ANH Hero DL-44 Discussion - Three ANH Greeblies Found

Man... I never paid attention to that and ive seen that photo over and over

So, if they used a restrictor to get the gun to cycle, it would have threaded into the existing threads. neat!
Well that's what I did. Not sure if KCarl did the same but makes sense.

Thanks for the timeline lineup, Pat! It's cool seeing the evolution of what eventually became the Hero ANH. I still wonder if it was used in anything else? The R&H discovery (scottjua) I think, it's several pages back but I haven't located it just yet. But that discovery was very recent, years into this thread, almost a decade in even. So I'm very curious what other, even for a split second, shows/movies this baby popped up in.
The Sweeney Mauser had the lump so it's likely the same one, I can't remember who discovered that one (it was many years ago) but I still want to extend thanks to that member for noticing it, it was barely seen for more than just a few seconds in the show..very easy to miss.

It reminds me of some props made for The Twilight Zone, they too popped up in many other works.

P.S. Rod Serling was an avid prop fan just like us! He even collected a good amount of the iconic props used on his show.
..if I had a time machine, I'd use it to go back then just to shake his hand..:p
..and check out the grassy knoll, too. ;)

-Carson

Thanks for the timeline lineup, Pat! It's cool seeing the evolution of what eventually became the Hero ANH. I still wonder if it was used in anything else? The R&H discovery (scottjua) I think, it's several pages back but I haven't located it just yet. But that discovery was very recent, years into this thread, almost a decade in even. So I'm very curious what other, even for a split second, shows/movies this baby popped up in.
The Sweeney Mauser had the lump so it's likely the same one, I can't remember who discovered that one (it was many years ago) but I still want to extend thanks to that member for noticing it, it was barely seen for more than just a few seconds in the show..very easy to miss.

It reminds me of some props made for The Twilight Zone, they too popped up in many other works.

P.S. Rod Serling was an avid prop fan just like us! He even collected a good amount of the iconic props used on his show.
..if I had a time machine, I'd use it to go back then just to shake his hand..:p
..and check out the grassy knoll, too. ;)

-Carson
Didn't it make an appearance in the Hammer Horror "The Satanic Rites of Dracula"?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220801-181537_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20220801-181537_Google.jpg
    894.7 KB · Views: 123
Oh wow, I don't believe that one has been noted or pointed out yet! Thanks Shingouki28, we're gonna have to check that out more deeply!!

..Seems to match at first glance, when did you notice this? The dude in the photo does appear to be the unabomber though.. =b

gettyimages-136874366-2048x2048.jpg

-Carson

Sorry to differ, but that's the R&H Mauser for sure, but not so much in NR. Very obviously made for NR, but no photos yet that we can go on. It's clear that The Sweeney, R&H Mausers became the hero ANH though and have all of the same modifications, other than the barrel lock mech for some reason. :unsure:

Naked runner had a hollow/earlier version of the safety, pre-SN/NS safety and hammer with the hole through the center of the safety, as well as the barrel being trimmed a tad differently. My only guess without the original gunsmith(s) to state it, is there were at least two Mausers modified for NR that we can ascertain from the few photos we have. The NR hero (below) seems to be the 'other' one, not the 2813 Mauser. I wonder where that one ended up and why it didn't pop up in other works??

-Carson

vlcsnap2011062218h16m44.png

Last edited:
Sorry to differ, but that's the R&H Mauser for sure, but not so much in NR. Very obviously made for NR, but no photos yet that we can go on. It's clear that The Sweeney, R&H Mausers became the hero ANH though and have all of the same modifications, other than the barrel lock mech for some reason. :unsure:

Naked runner had a hollow/earlier version of the safety, pre-SN/NS safety and hammer with the hole through the center of the safety, as well as the barrel being trimmed a tad differently. My only guess without the original gunsmith(s) to state it, is there were at least two Mausers modified for NR that we can ascertain from the few photos we have. The NR hero (below) seems to be the 'other' one, not the 2813 Mauser. I wonder where that one ended up and why it didn't pop up in other works??

-Carson

View attachment 1603693
The "other" in NR also has different thumbscrew nuts! These look cleanly bored out. The R&H one looks countersunk by hand, all uneven and soft

Sooo. zoomed thru the classic film.

It is clear that the ANH upper was tampered with by Grand Moff Tarkin!

Got some screen grabs.

I think Shingouki28! and Carson are correct that the 1973 SRoD IS the ANH upper based on Carsons Lump and also that it seems to be the R&H Mauser. Looks like the same left side crappy milling of the R&H to my eye. The heavy corners and edges. Could be another but looks pretty close to me. So NOT the lower.

Normal c96s don't show that lump that covers the rail concave.

Great catch.

