ANH Obi Wan Saber Project

PHArchivist

Master Member
Have had random, mixed media Obi Wan parts for years.

Time to do something with these.

Suggestions?

IMG_5027.JPG
IMG_5028.JPG
IMG_5030.JPG
IMG_5031.JPG
IMG_5032.JPG
IMG_5033.JPG
IMG_5034.JPG
IMG_5035.JPG
IMG_5036.JPG
IMG_5037.JPG

The metal handwheel looks like one of Romans' older ones. It is lacking a chromed washer that is supposed to go in-between it and the "gear". If I were you, I would look for that washer if I wasn't sure I didn't have it.

The more yellowed resin parts look like casts of an Icons Obi-Wan ANH. When it was made, it was years before the handwheel, "gear" (booster) and emitter (Derwent balance pipe) were discovered. Looks like a clean cast though. The lengthwise grooves in the Icons are probably more accurate to the variation used for the real prop than the white grenade cast, despite being a replica.

Last edited:
The metal handwheel looks like one of Romans' older ones. It is lacking a chromed washer that is supposed to go in-between it and the "gear". If I were you, I would look for that washer if I wasn't sure I didn't have it.

The more yellowed resin parts look like casts of an Icons Obi-Wan ANH. When it was made, it was years before the handwheel, "gear" (booster) and emitter (Derwent balance pipe) were discovered. Looks like a clean cast though. The lengthwise grooves in the Icons are probably more accurate to the variation used for the real prop than the white grenade cast, despite being a replica.

THAT is the sort of insight I was hoping for on this thread.

Have had these parts for over ten years, and have NO idea of the heritage of each item.

I like that the vane of the white cast is open and not solid.

Will probably either use threaded rod or JB Weld to affix the chromed handwheel. Adding a washer seems easy (?).... Only have the one emitter, and I'm not certain if I can use the clamp, or how, since it is mildly torqued and missing parts.

This is great to see these older parts! I used to have one of those white grenade casts, where did they come from? NeoRutty drilled one out for me because the neck was crooked

Okay, this is what I would do... I'd carefully remove the booster from the rest of the large yellow resin assembly and drill it for a 3/8" threaded rod. The rest of it is probably unsalvagable. I'd also clean up and drill out white grenade. Fabricate a middle bit for under the clamp with 1.5" PVC pipe, and buy an old emitter and replacement bars and lever for the clamp. Over time, you can replace the resin and inaccurate parts with more accurate machined parts, and in a while you'll have an Obi ANH you can proudly display.

Okay, this is what I would do... I'd carefully remove the booster from the rest of the large yellow resin assembly and drill it for a 3/8" threaded rod. The rest of it is probably unsalvagable. I'd also clean up and drill out white grenade. Fabricate a middle bit for under the clamp with 1.5" PVC pipe, and buy an old emitter and replacement bars and lever for the clamp. Over time, you can replace the resin and inaccurate parts with more accurate machined parts, and in a while you'll have an Obi ANH you can proudly display.

I like those ideas... Roughly / mostly what I had in mind. Especially threaded rod and adding a core for the clamp.

Remind this knucklehead what the booster is. I understand the saber as:
--Emitter
--Vane
--Grenade
--Clamp
--Gear
--Handwheel pommel

3/8 16 to 1/4 20 coupling nuts exist too! If the resin neck is too delicate to drill out 3/8, I would throw one of those in there with some resin or glue and you can reduce your support as needed.

Hmm, if you're removing the tabs, you could wrap it around some 1.5" pipe, tighten a nut through the clamp bars to secure it, and use a rubber mallet to softly try re shaping it

You can see that if the clamp is pulled tight enough to match the circumference of the grenade, the protrusions (not sure what we call them) will not be parallel.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back