ANH VADER brushed gunmetal paint?

paulcarson

I've seen one or two helmets that have had the silver/ gunmetal hand painted, one of them belonging to a member here. Does anyone else have an A new hope style vader helmet with this style?

I ask because I'm going to paint mine the same way. ;)

GOOD QUESTION, i know im probably gonna try it :) if it looks ratty ya did it right ;) curt

<div class='quotetop'>(paulcarson @ May 20 2006, 03:35 PM) [snapback]1247477[/snapback]</div>
I've seen one or two helmets that have had the silver/ gunmetal hand painted, one of them belonging to a member here. Does anyone else have an A new hope style vader helmet with this style?

I ask because I'm going to paint mine the same way. ;)
[/b]

I had a couple of days off last week and attempted it, I think it came out ok.....

Brushed-Vader2.jpg

Brushed-Vader.jpg

Brushed-Vader-face.jpg

I used automotive paint, I wish I hadn't, it dried too fast after painting it on (2-3 sec) and if you went over it again it would either blister or dissolve, so I had to work fast and accurate to compensate. It was a little nerve racking.

Cheers,

Kraig

Did I miss the thread on how to do it ? What's the process ? What would be best to tape off your black areas first, and then just start brushing.

These Vaders are looking awesome .

Kell

Whoa. :) some seriously good work there.

Kraig that looks brilliant. Did you mask any of the black off before painting the grey? Or was it all freehand buddy?

lambotour thats a terrific job too. :)

You'll have to give us a step by step on how this was done. I'm al psyched up to get my helmet going now.

That's a sweet looking job you've done there Lambotour :)

Hey Paul. thanks for your kind comments, I really do appreciate it :$

What I did, considering my problems with blistering, I stripped the face back to it's original gelcoat (oven cleaner works best, I used to use it on my 1:24 scale drag slotcars). Then I masked each colour off, so I didn't paint over any existing paint, so the grey is over gelcoat and the black is on gelcoat. I tried to paint it all black and do the silver over it, I got blisters...again :confused

I did, against better judgement, mask it REALLY roughly. I did it like I didn't give a damn, which I imagine would've happened in the prop dept in 1976, it was very hard to do, as I did care, it's a weird feeling.

Thanks again :)

Cheers,

Kraig

:) Wow guys...this stuff looks great. Looks like it rolled off the original assembly lines LOL

Great job Kraig BTW:)

Regards
TAZ

<div class='quotetop'>(TazVader @ May 21 2006, 09:11 PM) [snapback]1247862[/snapback]</div>
:) Wow guys...this stuff looks great. Looks like it rolled off the original assembly lines LOL

Great job Kraig BTW:)

Regards
TAZ
[/b]

TAZ....

How the heck are ya mate? great to know you're a member :thumbsup, Choib speaks highly of you. I hope you can make it to an amour party here in Vic sometime, it was great to meet Woppo a couple of months ago.

Sorry about the OT folks, it's just that it's cool to know there's someone from my neck of the globe's here too.

Anyway, I forgot to mention, the GH armour is as I got it (untrimmed) and I did do it free hand (no masking tape).

Cheers,

Kraig

Kraig, thanks for the info. What type of oven cleaner did you use? I was just wondering if that is what made the paint blister? Did you spray the paint into something before brushing it on?

Thanks. :)

Thanks for all the kind words. Kraig excellent work on yours :thumbsup The dome is a GH, but at the moment it only has black primer on it. The faceplate is a CT converted into a ANH. I've always felt that the current faceplates out there are way too small in comparison to the screen look. I had thought my SPFX helmet was pretty close, but after a comparison with the CT, I felt it (CT) was closer in size to the original. Don't get me wrong, I love the SPFX, but the faceplate seems a little bit smaller than it should be. I believe Phil thinks the same, which is why he has widen the neck area and made modifications to his. Here's a comp, CT on left SPFX on right.:

I initially did something similar to what Kraig did, but opted for something different in the end. I sprayed the whole helmet in a flat black, waited several days then sanded it with 1000 grit. The light sanding gives it a worn look which is what I wanted. I then repainted it with gunmetal and waited a fews days then again sanded it with 1000 grit. I then, as Paul had asked, sprayed the gunmetal into a cup and used a fine brush and added the paintbrush marks all over the faceplate. As Kraig stated, you want to try and do a nice job, but ultimately the crappier the better :) After that I just masked off the areas for the black. I still need to remove a bit of the black on the cheeks and so forth. I actually scratched up the faceplate prior to painting it, adding the necessary indents on the cheek, noseslots etc. The knowledge of the members of this forum helps out tremendously when going for a screen look on anything, so thanks to all of you.

Hope this helps anyone interested in doing a crappy job on their ANH helmet. Keep the pics coming. :D

Thanks for that. :) I like the look of both of your helmets. The spfx does indeed look a lot smaller than the CT. I know that the spfx is a bit further back in the photo but you can see the difference.

I don't suppose you could give us a closeup on the "damage" could you? Are you going to display this by itself or on a full size mannequin?

Je$u$....is that just perspective or is the SPFX THAT much smaller? :eek It looks like a DP Standard next to the CT/GH combo.

<div class='quotetop'>(KevVader @ May 21 2006, 11:24 AM) [snapback]1247936[/snapback]</div>
Je$u$....is that just perspective or is the SPFX THAT much smaller? :eek It looks like a DP Standard next to the CT/GH combo.
[/b]

Here's a side by side. Yeah in that one pic the CT looks a lot bigger, here is a more fair comp:

Paul, as soon as I can I'll shoot some pics of the "damaged" areas. :) BTW IMHO I don't believe the nose was painted silver on the original. Of all the screen caps and pics I've studied it appears that the nose was left the same gunmetal color as the faceplate. As you can tell I've left it gunmetal.

Awesome Pete, I think you did a great job with the combo :) .

edited: ok nevermind and thanks for the new pic

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back