ANH lightsaber blade Reference companion thread

Mouse Vader

Sr Member
WELCOME to the ANH lightsaber blade Reference companion thread.

Its purpose is to keep the The ANH LightSaber Blade Reference Thread neat and tidy.

So all comments / discussions that you would normally post there should be posted here instead.

Got it? Thanks !

As I mention at the start of ANH LSBR here are 2 pic’s that have been ref’d in other threads as being a ANH saber blade.

C01.jpg

C02.jpg

They may be so but there is nothing in the pictures to positively identifies them as such, ie, they’re not in a hilt, there is no hilt at all.

The mop handle in this pic, next to the dots, is very similar in appearance.

C03.jpg

I’m not saying that it is that particular mop handle (ferule is too short for starters) but we don’t know what other things were kicking about on set that this could be -

so without any other corroborating evidence those 2 pictures have stay out of the LSBR as they are only possibly a blade.

Very thorough post. I'm betting they used all three shapes at different time of course. It seems like most of the photographs appear to be round blades to me. There are a couple that I thought were questionable as to the shape. I would imagine that a non round blade would be more difficult to deal with and more likely to splinter.

I'm sure they tried square as John Stears (QS1) gives a good description & I think the footage in VC3 shows these being tested.. I'm not sure what you mean by 'deal with' . I'm thinking the corners would be more prone to damage, which is what you mean by splinter? I'll be testing Square sec'n In my ANH saber experiments - that test Sq Vs Rnd is one of the primary reasons why I started that project, so I'd have some motorised hilts to replicate conditions.

I'm sure they tried square as John Stears (QS1) gives a good description & I think the footage in VC3 shows these being tested.. I'm not sure what you mean by 'deal with' . I'm thinking the corners would be more prone to damage, which is what you mean by splinter? I'll be testing Square sec'n In my ANH saber experiments - that test Sq Vs Rnd is one of the primary reasons why I started that project, so I'd have some motorised hilts to replicate conditions.

I guess what I mean is that a non round blade that is spinning would more likely be out of balance, have more drag, make more noise, bounce around on contact, and more likely to make splinters. A round blade would have a lot less of issues.

From handling the wooden dowels & spinning them & from what Jon had to say, it's clear to me that any & all had varying amounts of warp & I can see no reason why a polygonal section on would differ in that 'balance respect. They're not spinning fast enough for drag to be an issue. As to sound, bouncing on contact & splintering, we'll find out when I make 'em & spin 'em. A primary goal of my experiments.

Just remembered Kurtyboy has already spun a square wooden blade & reported that it makes the same sound on contact & bounces the same as round.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back