey Well-Known Member

A RR Avon engine pipe-assy from 1957 seems to fit the bill for a simulated connecting harness.

[​IMG]

This part is just the top section so it will bolt in to a metal base (that the camera grip will sit on top of) and affix the complete stick to the column bar. Just need to remove the lower curved tube - but that's easier said than done, so far.

16. SofaKing01

SofaKing01 Master Member

Unreal! You and your genius! :)

17. Wavey

Wavey Well-Known Member

It's a madness.... that these things still exist, that is lol.

18. halliwax

halliwax Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

this is very interesting, allot of great finds!

19. Wavey

Wavey Well-Known Member

Thanks Hal, I'm not totally sure how I slipped into having a go at this one - I was ment to be doing the Falcon's quad controls lol. But then....

Still working out how to slot it together so it essentially field-strips.

20. Wavey

Wavey Well-Known Member

Typical ...TYPICAL!!! You don't see any of these for years, then THREE turn up at the same time. So, getting closer to using all the right parts, I decided to use one of the more accurate relays with the rubber grommet base.

[​IMG]

The last part to find is a four-fluted knob at around 30mm to 32mm max outside diameter. Being large, four-fluted and with no indication line probably makes it a radio tuning dial. May have to get this one custom made - are there any places out there that make custom dials?

21. SofaKing01

SofaKing01 Master Member

Ooooooo nice! Have you been able to identify the handle yet? It looks like a vintage handheld movie camera.

22. Wavey

Wavey Well-Known Member

The Chinon Super 8 I'm using is sooO close, couple that with the top section of the cam body having the right shape and almost spot on dimensions - it's got to be a cine camera grip. But I think the stick / grip used for filming was a cast so could even be a modified Chinon. Research is on going with this one though, 100% accurate is out there somewhere :D

I was going to use a 'crinkle spray paint' for that textured finish - but the Chinon's side already has a crinkly plastic material that also looks close to the result I'd want. Bit of an operation to get it off though but I think it's do-able with a hair dryer.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
  23. SofaKing01

SofaKing01 Master Member

The handle might NOT be from a handheld camera after all. Every pic I've seen shows the handle at the front of the body not in the rear - unless they turned the handle around?

24. SofaKing01

SofaKing01 Master Member

I'm looking at the Chinon handles. You are SO close. I'm trying to find one that shows the two bevels away from the center mold line. It's a tough find!

If push comes to shove... Have you thought about modeling in 3D and printing?

25. Wavey

Wavey Well-Known Member

Yup, the handle would be turned around the other way from normal camera use. If you take the trigger switch out and swap that around 180° to fit the new orientation it pokes out at the right place, the handle then just needs a small 'lip' under the trigger - this can be made from the battery door, under the handle, which is no longer used as that's where a bolt will go to affix the whole thing on to a base plate.

26. SofaKing01

SofaKing01 Master Member

W,

Have you tried the
    Chinon Colt 371?​

27. Wavey

Wavey Well-Known Member

No I wouldn't go as far as to 3D print it as I rather like the look and feel of the old camera parts (for the non-accurate display version). But for the screen accurate version I have planned, it's just 2 or 3 small structural mods then dump it in some silicone - job (almost) done. Reproducing the part in black pigment Jesmonite should give it a solid bakelite finish, shiny and 70s looking.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
  28. Wavey

Wavey Well-Known Member

Yea I've looked at the Colt types but it doesn't have the more swept curve shape at the top of the handle.... Then I started getting a liking for old Super 8s and nearly bought dozens that just look absolutely fantastic - spesh 60s / 70s Bolex, lol.

29. SofaKing01

SofaKing01 Master Member

hmmmm... I looking more at the elongated front part of the handle as opposed to "just" the handle. But that beveled edge is a real mystery!

30. Storm

Storm New Member

Some new about your control colum stick?

Got those parts

[​IMG]

Wavey and thd9791 like this.
  31. Xxblackbird

Xxblackbird Sr Member

I was thinking about getting a 3D model of this commissioned. I can't find a lot of reference pictures out there.

32. Storm

Storm New Member

For the handle, i think they used a handle from a hammer drill (as the kango 426 for the tracker in alien)

I have not found the right model for the moment

33. Wavey

Wavey Well-Known Member

Hi guys, I put a hold on this project idea not long after my last post here as a bundle of real world Tie parts started to emerge and I had to jump on that. I wanted to get a complete line-up of OT controls cast and finished 2 years ago but a Monumental Snafu update dumped several years worth of research - so in the last 2 years I've been an unpaid help desk.

Good timing Storm, I've just had 2 weeks off from all of that and getting the urge to revisit some older SW projects - including a fold-away full-scale OT Tie set cockpit.

With the parts I've posted in this thread a very accurate control stick 'cast' is possible, however, I would like to have one made from just the real parts. So using the hinges in the camera and other parts, etc-etc, I'll have to work out a build plan - with room for adding electronics. If that works out, I can attempt to copy it in cast form.

A few things to think about before I get re-started on it.

A very nice collection of relays there Storm!!! Some battle-worn controls will look great and maybe a crashed relic control with electronics hanging out could be an idea for the less clean one.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    Storm likes this.
  34. Wavey

Wavey Well-Known Member

@Storm If you need any of the switches that go next to the relays on top of the control, let me know, I have a few left.

Storm likes this.