ANH Trooper build

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by echo5633, Dec 21, 2011.

1. echo5633

echo5633 Active Member

Came across terra1's build and decided i had to have one.. Any feed back would be much appreciated. This is my first build and I plan to take it all the way. first the helm then the rest of the armor i have the helm, chest, back, shoulder bells, and ab plate pep'ed time to fiber glass bondo and sand sand sand sand and sand with more sanding. :) wish me luck and I'll try to keep it updated but i'm lazy and with school, work and no days off this make take a while.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  2. echo5633

echo5633 Active Member

pep is done and fiber glassed [​IMG]

3. echo5633

echo5633 Active Member

4. echo5633

echo5633 Active Member

I took all these pics with my phone so they might be a little distorted threw some bondo on it and started sanding. I've never used bondo before but I learned quick.. I think [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
  5. echo5633

echo5633 Active Member

I can't find milliput anywhere... I live in central california and the closest place is hours away and i'm way too impatient to wait for it to come in the mail so i picked up some lock tight multi use putty. it seems to work ok. I'm gonna keep building, bondoing, and sanding any imput or advice would be awesome
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

6. Drewid

Drewid Well-Known Member

Nice progress! Are you doing the ear pieces separately?

7. echo5633

echo5633 Active Member

I plan on putting the ear pieces on later when I do more of the detailing I'm just trying to get all the basics done first. I want to get as close to screen accurate as I can. I'm not sure if the ear pieces are separate or if the helmet is all one piece.

8. R2Dan

R2Dan Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

the originals were 4 pieces. Cap and Back, faceplate, and the ears hiding the seam of these two.

9. echo5633

echo5633 Active Member

thats what i thought.. I think im gonna do it all one piece mold it and make more that way i dont want to deal with vac forming and putting it together piece by piece. vac forming is fun and all but the HIPS I have is brittle and tears easy and my shop vac/vac table is **** for detail

10. Darth Pinhead

Darth Pinhead Active Member

11. echo5633

echo5633 Active Member

build up the cheeks and and eye edges also put in the top nose ridge.. alot of work to go but its coming together piece by piece
    [​IMG][​IMG]

12. JoeLuna33

JoeLuna33 New Member

Looking good, not sure if I would have the patients for a build like this.

13. echo5633

echo5633 Active Member

put some ears on it.. I need to build them out but they look good so far and primered it for ****s and giggles. I'm happy with it so far
    [​IMG]

14. Lando

Lando Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

looking good, keep it up

15. zacic

zacic Member

Looking great! but where did you get the Helmet Pep? I have all the armor parts EXCEPT for the helmet :cry Is it a payed Pep or am I missing the thread.

16. echo5633

echo5633 Active Member

17. VaultUK

VaultUK Well-Known Member

Loking great

18. loco lord

loco lord New Member

looks great! looking forward to the finished helmet :D

19. tk 9464

tk 9464 Member

Great job on the lid. Would like to see the final product.

20. KingJawa

KingJawa Active Member

Looking great so far, when I have time I plan on making one myself.

21. echo5633

echo5633 Active Member

I haven't spent much time on it lately just got a copy of skyrim so i've been cracking out on that... smoothing everything out slowly but surely.. gonna finish the ears and start on the mouth piece hopefully ill be done in the next week or so but I'm lazy so it'll prolly be longer.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. Crank729

Crank729 Sr Member

looks good man

23. leromero

leromero New Member

Kudos for what you have done with this helmet. Definitely looks good.

24. echo5633

echo5633 Active Member

cut out the cheek and dome indention's, filled them in with puddy and and continue to flesh out the nose and eyes. tagged it up with magic marker to get a better idea of what im trying to accomplish... and cause i was bored =) feel free to nit pick and tell me what can be improved. gonna work on adding the teeth and finishing the ears tonight.. I can almost see the light at the end of the tunnel

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. sgtski

sgtski Member

I am constantly amazed at the skills demonstrated by people on this forum. Great work.

26. echo5633

echo5633 Active Member

two steps forward one step back........ working on a vocoder then all i have to do is make it look pretty

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

27. rob8821

rob8821 New Member

that looks awesome so far!great work!..

28. GeneralFROSTY

GeneralFROSTY Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Holy cow! GREAT pep work right there! It's incredible how some of you guys can do this, I simply don't have the patience!

29. CSMacLaren

CSMacLaren Sr Member

Fantastic work. Having done a scratchbuilt trooper (though without Pep) I can attest to how challenging such a project is. Well done!

