ANH Hero DL-44 Discussion - Three ANH Greeblies Found

Spent a little time working on this some more. I got a propane torch from Lowes and fire blued all the little parts that should be, and I painted and weathered the thumb knobs on the crossbar using the Hero's post production images.

I wish I could attack the main body with bluing compounds and paint, but I still need to get Scott to get it all stamped up fist! That wait more than anything is killing me :lol:

It's all still far from finished though. I have plans to upgrade my zinc grill with an anodized aluminum one, and still need to beat up my grips a bit more. My scope mount is also a constant work in progress. I'm also gradually treating my flash hider to develop some real rust, which may take a while.

20220124_181544.jpg

Sorry for the crappy picture, I know I'm a bad photographer!

Yeah, you need to beat the heck out of those grips. Throw them around in a box of heavy tools for a while! Looks gorgeous. :)

It's a constant struggle not to trash these grips too badly; they're so nicely made! :lol:

But yeah, I'll probably go with the toolbox method at some point or another. I'm just hopeful that once I get Scott to stamp & finish the main body and upper it'll look less garish and naked! Thanks; I'm just hopeful I can do my unicorn prop justice :)

I believe they were also on some MG34 blasters too, as well as the bowcaster. (and the cockpits, control panels, etc.)

That's a very viable candidate!

And very well put on the mount studs being molded into the cast and then sawed off close to the gun each time.

Looking at the new image of the “44”.

The center part and missing antenna/ pushrod.
I always thought that the center part was broken off like the barrel leaving an angled break and highlight triangle . The images were always a little too blurry to tell exactly.

But now it looks as if the center part is actually ground at an angle to allow the antenna head to fit against it! The center part may be showing the “white” material it’s made of and a ground angle.

What do you think?

The antenna rod looks fairly consistently flat against the center tube. Even depth? Parallel to the center tube?

If it is ground to fit the antenna head it would look something like below...

power 5 antenna.jpg

blaster-merrsonn-44-short-antenna-copy-jpg.jpg

Quote Reply
Report Edit

I posted in the PS blasters thread, but I'll say it again here for posterity - I admit to not having studied it much in the new pics, but I believe the white part is just unpainted where the greeblie came off, not filed to fit. Pretty sure I see the left facing curve of the overall profile of the piece. I reserve the right to change my mind on this... ;)

Attachments

• not-t-track.jpg
    not-t-track.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 80
I posted in the PS blasters thread, but I'll say it again here for posterity - I admit to not having studied it much in the new pics, but I believe the white part is just unpainted where the greeblie came off, not filed to fit. Pretty sure I see the left facing curve of the overall profile of the piece. I reserve the right to change my mind on this... ;)
I agree that this is how it looks, but since the blaster was obviously cast in black resin and not painted (look at where the barrel broke off) then if that's actually what's going on here and this piece is white, then it must have been added after moulding, and therefore wouldn't definitively tell us anything about that greeblie on the ANH hero. It could just be a tricky reflection, but the fact that it's profiled very similar to the pushrod is hard to ignore.

Actually the more I look at it, it looks like that triangular bit could have been filed away. Regardless, if it's white that's showing then my previous comment still stands.

Some thing to consider.

On the power 5, you see where the rear grill has fallen off leaving glue residue and what it looks like under the glue of the casting.

On the 44, the center piece looks very sharply and cleanly angled following the contour of the end shape where the angle flattens out just at the front.

Note and question. If the whitish area was only overspray and the antenna rods seem to be glued up against the center part pretty tight on the power 5 and other side of the 44,- why do we not see any under color of where the rod was.? Should be whiteish there too... no ?

1643125590564.png

1643125458157.png

If it was ground down flat in that spot, it could reflect the light like this making it look white. See where the light reflects on the most forward-facing parts of the bull barrel? They look like the same color value as that triangular area.

If it was ground down flat in that spot, it could reflect the light like this making it look white. See where the light reflects on the most forward-facing parts of the bull barrel? They look like the same color value as that triangular area.
May be reflection or under color or both.

