ANH Obi Wan Kenobi saber defined

I lean more towards the idea that the stamping is just very faint or totally missing. But if it it was masked I'd bet it was not done for the shots that later appeared in the chronicles. They don't look at all like promo shots but maybe made for continuity purposes that later were published because nothing else was available.

View attachment 1638509

Besides GRAFLEX is very visible on the clamp and even the markings on the transistors are to some extend, so what would be the purpose of covering just the wind vane for these shots.
Agreed regarding the markings. I think they never bothered to cover ANYTHING up for ANH. As far as those photos though, why would they need continuity photos if they all thought this was a one and done flop of a movie, unless they were taken mid-filming because they needed to reproduce the prop in a different filming location?

I've read somewhere that these pictures were taken post production, but I'm not sure what's the source of this information. Obi's saber looks pretty beat up on them, so it is likely. I have no idea if it was a common practice in movie production back then to take such photos of the props and if so for what purpose. Maybe if they need to reshoot something later or make an insert shot like with the greedo killer.

Same here, I don’t remember the source for that either.

I think if the screws and glue were a repair or later addition that would be an important part of this story. Or if that was initially how it was held together.

I lean more towards the idea that the stamping is just very faint or totally missing. But if it it was masked I'd bet it was not done for the shots that later appeared in the chronicles. They don't look at all like promo shots but maybe made for continuity purposes that later were published because nothing else was available.

View attachment 1638509

Besides GRAFLEX is very visible on the clamp and even the markings on the transistors are to some extend, so what would be the purpose of covering just the wind vane for these shots.
I’ve never seen this full set of photos before. So this is the source of the three Obi-Wan saber photos published in Chronicles? How long has this full set of photos been publicly known? Are they available in higher resolution? Who has the original negatives or prints now?

I’ve never seen this full set of photos before. So this is the source of the three Obi-Wan saber photos published in Chronicles? How long has this full set of photos been publicly known? Are they available in higher resolution? Who has the original negatives or prints now?
Well, I can only tell you that I found it online when I was looking for references, and it was a while ago. I think it was some ebay listing. So I assume it's been publicly known for quite a while. But if you look closely, this is not even a scan of a print of the original contact sheet. Looks like someone took a picture of the original that was in an album, then probably that was printed, then another picture was taken of the print.

We greased and torched our second DaveP Inconel emitter a few days ago!

Attachments

• IMG_8701.jpeg
    IMG_8701.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 110
I was reminded of this today.

D9E4ECAE-9345-46E9-A1E6-0D848401BE3F.jpeg

Roger Christian holding a replica ANH Obi saber I made from RPF vendor parts during my first decade of RPF membership, now owned by Kalkamel
Roger Christian, set decorator/prop maker for Star Wars, paid a visit to Kuala Lumpur. I had a chance to catch up with him and we spoke briefly about his "scrap tech" approach for Episode IV. […] Anyway, I brought along 3 of my most cherished SW props: my original Graflex which I converted into Luke ANH, my Greedo Killer blaster with a real M3 flash hider and of course, the Obi ANH which I got from scarf man. […] his eyes lit up when he saw the Obi ANH... he said that it was the best replica of it he's ever seen. I gave him a pic of the breakdown that James Kenobi did showing the various parts that made up the saber, and he was amazed that people would actually go to the lengths to identify each and every part.
3B699B2B-1A8B-4FAA-83E7-0228AFDDD033.jpeg

JamesKenobi1138

FB3B3E96-0912-4FA6-ACDE-DDA27C520222.jpeg

Emitter: gavidoc’s crazy three piece emitter (brass & aluminum)
[predates identification of found part]
I beveled the ring of holes after the found part was identified

Grenade: 5postboy, steel & brass (asymmetrical version)

Clamp: romansempire, (early solid aluminum clamp spacer)

Bubble Strip: resin replica, yodashouse? EDC? Blastech?

Transistors: obi1kenny, (washers) pilot, (decals)

Booster/Gear: 5postboy, aluminum
(predates identification of found part)
[heavily modified with file work]

Pommel: romansempire (early solid chromed aluminum with disc spacer)

100% chemical weathering, clamp wire must have come loose, aluminum tape & tiny brass screws

76F8770B-9BE6-4922-9DD9-8225E6912829.jpeg

pics by kalkamel

My buddy kalkamel is just starting a project with this very replica Obi saber.
Thread: a collection of curios

Last edited:
I was reminded of this today.

View attachment 1735137
Roger Christian holding a replica ANH Obi saber I made from RPF vendor parts during my first decade of RPF membership, now owned by Kalkamel

View attachment 1735151
JamesKenobi1138

View attachment 1735138

Emitter: gavidoc’s crazy three piece emitter (brass & aluminum)
[predates identification of found part]
I beveled the ring of holes after the found part was identified

Grenade: 5postboy, steel & brass (asymmetrical version)

Clamp: romansempire, (early solid aluminum clamp spacer)

Bubble Strip: resin replica, yodashouse? EDC? Blastech?

Transistors: obi1kenny, (washers) pilot, (decals)

Booster/Gear: 5postboy, aluminum
(predates identification of found part)
[heavily modified with file work]

Pommel: romansempire (early solid chromed aluminum with disc spacer)

100% chemical weathering, clamp wire must have come loose, aluminum tape & tiny brass screws

View attachment 1735139
pics by kalkamel

My buddy kalkamel is just starting a project with this very replica Obi saber.
Thread: a collection of curios
Incredible job! Epic moment in history!!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back