ANH Pyro X-Wing References - Mainly: Red 6 Search

Too Much Garlic

Master Member
Greetings gents, I usually don't participate in this section of the forum as I rarely have anything to contribute, save for a few praising comments about all the cool work and the wealth of knowledge that is displayed here. I really hope this is the right place to ask this question as I'm looking for picture reference of the illusive Red 6 X-Wing fighter from ANH.

I was advised to check out Modelers Miniatures and Magic: A gallery of science fiction art for reference and they indeed have a few pictures, but nothing really detailed. I was just wondering if there was more out there that was possible to share or whether people who have the high-def versions of ANH could try and take a few screen captures from their 1080p transfers. I know screen captures aren't perfect, but at least it can give a general idea of the paint work on the fighter, as I plan to have a Red 6 commissioned by a very talented artist.

Hope there's someone out there who can help in this quest. Otherwise we'll just have to work with what we've got and custom work the paint job from that.

Thanks a bunch and keep up the fantastic, aweinspiring work. :cheers

Last edited:
Re: Looking for Pictures of Studio Model Red 6 from ANH

Cant say ive seen any hi res ref on this bird, just what we already know sadly.
There must be better ref out there, but its that old NSA goverment secrecy pact going on again :lol

lee

Yeah, basically what you've seen is what there is, at least in the public domain. I'm not sure whether it can be found in the finished film unfortunately. From the shots of the remains post-explosion, it looks like maybe things didn't go to plan? Most of the fuselage is intact, for example. The Red 6 explosion scene in the actual film uses a generic 'stick guns' model.

We know it had a red cockpit canopy, a red stripe at the rear of the upper left Saturn can, a red panel/stripe on the inner left upper wing and at least one red brick panel, possibly a red gun, red panels on each side of the cockpit and a whole lotta dusty green panels. (Unless the canopy was yellow and completely different because there seems to be that photo too.) Also very heavy weathering. Canopy colour extended back in two 'horns' around the R2.

It also had a 'funny' wing but I can't talk about that publicy, I don't want to blow the secret, these things are very important you know. :p

Keep in mind that the canopy and other red areas were not the same red as the markings (or at least weren't painted at the same time) and were oversprayed heavily anyway, ending up more of a faded rust colour.

It also had the full 'black rectangles and lots of decals' treatment, so go crazy with that stuff.

Last edited:

Yeah, and also it ain't in the film, or if it is then it's exploding, as the Red 6 model was built only for pyrotechnic work.

Thanks for all the info so far. Really appreciate it. I knew I had picked a tough one, but can it be assumed that the fighter blowing up when Porkins is shot down is the Red 6 or just some random pyro version? I'm gonna check ANH tonight to see if I can spot it and hopefully grab some pics with a time-code for some with the high def versions to match for a better view.

The idea of the rusty red color on the fighter and the fact that we don't see people attempt this one very often is really appealing to me.

Colin, that assumption may not be valid now that we know about the first-class paint jobs on some of the pyros - or possibly we should say "pyros", or "the models formerly known as pyros", lol. It was definitely one of those - one of the REALLY complex and beautiful schemes.

Carsten, um, repeating, no, it's random - "The Red 6 explosion scene in the actual film uses a generic 'stick guns' model." :p

You won't find it in the movie - unless you're a better man than me at least, which hey, you probably are - but I have been through it several times with no joy. SaG provided the best ref we've got.

AFAIK nobody has yet attempted a build of this one, at least not a build that represents the actual production model. At least, not a build that represents the actual production model and is allowed to be shown off in public. Cough, cough, etc.

Don't forget the funny wing!

PS I tell you what, Red 6 is my baby; I just swooned the first time I saw that red cockpit and Saturn can. :) I was going to use one of my 3.1s but I have a Brundlefly pyro on the way so that's getting the 6 scheme instead. Anyway, when are you looking at having your guy get started? If you like, I'll clear the decks and start work on my model straight away once it arrives - that way you can avoid my mistakes. Or at least decide what bits of guesswork and interpretation look good to you, and what bits don't. Or we can bat it back and forth, I haven't discussed the absolute minutiae of the panel layout with too many people yet.

My folder of pics really only has the same stuff everybody has but I think I have the basics of the scheme fairly well worked out. You have to watch out for flipped pics and that sort of thing, and you can do things with contrast and brightness adjustment.

Cool. I'll ask him what he thinks. Personally I'd love to get as much input before starting as possible and I really don't know much about the ins and outs of the various X-Wing Fighters, but it sorta all depends on his time slot.

Martyn, you're right, of course. Also, to support what you say, I'm beginning to wonder if one of the upside-down portrait shots is not a pyro, too, to go with the Red 1 pyro shots we've noticed. Very wide open wings on it...Red 3 I think it is, can't remember for sure offhand. I'm probably gonna do Red 6 too, since it's the ref photo I've known longest - for 33 years I've been digging that McCune photo.

Red 6 is not in the film in any other state than on fire, if it's in at all - all X-wing explosion shots show models already in flames, silhouettes of debris practically...

I too want to build the red 6, and have an old CC kit sitting unfinished in a box, that would look great, but alas reference is lacking and what i know about it isnt much, especially about the "funny wing thing" martyn spoke of.

Jerry, it'll be one of the first things I do in my pyro build thread, so you won't have to wonder for long.