30. echo5633

echo5633 Active Member

So i haven't posted any updates lately I've been crazy busy with work, school, and everyday life but I have been working on things... a lot of things. People see a cool helmet and the next thing i know i have a whole list of things they want me to make. So i have four different projects going on right now Storm trooper, Darth Vader, Halo, and Sauron. I wasn't satisfied with the storm trooper helmet.. I thought it was too small so I've made it a little larger and have really been focusing on the small details I want it perfect or * close to it before I mold it. I have all my project in different stages so there is no waiting time between fiberglassing bondoing and sanding that way i feel like im getting the most out of what little time i have to work on these project.

31. echo5633

echo5633 Active Member

32. echo5633

echo5633 Active Member

almost forgot my dogs at at costume... I'm having a "May the 4th be with you" Party and my dogs gotta be rocking star wars too so here's what i have started.. don't mind the over excited young lady in the back haha
    [​IMG]

33. echo5633

echo5633 Active Member

I started working on a vocoder my first attempt was gluing hot glue sticks together and bending them with a heat gun using lock tight putty to keep it in place.... fail. the glue sticks were too big. Next three attempt i bought glow sticks for a buck or two at the crafts store and did basically the same thing i did with the glue sticks and i finally got one i liked. I wish i had more pics but when I'm in the middle of working on it i forget about everything else.
    [​IMG]

34. echo5633

echo5633 Active Member

Final product I made ear pieces out of the lock tight putty i couldn't get two that look enough alike i would sand each down till there was nothing and start over so i made one i liked and mold casted it. The helmet is done and im gonna work on the mold and jacket tomorrow or today i should say after work.. wish me luck
    [​IMG]

35. echo5633

echo5633 Active Member

36. Obi Sean Kenobi

Obi Sean Kenobi Well-Known Member

37. falconNL

falconNL Active Member

loving this!

38. rosskow

rosskow Well-Known Member

this really is an impressive build, great looking bucket. very well done.
    be nice to see a cast all painted up.

39. echo5633

echo5633 Active Member

So I found out the hard way that Rustoleum primer has fish oil in it and fish oil is a cure inhibitor for rebound 25 wasted a decent amount on a first attempt the silicone came out tacky and uncured on the first detail layer.. =( that was a sad night. SO i took that opportunity to make a couple changes and fix a couple little flaws i saw here and there after wet sanding and making it pretty. I grabbed some new all purpose primer ( which kind of sucks) that doesn't have fish oil and just to make sure I'm gonna put on a nice thickish clear coat so I hopefully wont have the same problem.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
  40. echo5633

echo5633 Active Member

I also fiberglassed the chest plate and started hacking it up to make it more accurate... I just started tonight while i was waiting for some spot putty to kick on the helmet not much of an update but its all I've got. ( I'm wearing like 5 sweaters it was freezing and raining like crazy outside )
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

41. Korban

Korban Member

Everything is looking great! Looking forward to seeing more. And thanks for encouraging me to get off my backside and get back to work on my trooper build. ;)

42. 466

466 New Member

Looking good so far :D

43. echo5633

echo5633 Active Member

Okay... so I've extended the ridge on the back of the helmet to meet the top of the ears and filled in some dents i found when i was wet sanding ( last time I THOUGHT i was done) so I'm official calling it. I feel like if i do anything else I'm just gonna mess something up. This might be pic over kill since not a lot is different from the last ones but i took them so here they are :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

44. MwNN

MwNN Member

Wow, your helmet came out fantastic! Congrats on a great build! I wish I had your skill and patience to do something like this. Really nice job, it looks great! You should be proud with the way it came out!

45. Rikarus

Rikarus Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

that is freaking amazing! well done sir!

and Love the doggy ATAT

46. SpaceCowboy

SpaceCowboy Active Member

Your bucket looks outstanding, great job!!

47. echo5633

echo5633 Active Member

Thanks for the compliments and for the pep file ( spacebowboy )... just finished the molding process just waiting for the plasti paste to dry here are some pics of the progress
    first detail coat did my best for no bubbles
    [​IMG]
    second coat
    [​IMG]
    Pre made some keys with an ice tray
    [​IMG]
    Third and final coat
    [​IMG]
    I trimmed down the keys to about half size then mohawked it and plati pasted
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  48. rosskow

rosskow Well-Known Member

it looks like a beaut'

will you be offering out some free samples :love

49. JonFoster

JonFoster New Member

That's a heck of a nice helmet!

50. echo5633

echo5633 Active Member

Gave my arms a nice work out today the mold came out pretty good a few minor imperfections that can be easily dealt with... but its still upsetting that the mold didn't come out as well as i wanted ( perfect ). I'm gonna be pretty busy the rest of this weekend but I'm hoping to find the time to finish at least one helmet.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]