ANH Stormtrooper Bucket (Fierfek's Pep File): Bondo and Sanding

Re: ANH Stormtrooper Bucket (Fierfek's Pep File)

Nice work! Your off to a great start. I'm considering making another TK helmet file without the vocoder attached to make it easier to build. Also, I scaled the helmet to the height Space Cowboy specified, so the size should have been pretty close. Now you're at the fun part of filling and sanding, be prepared to put in more than a couple hours to get a smooth finish.
I am at a stand still with that stormtrooper helmet. Building one without the vocoder would be a great idea. Even better, one that has the vocoder detached but in the build so you could attach it. THAT WOULD RULE!!! I have gotten to that part and messed up big time on a couple now stormtrooper helmets and have come to an impasse. Fierfek if you could build one with it not attached and in the build, I will try one more time.

Just purchased some milliput. I really can't wait to get home from uni and work on this beast.

First layer of Bondo is on. There is alot of sanding ahead.

photo.jpg

photo3.jpg

photo1.jpg

Hey Darth... how long does it take to dry?...

Is it really bondo (body filler) that you used?... usually it will only takes minutes to dry and wait 1 hr before sanding it... unless you forgot to mix the hardener, or too little hardener, or not thoroughly mixed... :confused

Also, bondo is usually kinda pinkish in color when mixed with hardener which refering to your 1st bondo application photos seems different...:confused (not sure about the color of other body filler brand)...

If after 1 hr and it is still not dry... hmmmmm... there might be a problem im not sure... really hope I'm wrong...:facepalm

Hey Darth... how long does it take to dry?...

Is it really bondo (body filler) that you used?... usually it will only takes minutes to dry and wait 1 hr before sanding it... unless you forgot to mix the hardener, or too little hardener, or not thoroughly mixed... :confused

Also, bondo is usually kinda pinkish in color when mixed with hardener which refering to your 1st bondo application photos seems different...:confused (not sure about the color of other body filler brand)...

If after 1 hr and it is still not dry... hmmmmm... there might be a problem im not sure... really hope I'm wrong...:facepalm

So i was a little impatient in saying it's taking forever. It took just over an hour. This photo was taken just after i bondoed the face. The dome and back had already been done and dried solid.

It looks alot pinker in person but still isn't as pink as others I've seen (I'm assuming its the brand I used). I apalogise for the horrible photo quality.

Thanks for your comment. :)

Hey Darth,

I am about to start this file and was wondering if you could post some more pics of the vocoder area that you redesigned, I want to copy your idea of making the vocoder l8r. Any helpful tips would also be appreciated! thanks!

(You can just PM me the info.)

Wow, you really globbed it on there. :confused

That's going to be a lot of fun sanding/carving out the details.

Otherwise, it looks like you have one hell of a build going on. keep at it!

If You ever do another pepakura build, I STRONGLY suggest you do the bondo stage in portions with small passes of it each time. Not only will this save you TONS of time, it will also give you sharper lines.

Looking good anyway!

Crank729 and The Ronin:

thanks for your advice. I plan on using milliput to get the detail back and hopefully this works. If i do another pep build I'll definetely try what you guys are saying. I plan on buying a sanding mouse. This will hopefuly save me some time but i don't want to rush it.
Thanks again.
Darth

Last edited:

So I'm still at uni and I decided instead of studying, that I would build the TK armor. Depending on how well the bucket turns out will determine whether or not I complete the full armor, but we shall see.

Heres some photos of the chest armor anyway.

Cheers

Photo0213.jpg

Photo0214.jpg

Photo0215.jpg

Okay. So I had a major stuff up. I didn't put enough hardener in most of the bondo. Is there a way to harden it up? Would coating in resin work?

Or...

...am I going to have to bite the bullet and and scrape it off and what is the best method to get it off.

I am pretty gutted about this but atleast I will learn from it hopefully.
Cheers

I have been doing a bit of sanding as of late and just trying to smooth it out. It's a very slow process. Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix the dome up a bit. It's lacking the dome shape.

Photo0249.jpg

Photo0248.jpg

Photo0247.jpg

Photo0245.jpg

Cheers.

Last edited:

hey Darth Storm looking good so far!

dont sand off too much bondo between layers mate, thats what i did and it took me forever.

apply a layer and give it a quick sand to smooth off the sharp bits and obvious bumps, like in your photographs above. then apply/skim another layer of bondo on. each new layer fills the imperfections in the pervious layer, and naturally smooth out the dome. keep applying new layers and sanding a bit in-between until it starts looking dome like.

doing it this way will also give you a nice thick layer that once the dome it looking close to dome like you will be able to give it a major sand without sanding thru to the paper.

sand less at the early stages, add to the low spots instead of sanding down the high bits to same level as the low spots. (hope that makes sense and helps a little :) )

hey Darth Storm looking good so far!

dont sand off too much bondo between layers mate, thats what i did and it took me forever.

apply a layer and give it a quick sand to smooth off the sharp bits and obvious bumps, like in your photographs above. then apply/skim another layer of bondo on. each new layer fills the imperfections in the pervious layer, and naturally smooth out the dome. keep applying new layers and sanding a bit in-between until it starts looking dome like.

doing it this way will also give you a nice thick layer that once the dome it looking close to dome like you will be able to give it a major sand without sanding thru to the paper.

sand less at the early stages, add to the low spots instead of sanding down the high bits to same level as the low spots. (hope that makes sense and helps a little :) )

Thanks so much for your input Terra1. You are the one that inspired me to begin this build in the first place. I have read through all of your pages and you did an absolutely amazing job. If mine looks half as good as yours I will be extatic.

Cheers again for your words.

I have been doing a bit of sanding as of late and just trying to smooth it out. It's a very slow process. Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix the dome up a bit. It's lacking the dome shape.

http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x342/screwe12/Photo0249.jpg

Cheers.

Kinda hard to explain but what you have to do to give it more of a dome shape is to apply more filler on the lowers parts of the dome that you are working on and then try to sand down only the excess but at the same time be careful not to sand down the lower sections were is needing the filler.

hope this helps

You have to apply and then sand and repeat this process. This is what im doing to fill everything and have an equal all around surface. As for the dome mine its flatten on the top and im just adding bondo in a cone shape as to have that round shape. Its an eye thing. I keep wachting where i have to add to keep things even. This is how im doing.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back