ANH Stormtrooper Bucket (Fierfek's Pep File): Bondo and Sanding

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by Darth Storm, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Darth Storm

Darth Storm New Member

So this is my first ever pep. It began when I had no internet over the holidays so thought I'd build something. Prior to that i was following Terra1 and Hoopers bucket builds and was inspired to make my own. Thanks to Fierfek for the Pep file.

Photos will follow shortly. I apologise in advance for the quality of the photos (or lack of). I used the camera on my phone.

I'm not going for screen accurate but i would like to make it look as close as i can to the real thing.

Any feedback is welcomed.

Thanks

Last edited: Jun 6, 2012
  2. Darth Storm

Darth Storm New Member

Re: ANH Stormtrooper Bucket (Fierfek's Pep File)

So i tryed superglue but it didne't seem to stick the paper at all. I just managed to stick my fingers together. I then tried paper glue which worked well. I did however use to much on the dome bit so it was really sticky, but i got the hang of it after a while

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Darth Storm

Darth Storm New Member

The bucket seems slightly larger than it should be but other than that I'm happy with it so far. I decided to just fill in the vocoder with paper and ill cut it out and make it out of wood or something later similar to what hooper did.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Darth Storm

Darth Storm New Member

As does everybody else I ressined the outside to harden it all. It warped slightly so i got out my mums hairdryer and heated it up to ben it back into place.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Darth Storm

Darth Storm New Member

I used spray glue to glue in the fibreglass sheets before i ressinned them. I'm going to say now I HATE FIBREGLASSING! It is so frustrating to do.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Darth Storm

Darth Storm New Member

I was sick of looking at all of the numbers so I sprayed it with some primer. I thought it would also give the bondo something to stick to and help me see where needed some attention.

[​IMG][​IMG]

7. Joe Pep

Joe Pep Active Member

Looks great so far. I messed up big time when it came to the vocoder and connecting the dome to the rest of the project, so I scrapped the whole thing. I hope you will show what you are going to do with the vocoder. I might actually try again....

8. Darth Storm

Darth Storm New Member

Thanks Joe pep. I'm currently at uni so i won't be doing anything for a while but hopefully when i get home I will get cracking and maybe finish it.

9. elvenisman2

elvenisman2 Member

This looks awesome so far :)
    my only question is where did you get the pep file for this?? ive been searching everywheere D: !

10. Darth Storm

Darth Storm New Member

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  11. Fierfek

Fierfek Sr Member

Nice work! Your off to a great start. I'm considering making another TK helmet file without the vocoder attached to make it easier to build. Also, I scaled the helmet to the height Space Cowboy specified, so the size should have been pretty close. Now you're at the fun part of filling and sanding, be prepared to put in more than a couple hours to get a smooth finish.

12. Darth Storm

Darth Storm New Member

Fierfek:
    The pep was great. I always liked puzzles when i was younger so i guess this was like a big 3d puzzle. I think if this didn't have the vocoder and maybe the ears (for lack of a better word) built in it was be so much easier to build. Trying to fibreglass the inside of the ears was a nightmare. in the end i poored resin in because the fibreglass just wouldnt sit right. Maybe it just seemed bigger than i thought it was suposed to be. It's a great file none the less. Thank you so much for all your hard work Fierfek. I hopefully will have plenty of time when the holidays come around to finish it or atleast get a bit of work done on it. I can't wait to get back to it.

13. rosskow

rosskow Well-Known Member

keep it going, great start

14. Darth Storm

Darth Storm New Member

Thanks rosskow :)

15. pRoJectEarth7

pRoJectEarth7 Well-Known Member

Nice work there man...:):thumbsup

IMO any paint should be applied after the bondo or filler stage... the reason is that the filler or bondo is made of polyester and the fiberglass resin is also made of polyester... this will make a hard bond to each other... applying any paint (even primer) might/will weaken the bond... just my 2 cents...;)

Anyhow, you're getting there and seeing that you visited terra1's thread is an assurance that you'll have a great result...

keep building...:thumbsup

cheers!

16. Atlanthia

Atlanthia Sr Member

That's shaping up really nicely! I am looking forward to seeing how this works out.

I see you have already checked out Terra1's build of this file. the man is on fire!!!

Keep up the great work!

17. Ghost Host

Ghost Host Sr Member

looks great!

18. Darth Storm

Darth Storm New Member

Thanks Atlanthia and ghost host.

pRoJectEarth7:
    I did not realise that. Hopefully it turns out alright and it doesn't effect the bondo to much. Thanks for your help.

19. Atlanthia

Atlanthia Sr Member

With absolutely total respect to ProjectEarth7, there is a layer of card between the fibreglass on the inside and the paint on the outside. Even if you applied your 'bondo' directly onto the card, there is STILL the layer of card between the two polyester products. Don't worry about the paint, Darthy. Just get the * built! :lol
    The paint will have absolutely no repercussions whatsoever ever. Remember.......Bondo in thin coats over small areas and sand between applications. This gives you less to sand each time, allows you to concentrate on one area at a time, and ALSO allows the next bondo application to go on more smoothly.
    You are on a winner here, Chap and I am hooked until the finish!

Darren

20. Darth Storm

Darth Storm New Member

I think Projectearth7 said "he fiberglass resin" meaning the resin itself but hopefully it has no effect at all.

