ANH VADER brushed gunmetal paint?

Thanks lambotour. Here's another pic request- I hope you don't mind, can you take a pic of the GH dome on the spfx please? I'm not sure if it because the dome on the spfx is smaller that the whole thing looks smaller. I'm looking forward to the new pics.

That's a good theory about the nose being the same colour. It has certainly made me think.

No problem Paul, here are some pics. I've tried to avoid any lense distortion etc..to be fair. First off here is the CT with the SPFX dome:

Next are two pics of the SPFX faceplate with my GH dome:

And here are some of the "damaged" areas I'm still working on, since this is still a WIP.

Cheek:

Nose slot

Hope these help in your quest. :)

<div class='quotetop'>(lambotour @ May 21 2006, 09:17 PM) [snapback]1248085[/snapback]</div>
No problem Paul, here are some pics. I've tried to avoid any lense distortion etc..to be fair. First off here is the CT with the SPFX dome:

[/b]
This combo looks pretty cool, imo. The CT is a Celtic Touch, right?

Like the "Used Universe" look. Very impressive. And the idea about the nose being painted gunmetal... hmm... it seems plausible enough to actually be true.

<div class='quotetop'>(lambotour @ May 21 2006, 09:17 PM) [snapback]1248085[/snapback]</div>
Next are two pics of the SPFX faceplate with my GH dome:

[/b]
WOAW... that GH dome looks really weird on the SPFX face. They don't seem to fit very well together, or is this effect caused by how the dome is mounted on the face?

Some serious modding had to be done to the SPFX dome if it originated from a GH... I would personally think it would be much easier to make a new one from scratch or even from a DP DLX than to try to get the GH shaped to fit the face and look good... but that's just my opinion.

Terrific paintwork guys (nice armor, Yak.)....great comparisons Pete. Ya the SPFX faceplate being a 20th C derivative is smaller because the 20th C is smaller than the original ESB, but also smaller because it's lost size with remolding. So when compared back to an original GH helmet (dome), it will be proportionally off, which is likely why SPFX had to modify his GH-derived dome. The CT faceplate looks comparable in size to the GH faceplate....

<div class='quotetop'>(SithLord @ May 21 2006, 11:16 PM) [snapback]1248154[/snapback]</div>
Terrific paintwork guys (nice armor, Yak.)....great comparisons Pete. Ya the SPFX faceplate being a 20th C derivative is smaller because the 20th C is smaller than the original ESB, but also smaller because it's lost size with remolding. So when compared back to an original GH helmet (dome), it will be proportionally off, which is likely why SPFX had to modify his GH-derived dome. The CT faceplate looks comparable in size to the GH faceplate....
[/b]
To be fair. This is still at an angle and we all know that items of similar size will appear to be of different size when placed even as little as 1 centimeter apart, one further back, when comparing helmets. And to base anything on that would be unfair.
<div class='quotetop'>(lambotour @ May 21 2006, 05:32 PM) [snapback]1247942[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>(lambotour @ May 21 2006, 05:32 PM) [snapback]1247942[/snapback]</div>
The GH dome sits more upright on the CT face than on the SPFX giving it a completely different look, though, I don't see any difference of the face of the CT and the SPFX compared to the dome, as SithLord does. The only thing that looks wider on the CT is the neck area. So, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. :)

Sorry for the OT talk... now... back to business. :p

<div class='quotetop'>(NoHumorMan @ May 21 2006, 05:46 PM) [snapback]1248174[/snapback]</div>
The GH dome sits more upright on the CT face than on the SPFX giving it a completely different look, though, I don't see any difference of the face of the CT and the SPFX compared to the dome, as SithLord does. The only thing that looks wider on the CT is the neck area. So, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. :)
Sorry for the OT talk... now... back to business. :p
[/b]

Very good points. I don't have time to take better pics and all, but here was a quick pic I took a couple weeks ago in reference to the faceplate size difference. CT on left SPFX on right:

Take from it what you will. :)

Wow, nice pics :thumbsup

Paul, the oven cleaner I used is called "Easy Off" it's a 5min oven cleaner.

Wow, I didn't realise that the SPFX had changed the size of the dome that much, I have one of Phil's early models and the dome's almost identical in size and shape to my GH.

Cheers,

Kraig

There we go......apart from the CT being a bit "chubbier" :p .....the facial dimensions look to be on par. In fact, the SPFX looks a bit taller....

