Sabs

Hello and welcome to my first public project.

I've been working in secret for many months to build what will become the perfect CAD model of the Obi-Wan ANH lightsaber, the part drawings of which I will share to everyone, hopefully there are those among you that will help me perfect this body of work.

My goal is that as I update this thread with technical drawings of each part, members with original parts can chime in and correct my measurements, which have been cobbled together from this forum, and the internet as a whole. Many thanks to those of you who have taken photos with a high lens angle, and with a ruled cutting mat as the back ground. Those photos have been most valuable.

If you are able to contribute measurements, you can post them here or PM me if you want to be anonymous for whatever reason, and I will update the model and drawings as we go. I only ask that you give me measurements if you are in possession of original parts, and they are not from your memory. Measurements in millimeters are preferred but I'll take inches too. Also please only with calipers, no rulers or measuring tapes as I am going for accuracy.

I have watermarks on the drawings only so that if someone tries to take my work and use it for monetary gain they may feel some sort of shame, but if you are planning to make some of these parts for yourself, you are more than welcome to them. I will also make the STL file available to those who ask, once the project is finished, but not the original part file.

And away we go!

Attachments

• Obiwan Windvane cover.PDF
    64.3 KB · Views: 849
  • Obiwan Windvane.PDF
    63.6 KB · Views: 602
  • Obiwan Graflex bar clamp side.PDF
    57.2 KB · Views: 567
  • Obiwan Graflex bar nut.PDF
    60.8 KB · Views: 508
  • Obiwan Graflex Lever washer.PDF
    54.3 KB · Views: 540
  • Obiwan Graflex Clamp Screw.PDF
    80.3 KB · Views: 590
  • Obiwan Graflex Cam Lever.PDF
    46.9 KB · Views: 528
  • Obiwan Grafles Clamp Lever Pin.PDF
    55.8 KB · Views: 515
  • Obiwan bubble strip.PDF
    60.8 KB · Views: 528
  • Obiwan Booster Cone.PDF
    52.6 KB · Views: 488
  • Obiwan Browning Booster.PDF
    59.1 KB · Views: 604
  • Obiwan Armitage Shanks Handwheel inner body.PDF
    53.4 KB · Views: 595
  • Obiwan Armitage Shanks Handwheel outer body.PDF
    48.4 KB · Views: 573
  • Obiwan Armitage Shanks Handwheel top screw.PDF
    52.1 KB · Views: 529
  • Obiwan Armitage Shanks Handwheel Colour ring.PDF
    65.6 KB · Views: 546
  • Obiwan Armitage Shanks Handwheel End Cap.PDF
    63.6 KB · Views: 530
  • Obiwan Grenade bottom screw.PDF
    61.7 KB · Views: 555
  • Obiwan Balence Pipe Inner_v2.PDF
    70.5 KB · Views: 558
  • Obiwan Balence Pipe Outer_v2.PDF
    61.9 KB · Views: 611
  • Obiwan Graflex clamp sheetmetal v2.PDF
    49.7 KB · Views: 545
  • Obiwan Grenade neck v2.PDF
    51.3 KB · Views: 553
  • LM301 datasheet national.pdf
    641.3 KB · Views: 514
  • Obiwan Light Saber assembly exploded view.PDF
    75.4 KB · Views: 669
  • Obiwan Grenade body v3.PDF
    66.3 KB · Views: 509
Last edited:
They look nice. Thank you for sharing and keep up the good work!

I haven’t checked any measurements, but wanted to let you know that the balance pipe was machined using inches as the unit of measure on the official blueprints. I can’t share the file, but will do some conversions when I have some free time just to let you know if you are on the right track.

Inches are fine too, Solidworks will convert them for me. Where did you find official Rolls Royce blueprints? And why can't you share them?

I also found this image (I'm sorry I don't know where I can seem to find the source even through Google images) that seems to be the interior of the balance pipe, but drilled to hell, and I can't find any other images that seem to support that there is a large trench in it, so maybe someone can tell me what this is.

BCE6C715-B6B5-4378-AFAB-D18BCE442D39_zpslwu7enaf.jpg

So you think this whole project will be blocked by those who want to keep this information confidential?

I also found this image (I'm sorry I don't know where I can seem to find the source even through Google images) that seems to be the interior of the balance pipe, but drilled to hell, and I can't find any other images that seem to support that there is a large trench in it, so maybe someone can tell me what this is.

View attachment 978586

There is a trench, but no holes in the side. The version of the balance pipe prior to this one did have side holes. Picture of the older version below.

Attachments

• F8B4EE75-5206-4A74-81F2-A833799FA5AE.jpeg
    F8B4EE75-5206-4A74-81F2-A833799FA5AE.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 384
So you think this whole project will be blocked by those who want to keep this information confidential?

I don’t think that’s the case. Many of us are friends with those who have the parts and also friends with Romans Empire who offers replicas. Giving out direct measurements would possibly hurt our friends business. His replicas are already being reverse engineered by a Chinese company.

OK, well I'll be able to update that once I get some measurements ;)

I get the part about hurting the business, but I think the fact that there is a bit of a monopoly on it if you're not "one of the boys", hurts those of us that don't want to or can't spend the money on replicas and original parts. There being transparency could be a good thing and as long as no one is trying to pass a replica off as an original part.

Last edited:

View attachment 978586
I've got no idea but possibly something to do what ever connects to this, to help the housing/joining of.

Almost done the first round of uploads, just have to build the transistors/resistors for the side and then I'll be ready to make all the changes you guys can throw at me!

Last edited:
On the diagram for Emitter Outer, that component is actually officially called “Balance Pipe - Outer”. Very close on the name! That makes the other part officially, “Balance Pipe - Inner”.

The measurement should be closer to 56mm versus the 55mm you have in your diagram. I believe Patrice shared these measurements in another thread. I can’t seem to find it at the moment.

Last edited:
On the diagram for Emitter Outer, that component is actually officially called “Balance Pipe - Outer”. Very close on the name! That makes the other part officially, “Balance Pipe - Inner”.

The measurement should be closer to 56mm versus the 55mm you have in your diagram. I believe Patrice shared these measurements in another thread. I can’t seem to find it at the moment.

Super! Thanks, keep them coming guys!

The Balance pipe parts have been updated based on some drawings I found, and based on that picture I posted. Though many of the measurements are still a best guess, so I'm ready to have some more accurate ones! Feel free to PM me if you want to remain anonymous, Or if you have real parts and you live in the EU, maybe I can come for a visit with my calipers and take the measurements myself?

The graflex clamp thickness has been updated!

Please help my project in any way that you can. Anonymous PMs are welcome!

What measurements do you still need? I have an all real parts Obi and I just got some digital calipers, so I'd be willing to help.
Hey Joe! To be honest, all of them. This whole project is guess work from images. My ultimate wish would be for a very patient person to print out all the drawings I’ve posted, and correct the numbers in red ink after comparing measurements to the real parts. Then scan the pages and send them to me so I can update the files and post them here.

I know it’s a lot to ask of one person which is why if even a few parts are corrected over time by the whole community, it would be great. Also then we could see the tolerances of parts if many ppl corrected things independently.

So in short, anything you want to measure would help!

Thanks,
Sabs

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back