ANH Vader Cape and Robe

Darthmagpie

Hello all,
I know this is a pretty standard question, but hasen't been asked in a while and people have new opinions and new products out. This is almost the last set of Items I need. I am basicly looking for the best set I can get while staying in the less than $400 range. The e-bay guy under the name EMERESSEN is in that range but His robe is not ANH(I think the only difference is the pleets, which I could ask if they can not do). I don't know the quality or delivery. I would really appreciate some input here. Thanks

......sent you a pm.

IMO, It basically comes down to quality of materials used and the skill of the seamtress as a good seamtress can basically make anything that you want. Pleats are not hard to do.....

Originally posted by Darthmagpie@Dec 27 2005, 03:14 PM
I believe the ANH robe has no pleats.  Someone correct me if I am wrong.
[snapback]1144545[/snapback]​

....from the pix that I've seen, it looks like it has pleats....

....sent ya e-mail....

Well, I didn't really care for hyper-accuracy, so I bought a set of robes from mystikmerchant. I can't remember the web address, but if you googled it, I'm sure you'd find it. They are heavy cotton and flow beautifully. They're not lined, which was good for me because my summers are always well over 100 degrees. They need full measurements and you get great craftmanship and really, really fast delivery.

-Corey

Hi :) I'm looking for a new cape for my vader (not only for an anh version, it would be for an ESB or ROTJ version)
I was wondering if the one sold by this seller on ebay ( emeressen ) is a good cape... Do you know their products ? I was also interested by the Pleather Body Suit, but I don't know if it's a good suit...

Thanks if you can tell me if I can buy this cape or wait for something better...

Originally posted by mikajedi@Dec 28 2005, 08:01 PM
Hi :)  I'm looking for a new cape for my vader (not only for an anh version, it would be for an ESB or ROTJ  version)
I was wondering if the one sold by this seller on ebay ( emeressen ) is a good cape...  Do you know their products ? I was also interested by the Pleather  Body Suit, but I don't know if it's a good suit...

Thanks if you can tell me if I can buy this cape or wait for something better...
[snapback]1145493[/snapback]​

PM Sent

Originally posted by KevVader+Dec 27 2005, 09:30 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KevVader @ Dec 27 2005, 09:30 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Darthmagpie
@Dec 27 2005, 03:14 PM
I believe the ANH robe has no pleats.  Someone correct me if I am wrong.
[snapback]1144545[/snapback]​

....from the pix that I've seen, it looks like it has pleats....

....sent ya e-mail....
[snapback]1144782[/snapback]​
[/b]

Thanks Kenny. :D

However....there ya go, I stand corrected from Thomas and Dave who have pretty accurate ANH outfits......the ANH inner robe just seems to be bunched up under the belt, giving the impression of pleats...

If anyone has any feedback on the "emeressen" seller I would apprecite it. In his auction he describes his material as WOOL/FELT. I have herad horror stories of people using a felt material. I am preety sure a few people here bought one of these. Can you give some input on the quality of the material? I also get nervious when a SW maker says they worked at ILM and examined the real stuff. Is this valad?

I also Got pics Of Kevvader's capes They look pretty great.

Thanks....

When they say "wool/felt", I'm assuming they're referring to 100% wool that has a looser weave.....this gives it a knapped appearance, like felt. The only problem is that wool of this nature piles very easily and is a magnet for dust, lint and everything else that will stick to it. Also a quality 100% wool, like Merino, is very expensive....anywhere from $40 - $60 per meter. If it's for display only, 100% wool would be suitable.

However, for trooping, I find that a wool/poly blend (75/25) is best. Drapes very well, very durable and less expensive to produce. For the inner robe a 50/50 wool/poly or even a heavy 75/25 cotton/poly is a good alternative....

FOR DISPLAY ONLY

Originally posted by KevVader@Dec 29 2005, 04:05 PM
Thanks....

When they say "wool/felt", I'm assuming they're referring to 100% wool that has a looser weave.....this gives it a knapped appearance, like felt. The only problem is that wool of this nature piles very easily and is a magnet for dust, lint and everything else that will stick to it. Also a quality 100% wool, like Merino, is very expensive....anywhere from $40 - $60 per meter. If it's for display only, 100% wool would be suitable.

However, for trooping, I find that a wool/poly blend (75/25) is best. Drapes very well, very durable and less expensive to produce. For the inner robe a 50/50 wool/poly or even a heavy 75/25 cotton/poly is a good alternative....
[snapback]1145912[/snapback]​

Gotcha....then pure wool may be better....it's up to you and your wallet. ;)

BTW......in his auction, the included metal chain is not screen accurate.

PDVD_011.jpg

....this is a ROTJ cap, but you get the idea of the chain used....plastic Ag-Lok type gardening chain....

Originally posted by Darthmagpie+Dec 29 2005, 02:16 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darthmagpie @ Dec 29 2005, 02:16 PM)</div>
FOR DISPLAY ONLY

<!--QuoteBegin-KevVader
@Dec 29 2005, 04:05 PM
Thanks....

[snapback]1145912[/snapback]​
[snapback]1146038[/snapback]​
[/b]

Originally posted by Darthmagpie@Dec 29 2005, 03:02 PM
If anyone has any feedback on the "emeressen"  seller I would apprecite it.  In his auction he describes his material as WOOL/FELT.  I have herad horror stories of people using a felt material.  I am preety sure a few people here bought one of these.  Can you give some input on the quality of the material?  I also get nervious when a SW maker says they worked at ILM and examined the real stuff.  Is this valad?

I also Got pics Of Kevvader's capes  They look pretty great.
[snapback]1145872[/snapback]​

Hi Darthmagpie

I bought a cape from Emeressen some time ago, and well, it wasn't for me.. (but it was reasonably inexpensive). The leather collar was too wide to be screen accurate and the wool/felt material was just far more like felt than wool. It was too stiff, if you pulled the fabric out it would stay there instead of falling back in again. It also looked a little 'threadbare' in places with odd 'trackmarks' in the material that bugged me and it had a kind of sheen to it instead of being flat black.

They agreed to a replacement for the cape apologising and saying that the seamstress had probably used the wrong material by mistake, but the new one when it arrived was exactly the same.

It didn't cost the earth and for a trooping cape I didn't think it was worth kicking up a fuss. Good communication and speedy delivery though, so for a cheapy no-frills not too accurate cape - go for it.

Jeremy

Originally posted by KevVader@Dec 27 2005, 11:46 AM
IMO, It basically comes down to quality of materials used and the skill of the seamtress as a good seamtress can basically make anything that you want. Pleats are not hard to do.....
[snapback]1144410[/snapback]​

I have found a great seamstress who is a personal friend of my wife's and she is really wanting to help with my costuming. I've gathered a ton of movie reference shots. But, I was wondering if there are some better guides or drawings that might help her with the job of both the robe and the cape?

Originally posted by gonk27@Dec 30 2005, 09:46 AM

Hi Darthmagpie

I bought a cape from Emeressen some time ago, and well, it wasn't for me.. (but it was reasonably inexpensive). The leather collar was too wide to be screen accurate and the wool/felt material was just far more like felt than wool. It was too stiff, if you pulled the fabric out it would stay there instead of falling back in again. It also looked a little 'threadbare' in places with odd 'trackmarks' in the material that bugged me and it had a kind of sheen to it instead of being flat black.

Jeremy
[snapback]1146711[/snapback]​

I bought an inner robe from them as well. The material was the same as your cape I think. They should call it felt/wool. I need to sell it or maybe make a coulple of mini pool tables from it. :lol

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back