The reason it "could" be under color are the images that show the top edge of the sight have light color chips.
And here, there is a chip on the FH and scope that looks the same color.
Possible the castings are made of a different resin or have primer.

Good questions to ponder.

1643128132988.png

I don't think these were cast in black resin, there are paint chips all over the place. I think the broken off FH is just in shadow so looks black.

Unquestionably they're not the same casts as the ESB (as everyone has already said). The trigger area is a dead giveaway, the ESB stunts have a much more defined Mauser trigger visible, and I think someone mentioned this, the site is in a different position.

Attachments

• ESB_Merr-Sonn_Trigger.jpg
    ESB_Merr-Sonn_Trigger.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
The variations in colour of this flash hider I rust treated really change depending on the lighting... so matching it to the Hero's to any exact amount has been tough. In person it's much more of a dark grey with just a hint of brown, though the camera really picks up a lot of shades that your eye can't see.

20220125_155932.jpg

20220125_155926.jpg

EDIT: I also lightly blued the thumb knobs after replicating the paint scratches they had, so the exposed areas of metal no longer look so bright and clean. YOu may also notice that I'm also cleaning up my scope mount just a smidge more.

The journey continues!

20220125_161020.jpg

20220125_161028.jpg

Last edited:
Looking at the new image of the “44”.

The center part and missing antenna/ pushrod.
I always thought that the center part was broken off like the barrel leaving an angled break and highlight triangle . The images were always a little too blurry to tell exactly.

But now it looks as if the center part is actually ground at an angle to allow the antenna head to fit against it! The center part may be showing the “white” material it’s made of and a ground angle.

What do you think?

The antenna rod looks fairly consistently flat against the center tube. Even depth? Parallel to the center tube?

If it is ground to fit the antenna head it would look something like below...

power 5 antenna.jpg

View attachment 1537957

Quote Reply
Report Edit

You know it’s really hard to see exactly what is going on here obviously but I like where ur going with this. If it was white and sprayed down with paint it still wouldn’t leave this perfect silhouette behind. The antenna being round, only a small part of the mystery track would be left unpainted. Shaved down to allow for the rod to sit straight is as good a guess as any. I like it! Great observation.

I’m also almost certain this mystery track on the MS and 44 isn’t a track but a tube of some sort. I believe kpax mentioned looking into the Greedo blaster for answers and I’m sure he’s right on that. Drawing it up it doesn’t really work any other way..

I finished a Greedo blaster a little while ago, and the consensus in that reference thread is that the sight greebie is a length of 1/4 OD tube (aluminum in my case) with the pushrods stuck on the ends. The tube either does or doesn’t sit on a small riser made from a piece of T-track. Personally, I can’t see the riser in my reference pics, which are the same ones everyone else is looking at in that thread. And being made from T-track seems presumptive, when there’s no evidence for or against. Anyway, here’s what I came up with:
397645CA-FEF9-434F-BB36-60E3C844AA56.jpeg

Which seems to match pretty well with the reference:
D923CAE6-F000-47AF-B1CD-4F262E9ABAFC.jpeg

The pic of the Jawa blaster a couple pages ago may show the rear sight/pushrod better.
I wouldn’t be surprised if the MS blasters had a similar set up. But can we tie that construction to the ANH hero?
-Seth

It was Carson (Deadbolt) that noticed the similarity between the Greedo/Jawa and MS sight parts. Could be a tube but the 44 image if it is actually ground at an angle ( seems like) it may be a solid rod.

The tie in is from the base c96 in the MS castings I guess along with the Tomtitt parts.

Last edited:
The center part seems to be the same as the side part on the Jawa? Looks like the catamaran parts from the kit. ? Maybe this is already known?

The angle is throwing it off but "looks" like the same length/size?

If so there are 5 on the Jawa gun and we can see the end shapes a bit.

Too short to be the MS center tho... as far as I can tell.

blaster jawa ms sight parts.jpg

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back