ANH tusken raider costume build.

E3thousand

I'm building a tusken raider for Halloween. this is my first build and I'm mostly scavenging in terms of supplies. i dont really have enough money to buy things like kits for heads and bondo and such because I'm only 14. but I think its coming well. to start out i made a ball of paper and plastic bags the size of my head. then i added tome wads of paper to the front to form the snout thing in front. I was able to cover the snout ans tusk area but then i ran out of clay. i plan on adding pics as soon as i get my phone set up or i get a new camera.

i made a bust of my head for under $20 i went to micheals arts and craft and bought a big roll of plaster wrap (you can print a 40% off coupon off and use it once per visit) then went to walmart and got a couple of cans of spray foam and i had a big wooden dowel or pvc pipe and first i get a friend (one you trust lol) and i put plastic wrap over my hair and smeared vasiline on my face and neck and had my wife cut up the plaster wrap in 3-5 inch strips and put it over the front of my face then i had her put a little piece of plastic wrap over the edge of that plaster pieces then had her do the back let it set then had her pull the two pieces off i coated the inside with vasiline and taped the two pieces together and started putting the spray foam in with the dowel in it as strait as possible and if the foam starts to come up over the top you can squirt water on it but not to much let dry and there ya go i use mine all the time the first time i did was to make a tuskan raider i made mine out of cardboard paper mache and some old carhartte bibs and pvc and i think the whole thing cost me less than about $40 to make and its 501st approved so good luck to you

Hi there, the Tusken Raider mask is the first thing I ever built. I bought a vac-form faceplate from Jeff at studio creations for $20 (years ago). I followed Studio Creations' tutorial. It turned out looking pretty good.

The spikes at the top of the head I used wooden coat pegs (you find them in the woodworking department at Home depot). They look like long stemmed mushroom. Just cut the top and bottom portions off.

The "tooth" above the mouth I carved out of a block of wood.

The tusks on the cheeks are permanent marks I bought at staples. They come in bulk packs (you'll have a couple tries to get them right). You could also steal a couple from the school supply closet.... did I say that?:lol

The eyes were made by heating PVC pipe and stretching it over a wooden leg you can buy in Home Depot's woodworking department. The PVC "electrical conduit" was bought at HD too. It's so cheap $5 at the most and you get 10 feet of it!

Anyway here is a photo of another one I started a while back. It's made of nothing but junk I had left over.

Feel free to PM me if you need help. Make sure you check out studio creations' site. TK409 made a nice costume too.

The Definitive How To - Tusken Raider Costume

i made a bust of my head for under $20 i went to micheals arts and craft and bought a big roll of plaster wrap (you can print a 40% off coupon off and use it once per visit) then went to walmart and got a couple of cans of spray foam and i had a big wooden dowel or pvc pipe and first i get a friend (one you trust lol) and i put plastic wrap over my hair and smeared vasiline on my face and neck and had my wife cut up the plaster wrap in 3-5 inch strips and put it over the front of my face then i had her put a little piece of plastic wrap over the edge of that plaster pieces then had her do the back let it set then had her pull the two pieces off i coated the inside with vasiline and taped the two pieces together and started putting the spray foam in with the dowel in it as strait as possible and if the foam starts to come up over the top you can squirt water on it but not to much let dry and there ya go i use mine all the time the first time i did was to make a tuskan raider i made mine out of cardboard paper mache and some old carhartte bibs and pvc and i think the whole thing cost me less than about $40 to make and its 501st approved so good luck to you

Than sounds like a good idea. I'll probably do that if what I'm doing doesn't work. I had built the basic shape of the head and thencovered it in a layer of clay to help add details. Then I was going to spray that with plasti-dip. ( I have a lot left over from a costume I tried to make. I never got anywhere because my tube of omni-stick fell apart.) after the plasti-dipl I would use plaster to finish it. Would that work?

I think you're over thinking the head.

If you wanna go really cheap and easy. Forget the plaster, clay, plasti-dip and just make the "face plate" out of paper mache!

Seal the final paper mache "form" with white glue and paint it. You only need the face plate to glue the parts to. It gets totally covered anyway so it's doesn't need to be too elaborate.

I found this toy musket in my basement and thought that with a few modifications it would make a pretty decent tusken cycler. I had wanted to make a gaffi stick but my 11 and 4 year old brothers are bound to either break it or each other with it. So unless I come up with a good way to pad it I'm gonna have to stick to building a rifle.

View attachment 68924

I whittled it down a bit to look more accurate

View attachment 68939

I'm not sure how I'm going to fix the stalk or what to use for the things on the sides. In terms of found objects, I just found these:

View attachment 68940
View attachment 68941

And looking though one

View attachment 68942

I feel like these are almost perfect. The only real problems are the fact that it's not a cone the full length but I think that looks better. Also that they have little indentions in the ends but I kind of like that too. I'm not going to try to make it 501 accepted because I wan. To add my own personal touch. Plus I'm no old enough to join. If I were I would make it that way.

Last edited:
Very promising...was thinking of looking into the "Godzilla" kit, but i'd like to see how this turns out, might give this a shot myself.

i cut off the paper mache :D:thumbsup and added more newspaper strips on the inside to reinforce it without having to do the details on the outside. my glue isn't working very well so its taking a while. ill put a photo up to nite, since i have to go to school soon.:(

i also found a hokey helmet that fits me perfectly for 1 dollar :D

this is the style of marker you want to use for the tusks on the cheeks. Just cut off the first tip that holds the felt tip nib, then cut the back of the marker off to make it the right length. Wear gloves when you rip out the ink cartridge from the marker shaft.

Sorry it's taken so so long to update. I sprained my wrist a little while ago and have been trying to catch up in schoolwork. But now it's finally time for some updates!

I made the masks mouth way to big but I plan of fixing it with more paper mâché when I get more newspaper

The face:
View attachment 69984

And the top:
View attachment 69985

I also got some tea dyed cloth to make the outer robe. I like although I'd like to make this part as screen accurate as possible.

View attachment 69986

And this is the helmet before I added all that paper.

183f1a9f-3cb0-e7b7.jpg

Last edited:
this is the style of marker you want to use for the tusks on the cheeks. Just cut off the first tip that holds the felt tip nib, then cut the back of the marker off to make it the right length. Wear gloves when you rip out the ink cartridge from the marker shaft.

I will do, That looks perfect!

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back