Thanks for the advice mate. Sounds like i have alot of sanding and reapplying ahead of me.

Thanks so much.

21. Joe Pep

Joe Pep Active Member

I am at a stand still with that stormtrooper helmet. Building one without the vocoder would be a great idea. Even better, one that has the vocoder detached but in the build so you could attach it. THAT WOULD RULE!!! I have gotten to that part and messed up big time on a couple now stormtrooper helmets and have come to an impasse. Fierfek if you could build one with it not attached and in the build, I will try one more time.

22. Darth Storm

Darth Storm New Member

Just purchased some milliput. I really can't wait to get home from uni and work on this beast.

23. Darth Storm

Darth Storm New Member

First layer of Bondo is on. There is alot of sanding ahead.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. Darth Storm

Darth Storm New Member

It took took forever to dry.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  25. pRoJectEarth7

pRoJectEarth7 Well-Known Member

Hey Darth... how long does it take to dry?...

Is it really bondo (body filler) that you used?... usually it will only takes minutes to dry and wait 1 hr before sanding it... unless you forgot to mix the hardener, or too little hardener, or not thoroughly mixed... :confused

Also, bondo is usually kinda pinkish in color when mixed with hardener which refering to your 1st bondo application photos seems different...:confused (not sure about the color of other body filler brand)...

If after 1 hr and it is still not dry... hmmmmm... there might be a problem im not sure... really hope I'm wrong...:facepalm

26. Darth Storm

Darth Storm New Member

So i was a little impatient in saying it's taking forever. It took just over an hour. This photo was taken just after i bondoed the face. The dome and back had already been done and dried solid.

It looks alot pinker in person but still isn't as pink as others I've seen (I'm assuming its the brand I used). I apalogise for the horrible photo quality.

Thanks for your comment. :)

27. GoGators

GoGators New Member

Hey Darth,

I am about to start this file and was wondering if you could post some more pics of the vocoder area that you redesigned, I want to copy your idea of making the vocoder l8r. Any helpful tips would also be appreciated! thanks!

(You can just PM me the info.)

28. The Ronin

The Ronin Well-Known Member

Wow, you really globbed it on there. :confused

That's going to be a lot of fun sanding/carving out the details.

Otherwise, it looks like you have one hell of a build going on. keep at it!

29. Crank729

Crank729 Sr Member

If You ever do another pepakura build, I STRONGLY suggest you do the bondo stage in portions with small passes of it each time. Not only will this save you TONS of time, it will also give you sharper lines.

Looking good anyway!

30. Darth Storm

Darth Storm New Member

Crank729 and The Ronin:

thanks for your advice. I plan on using milliput to get the detail back and hopefully this works. If i do another pep build I'll definetely try what you guys are saying. I plan on buying a sanding mouse. This will hopefuly save me some time but i don't want to rush it.
    Thanks again.
    Darth

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  31. Darth Storm

Darth Storm New Member

So I'm still at uni and I decided instead of studying, that I would build the TK armor. Depending on how well the bucket turns out will determine whether or not I complete the full armor, but we shall see.

Heres some photos of the chest armor anyway.

Cheers

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

32. Darth Storm

Darth Storm New Member

Okay. So I had a major stuff up. I didn't put enough hardener in most of the bondo. Is there a way to harden it up? Would coating in resin work?

Or...

...am I going to have to bite the bullet and and scrape it off and what is the best method to get it off.

I am pretty gutted about this but atleast I will learn from it hopefully.
    Cheers

33. Darth Storm

Darth Storm New Member

I have been doing a bit of sanding as of late and just trying to smooth it out. It's a very slow process. Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix the dome up a bit. It's lacking the dome shape.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheers.

Last edited: May 7, 2012
  34. terra1

terra1 Active Member

hey Darth Storm looking good so far!

dont sand off too much bondo between layers mate, thats what i did and it took me forever.

apply a layer and give it a quick sand to smooth off the sharp bits and obvious bumps, like in your photographs above. then apply/skim another layer of bondo on. each new layer fills the imperfections in the pervious layer, and naturally smooth out the dome. keep applying new layers and sanding a bit in-between until it starts looking dome like.

doing it this way will also give you a nice thick layer that once the dome it looking close to dome like you will be able to give it a major sand without sanding thru to the paper.

sand less at the early stages, add to the low spots instead of sanding down the high bits to same level as the low spots. (hope that makes sense and helps a little :) )

35. Darth Storm

Darth Storm New Member

Thanks so much for your input Terra1. You are the one that inspired me to begin this build in the first place. I have read through all of your pages and you did an absolutely amazing job. If mine looks half as good as yours I will be extatic.

Cheers again for your words.

36. Luis Abreu

Luis Abreu Member

37. GTImotion

GTImotion Active Member

Kinda hard to explain but what you have to do to give it more of a dome shape is to apply more filler on the lowers parts of the dome that you are working on and then try to sand down only the excess but at the same time be careful not to sand down the lower sections were is needing the filler.

hope this helps

38. Luis Abreu

Luis Abreu Member

You have to apply and then sand and repeat this process. This is what im doing to fill everything and have an equal all around surface. As for the dome mine its flatten on the top and im just adding bondo in a cone shape as to have that round shape. Its an eye thing. I keep wachting where i have to add to keep things even. This is how im doing.