Some folk already think I'm Dremel-crazy from my D9 gun mods, so I'm sort of looking forward to the chance to add to that impression. :)

Red4 also has some dremeling to do Martyn, that too has a damaged trailing edge AFAIK.
Cant wait to see you tackle 6 though, im soo off X wings, so itll be great to see a new bird done.........may do a Red4 one day......its just getting even close to Juliens paint job that scares me lol.

lee

Ugh god, you and me both. Curse that Julien. :)

I wish we had ref for other hex-head astrodroid X wings...

I know my sculpting track record hasn't been the best... zero sculpts completed... but I've been talking with the guy doing the commission and we've been talking about the possibility of upping the ante a bit with the build, by having a Porkins pilot sculpt for the kit. I just don't have any studio scale pieces in the house, nor the dimensions of the X-Wing cockpit. Is there a chance there would be any interest in having such a sculpt made for these projects? Of course... I'm likely biting over much more than I can chew here, but if it turns out to be possible, I could send the master to someone skilled at mold making and he could offer copies. If I could just get my hands on a regular Studio Scale pilot and a mock-up of the X-Wing cockpit I could try and attempt this... but again... no promises of success.

Is this a stupid idea?

I know my sculpting track record hasn't been the best... zero sculpts completed... but I've been talking with the guy doing the commission and we've been talking about the possibility of upping the ante a bit with the build, by having a Porkins pilot sculpt for the kit. I just don't have any studio scale pieces in the house, nor the dimensions of the X-Wing cockpit. Is there a chance there would be any interest in having such a sculpt made for these projects? Of course... I'm likely biting over much more than I can chew here, but if it turns out to be possible, I could send the master to someone skilled at mold making and he could offer copies. If I could just get my hands on a regular Studio Scale pilot and a mock-up of the X-Wing cockpit I could try and attempt this... but again... no promises of success.

Is this a stupid idea?

I don't think that is a stupid idea at all. I think having a variety of pilots available for 1/24 builds would be a great idea. You could really use any 1/24 scale pilot as a base, and fill 'em out to Porkins proportions if you're sculpting to match the costume. The originals were Airfix 1/24 Harrier pilots with only the helment modified.

Too Much Garlic, if you need some dimensions, I'm already scratching an authentic cockpit to go with all these kit parts.
helpmeidthisbeotch.jpg

Its my understanding that the cockpit we get with the Pyro will be the same one as the Salzo V3 (same as above)... its a modified version of the real deal. Specifically, there were extra parts added. There's not much room for the pilot... you won't need from the knees down.

Though, to me the appeal of building one of these its the lineage to the originals. I wouldn't dream of adding anything but the original pilot. But hey thats just me, and I don't blame anyone for wanting to match the costumes.

BUT consider how unique an opportunity it is to build with the same parts as they had. I'm so crazy I didn't even want to use the modified cockpit... so I unmodified it.
photo-5.jpg

Yeah, I understand the drive for authenticity and having it as close as the screen used as possible. I've been obsessing like that in regards to Vader helmets for years. There's nothing sweeter than getting that extra little thing just right, something the majority couldn't and wouldn't care about, but what just makes the whole thing that much more satisfying.

Is there a place where I can get a X-Wing pilot figure or perhaps one of these Harrier figures. Dimensions would be cool, so I know how wide the seat area is.

I'm going to have to scratch some new tools for this... but that shouldn't be too hard... it's the actual sculpting that's gonna test my abilities to the limit.

The gauge console will hang over the pilot's legs a bit with the entire opening being about 1.5" long. Its just less than an 1" wide at the front and nearly 1.25" at the back.

The 1/24 Harrier is one of those donor kits that the regular modeling folks still want to build, and hard to get shipped to your door for less than $50. I can see wanting to have a pilot to start with just for size, but modding the Harrier pilot to an accurate X pilot costume would require nearly as much work as any other. While the air tube and mask are reminiscent of X chest box tubes, they aren't really in the right place. At the same site you posted above you can find the Hero Red 3 featuring the ANH era 'race car helmet' pilot further modded to reflect the actual costume. Its obvious the chest box is an added detail entirely.

Still, the best starting point I guess... but for Porkins you'd really have to beef him up. So much so, that the end result might not utilize any of the Harrier pilot detail at all. I've got some rubber on the way, so if you've just got to have the airfix Harrier pilot I can make him drown in some silicon for a while, just for ya.

No matter what you decide to do, a few things to keep in mind. The distance from the elbow to wrist should be the same as elbow to shoulder. Nothing ruins a good build like a pilot with freakishly long forearms. Once you've got the proportions established work in plenty of texture. You don't want cartoon characters driving something that is supposed to look real.

I've got pilots from Messers, Shiden, Harrier, Hurricane. If you want I could round them up for a group photo. But again, I don't think any one will be the ideal starting point.

Oh, I'm not going to alter an already existing figure. I just need one for size and proportions. The sculpt I'll be doing would be a completely new sculpt based on those dimension I can glean off the pilot figure - it will basically just be for reference.

If I could find a cheap pilot figure that has the right size and position... I take it almost lying down in the cockpit... then there'd be no reason to mold one, etc... and I could send it back to whoever I got it from afterwards, as I only need it for reference.

I'll see if I can build a temp cockpit compartment from these dimensions. Are the sides straight up and down or do they angle in towards the bottom. And is there going to be a seat in the cockpit for the pilot to be reclining on?

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back