ANH Stunt Gino V2 Build - Finished!

tubachris85x

Master Member
Picked this up from a member on the legion forums. I've never built a TK helmet before but been wanting one for my collection for some time now. Got pretty far with it since receiving it. While it's not perfect, it's in the "spirit" of the originals which, upon closer inspection, were quite nasty.

The previous owner did most of the hard work, trimming the eyes, teeth, back, etc. and even drilled the initial holes for marrying the dome/back to the face, so It's really about assembly and finishing.

Got the first ear on.

xWr8B2V.jpg

9ES0Mp9.jpg

A little bit off the back was taken too far in from trimming though...

D6WqKHv.jpg

Anyways...

More recent pics from yesterday/today

2nd ear finally on. Not as satisfied with it but it has it's charm

3nJpOG6.jpg

Dry-fitted the inner trim....

This side looks good

siS30Vk.jpg

That issue from earlier? Had to make it work somehow

3JqpVH4.jpg

Getting the visor placed and mounted wasn't difficult. Quite easy and nice to do. Once I got it mounted, I marked and cut down some of the excess to allow it to be more comfortable to wear

hMUJdI2.jpg

BHwhKCH.jpg

So that's where I'm at currently.

The mic tips that came with it appear to be resin cast pieces from a 3D printed model. While they're still nice, they are way too big for this helmet, so I'll have to source an alternative. To add, I'd like to add the yellow-star cut foam and accurate chin-strap.....Not sure who can supply those

Additionally, I feel the brow trim is too wide compared to reference...I'm not sure what the proper width should be

Just comes down to painting the details....

Thanks

-TC

Re: ANH Stunt Gino V2 Build

You can get some good mic tips from Trooper bay, that's where I got mine and I'm very pleased with them. Not sure if they have the foam star though.
Nice looking helmet!

You can get some good mic tips from Trooper bay, that's where I got mine and I'm very pleased with them. Not sure if they have the foam star though.
Nice looking helmet!

I've contacted Keith about his mic tips so hopefully will be able to get some from him soon enough. I think I heard that TM does the padding but should probably message him first

Anyways..

Started the painting process today. Learned how craptastic I am at hand painting. I think my problem is that I'm so used to relying on masking that I messed myself up here. I masked off most of the areas needed, with the exception of the vocodor and the tear-drops, and got some serious bleed through. I did read on whitearmor just using a toothpick after the paint is dried can remove unwanted paint..so I got a bit of clean up to do.

The vocodor is not as "accurate" as I'd like either but it's all a learning process....

Last edited by a moderator:

Getting there. I'm getting close to finishing, really.

Added the tube stripes and cleaned up the tear-drop lines as best I could. I have absolutely no skill with straight lines. Not as good as I'd like but I'm going to stop screwing around with it. I had to also go back and extend the left-side front trapazoid. I realized I didn't go as high as I should have for it per the reference. Last things I need to do is add the vertical lines on the rear trapazoid, but I'll actually develop a template for that. I also need to go and round out the corners on the trapazoids a bit more, but other than that, I may just need to replace the brow trim with something thinner...

IYbzXG6.jpg

Mic tips arrived from Kieth yesterday!

ZIytxkz.jpg

All that's really left now is the rear trapezoid stripes, which I've just been putting off...then adding the foam and chin strap then perhaps some polishing....

Re: ANH Stunt Gino V2 Build - Finnished!

So I decided to let my OCD get a slide and declare this finished. We had an armor party yesterday and a local who's well versed with TK's gave it a pass of acceptence. He's the kind of guy who'll tell you straight up if something looks like crap...so I guess that's a good thing. This was my first ever TK helmet build after all...Might replace the foam padding with the ones provided by RS props eventually..as it's thinner than trooperbay's and easier for me to wear

GOKYIhE.jpg

H7H8AKt.jpg

gZKXwUx.jpg

uO5M5aw.jpg

pHbG1F5.jpg

Up84KJ0.jpg

-TC

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back