ANH Red Y... kit

I see that slot too, but I don't know - squinting I can *also* see dome panels. And the object in the foam pocket looks like it might have a slot too, as I say.

Not gonna argue it though - at best, the pic isn't near good enough to be confident of much. If the size is wrong, that's final.

I'm no expert on this ship (although I have always loved it) so forgive the stupid questions but why has the one engine apparently been replaced with a new part? Is this one of the pyros that were put back together?

The story goes, she wasnt completed before the trip to Elstree, this model was used as ref for the full size mock up's, so maybe the deadline, wouldnt allow at that time....though even now, she still only bare's one Nacelle stripe.

lee

This red Y-wing model and an X-wing (Blue Leader) were originally built and flown to England as reference for the set builders. The full-size mockups were created by copying these ships, down to the paint schemes (if you look at the closeup scenes in the Yavin hangars, you'll see that same dark panel on the front left corner of the cockpit section). Since the model wasn't (at that stage) going to go before the cameras, they only painted one half. Neither model had a cockpit to begin with.

Later, both ships were returned to ILM. The X-wing was repainted with red markings following bluescreen problems with the blue ones. This Y-wing was given thrust-vectoring gear and weathering on the starboard engine at that point, but was never repainted to the new yellow Y-wing colour scheme.

Being referenced for full sized sets:

Elstreeredj.jpg

Nice pics guys! Will send again KK! As far as a Astromech I dont see any leg humps on the shipping picture and the last picture Jason just posted confirms the lancaster Turret. Man... why do I love this stuff....

Head and cockpit molds complete... I also completed four molds for the detailing of the Yellow Y patterns. Still have to get some non kits out to folks then I can concertrate on the Y Wings.

Steve

Steve

This red Y-wing model and an X-wing (Blue Leader) were originally built and flown to England as reference for the set builders. The full-size mockups were created by copying these ships, down to the paint schemes (if you look at the closeup scenes in the Yavin hangars, you'll see that same dark panel on the front left corner of the cockpit section). Since the model wasn't (at that stage) going to go before the cameras, they only painted one half. Neither model had a cockpit to begin with.

Later, both ships were returned to ILM. The X-wing was repainted with red markings following bluescreen problems with the blue ones. This Y-wing was given thrust-vectoring gear and weathering on the starboard engine at that point, but was never repainted to the new yellow Y-wing colour scheme.

Thanks for explaining; now it makes sense.

Will

it always amazes me how "cruddey" the original models were/are. we (at least I) have such an idealized picture of them in our minds its shocking to see how they are slapped together and weathered. not that it doesnt take skill to slpa them together "like that" but you can tell they were all rush jobs" by REALLY talented guys.

In that last pics its interesting to see that itts only 1/2 done and the 1/2 that is done is DONE weathering and all... very cool. I suppsoe that is all they needed to figure out the live set mockup but its still cool.

Jedi Dade

it always amazes me how "cruddey" the original models were/are. we (at least I) have such an idealized picture of them in our minds its shocking to see how they are slapped together and weathered. not that it doesnt take skill to slpa them together "like that" but you can tell they were all rush jobs" by REALLY talented guys.

In that last pics its interesting to see that itts only 1/2 done and the 1/2 that is done is DONE weathering and all... very cool. I suppsoe that is all they needed to figure out the live set mockup but its still cool.

Jedi Dade

Yeah, they weren't on their way to the Nats with those models and all those pen lights and whatnot.

would be rather entertaining to see some old school studs do a competition show...ala top chef masters. top model makers in their field tasked with a project on a limited time span. i'd def pay to see that little demonstration.

it always amazes me how "cruddey" the original models were/are.

Er, many (most?) of the Star Wars models are really pretty damn nice - not just by Hollywood standards but in an absolute sense. There are symmetry issues on the casting masters for some ships and that sort of thing but the paint jobs are often gorgeous, even up very close.

On many models they went above and beyond - we now know, for instance, that many of what were thought to be simple pyro X-wings were actually fully detailed models with "hero"-level paint jobs.

It's fair to say that many movie models are shoddy when seen up close, but personally, I wouldn't put the ones that I've seen from Star Wars in that bracket.

Nice pics guys! Will send again KK! As far as a Astromech I dont see any leg humps on the shipping picture and the last picture Jason just posted confirms the lancaster Turret. Man... why do I love this stuff....

Already had a smaller version of that pic - my theory was that someone in England might have lost the R2 and replaced it with the bottom cap, and that'd be how the Lanc turret started off with this ship.

But I agree that the pic I posted doesn't show shoulders. And as Lee mentioned, if it is too big to be an astromech then the question's moot really. I'll concede it probably was the turret from the beginning. I'm still interested in the question of why they used such a placeholder, though!

Already had a smaller version of that pic - my theory was that someone in England might have lost the R2 and replaced it with the bottom cap, and that'd be how the Lanc turret started off with this ship.

But I agree that the pic I posted doesn't show shoulders. And as Lee mentioned, if it is too big to be an astromech then the question's moot really. I'll concede it probably was the turret from the beginning. I'm still interested in the question of why they used such a placeholder, though!

Id bet that an Astromech model didnt exist at that point Martyn. You see Blue Leader (Red2) in her as firt built pics, did not have a 'mech. Even when repainted in Jason's pic, she still does not have a 'mech, and neither does the Y wing, these were both AFAIK the first Hero models, and maybe ILM hadnt gotten around to making the Astromech additions?

lee

Id bet that an Astromech model didnt exist at that point Martyn. You see Blue Leader (Red2) in her as firt built pics, did not have a 'mech. Even when repainted in Jason's pic, she still does not have a 'mech, and neither does the Y wing, these were both AFAIK the first Hero models, and maybe ILM hadnt gotten around to making the Astromech additions?

lee

Even with the hero Y's they weren't shot on screen with R2 Units in place... empty plugs... go figure. The choice is what R2 unit do you want in your replica?

Other than official published material nothing else matters.

Lee, I wanted someone else to say it but yeah, that's my (alternative) theory also. :)

Can we have cone-head type options please, Jamie? :)

Er, many (most?) of the Star Wars models are really pretty damn nice - not just by Hollywood standards but in an absolute sense. There are symmetry issues on the casting masters for some ships and that sort of thing but the paint jobs are often gorgeous, even up very close.

On many models they went above and beyond - we now know, for instance, that many of what were thought to be simple pyro X-wings were actually fully detailed models with "hero"-level paint jobs.

It's fair to say that many movie models are shoddy when seen up close, but personally, I wouldn't put the ones that I've seen from Star Wars in that bracket.

maybe I was a bit inprecise in my language with the term cruddy. I did not mean to imply that they were not well made. Rather when you look at the finishing a LOT of the models have "quick" detailing, paintjobs and weathering. Bearing in mind that a "quick" paintjob by those guys is a pretty hard paintjob to reproduce... they look "cruddy" with thick rough paint often. that effect often adds to the look they are going for, but when you see the hero ships the detailing, paint and weathering is usually flawless... but still "looks cruddy" but done with care instead of quickly ;) Maybe I'm not making sense but it makes sense to me :cool

Jedi Dade

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back