Either way, nice paintwork all 'round, boys.

<div class='quotetop'>(SithLord @ May 22 2006, 07:16 AM) [snapback]1248154[/snapback]</div>
....(nice armor, Yak.)....

[/b]

Thanks SL :) I loooove my GH armour :love It's just perfect, it looked great even when it was unpainted.

Cheers,

Kraig

TBH it is interesting to see the various comparisons, so thanks for sharing. I don't want to sound like a big know-it-all, but I do know a little about photography and perspective and how it can drastically change an objects size and shape if one is not careful and aware of it when taking the picture and to make conclusions from such pictures should be avoided, really. Not trying to bully anyone... just saying that pictures lie... and not all are aware of it of just how much they can lie or give false impressions.

And, like you all I love Vader and love to discuss, especially the helmet with you guys and help where ever I can to avoid misunderstandings and the like.

It is really interesting to see the CT helmet with a different dome - I always felt the dome was its weakest part - so, to see it with alternate domes really strenghtens my love for the helmet and it's potential and how much better it can look with another and better dome. Both the GH and the SPFX domes look interesting on this helmet and is definitely worth looking into more. The CT helmet is definitely one of those I will try to obtain in the future... tbh: I would love to be able to afford all types and from all makers, but alas... since the funds do not allow it I am forced to choose. A not so easy task as it may sometimes appear. :p

Hope to get my helmets painted up as cool as those shown in this topic. Keep up the good work... and please show more and don't feel deterred by my ramblings. Hope to show off mine soon and would definitely appreciate honest and constructive criticism. :thumbsup

<div class='quotetop'>(NoHumorMan @ May 22 2006, 05:00 PM) [snapback]1248855[/snapback]</div>
TBH it is interesting to see the various comparisons, so thanks for sharing. I don't want to sound like a big know-it-all, but I do know a little about photography and perspective and how it can drastically change an objects size and shape if one is not careful and aware of it when taking the picture and to make conclusions from such pictures should be avoided, really. Not trying to bully anyone... just saying that pictures lie... and not all are aware of it of just how much they can lie or give false impressions.

And, like you all I love Vader and love to discuss, especially the helmet with you guys and help where ever I can to avoid misunderstandings and the like.

It is really interesting to see the CT helmet with a different dome - I always felt the dome was its weakest part - so, to see it with alternate domes really strenghtens my love for the helmet and it's potential and how much better it can look with another and better dome. Both the GH and the SPFX domes look interesting on this helmet and is definitely worth looking into more. The CT helmet is definitely one of those I will try to obtain in the future... tbh: I would love to be able to afford all types and from all makers, but alas... since the funds do not allow it I am forced to choose. A not so easy task as it may sometimes appear. :p

Hope to get my helmets painted up as cool as those shown in this topic. Keep up the good work... and please show more and don't feel deterred by my ramblings. Hope to show off mine soon and would definitely appreciate honest and constructive criticism. :thumbsup
[/b]

NHM you are absolutely correct in regards to perspective and photography. It's one of the reasons so many disagree on matters pertaining exclusively to ANH, especially Vader. However, I can tell you without a doubt that the SPFX dome is too small for the CT faceplate and the GH dome is too big for the SPFX faceplate. The pics posted of the domes on the faceplates are pretty much what they look like in person, but the comp between the SPFX and the CT aren't as accurate or should I say a fair comparison. I wasn't trying to show a size difference between the SPFX and the CT, just a comparison in it's simplest form. I encourage everyones input and opinions and I appreciate yours and all others. It's what makes this hobby, and this forum, such a great place.

<div class='quotetop'>(Reverend Scapegoat @ May 22 2006, 05:21 PM) [snapback]1248877[/snapback]</div>
I'm actually really digging the look of Vader with a matte black dome.
[/b]

Yeah I kinda like it also. It gives Vader a battle worn look IMHO. :)

<div class='quotetop'>(lambotour @ May 22 2006, 06:29 PM) [snapback]1248927[/snapback]</div>
I encourage everyones input and opinions and I appreciate yours and all others. It's what makes this hobby, and this forum, such a great place.
[/b]

Well said. I'm glad this thread has been able to remain civil, unlike some others in the past which have not been so lucky. :)

Like some other people here I have to pick and choose the lids I own due to financial constraints. I own a cking and will probably get another two at some point. I'm leaning towards a VM01 and either a JB or GH, haven't decided yet.

Anyways, nice paint jobs guys.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back