Bapty got their use out of these guns!

blaster hero dracula.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry to have added any confusion for everyone here, I only meant there seem to have been two made for NR. I didn't mean to imply they were both used in NR, I've seen no proof of that. My reasoning for that guess is both the NR Mauser and the R&H/Sweeney Mauser seem to have the same mods and case that the NR prop had, other than the barrel latch and a color change to the fabric lining in the Sweeney (possibly to stand out more on older TV's being a televised show rather than theater?).
It's un-provable at this point without evidence to the contrary, but they both shared the same modifications and case setup/design, added parts etc.,

I only meant that there appears to have been a possible backup made for NR that seems to be what eventually became the R&H/Sweeney/SRD/ANH Upper..that's getting to be a mouthful now, haha. I really wonder now how many obscure, short scenes this unique Mauser popped in before ANH? Why not the 'other' as well, the one seen in the NR close-ups?

-Carson

Sorry to have added any confusion for everyone here, I only meant there seem to have been two made for NR. I didn't mean to imply they were both used in NR, I've seen no proof of that. My reasoning for that guess is both the NR Mauser and the R&H/Sweeney Mauser seem to have the same mods and case that the NR prop had, other than the barrel latch and a color change to the fabric lining in the Sweeney (possibly to stand out more on older TV's being a televised show rather than theater?).
It's un-provable at this point without evidence to the contrary, but they both shared the same modifications and case setup/design, added parts etc.,

I only meant that there appears to have been a possible backup made for NR that seems to be what eventually became the R&H/Sweeney/SRD/ANH Upper..that's getting to be a mouthful now, haha. I really wonder now how many obscure, short scenes this unique Mauser popped in before ANH? Why not the 'other' as well, the one seen in the NR close-ups?

-Carson
Gotcha.

The Sweeney images I have seen are not quite clear enough to be certain if it is a changed up barrel NR or R&H or completely different version. I'd like to see better images. There was one still that maybe showed the Lump? The Sweeney could very well be the R&H complete. The best image just isn't good enough to see the horrid machining of the left side for 100% sure. Could be just bad lighting and blurry image, but it does seem likely that the Sweeney, R&H and SRoD are the same gun kits entirely.

ANH switched the lower OR maybe KCarl cleaned up the bad machining on the left side when he swapped the mounts side lugs?

The NR unfortunately is not the 2813 HERO. Too many discrepancies. Also not the R&H

I had made a comp image of the best screen grabs showing details:
Barrel bevels way too flat.
Rail line cuts too pronounced on left side. Hero is washed out. ( the line recess cut into the rails)
No CL Lump (break could have happened after 1967)
Left side hollow does not have the deep machine cuts like the R&H

Other things to note as Qs
Loads 7.63 (blanks) not 9mm- in mag well.
Also note the bullet head seating on the blanks. Different depths. Not really concerned with dummy rounds.
Sinatra has the same closed eye aiming technique as Ford!

If we could get a better HQ 1080 or 4k version maybe we could read the SN. Almost visible in these shots.

naked runner screen grabs.jpg

So.

1967-NR doesn't seem to match upper or lower details. Barrel bevels way too flat. Left side rails too deep.

1969- R&H Upper 100% ANH HERO - Lower no.
1973 - SRoD - Upper with Lump seems very plausible. Left side milling seems to match R&H. Looks to be the R&H entirely.
1975 - Sweeney- Maybe Carson's Lump visible? -ANH upper? Seems plausible and images seem close.

If we had better HQ images of the Sweeney case shots of the crappy frame milling we could be sure that the R&H,SRoD and Sweeney were all the same exact gun kits. Seems very likely they are all the same exact kit but who knows. KCarl swapped parts as needed.

Kit didn’t change for 4 years between 1969 to 1973. Exact same gun kit.
No reason to think it changed from 1973 to 1975. Likely it’s the same gun kit for all 3 films.

Some reason the lower is changed for ANH.
Maybe simply to preserve the left side mount kit as is.

NR doesn’t show up again. So far.

There as also the other right side mount Mauser. I forget the film.

blaster sweeney lump.jpg

Last edited:
That last one is from The Sweeney Mauser, the lump is what convinced me that it seems to be the same as the ANH, R&H and the SRoD Uppers.

It was used in the episode 'Big Brother'..but sadly only seen in those two scenes, in it's red-case scene and the lump-shot scene.. Then possibly due to it's closeness to the timing of SW production, it then became the greatest prop firearm ever..Han's Hero Blaster! :D

-Carson

SweeneyMauser_02 - Ep. 'Big Brother'.png

It sure does seem to have the lump. If the case shot was a little clearer we could confirm the R&H crappy milling for sure but I tend to think it is the same.

(repeated from above)

Meaning the R&H,SRoD and Sweeney were all the same exact gun kits which makes sense.

Kit didn’t change for 4 years between 1969 to 1973. Exact same gun kit.
No reason to think it changed from 1973 to 1975. Likely it’s the same gun kit for all 3 films.

For some reason the lower is changed for ANH. Maybe simply to preserve the left side mount kit as is.

In that episode the image you posted was from the last scene. At the end it says "END OF PART TWO"

They left a huge cliffhanger with a guy aiming a gun and no resolution? He never shows up again!

There as also the other right side mount Mauser. I forget the film.

Last edited:
Thank you both of you!

So this is weird, the recent story included that they chose these rifle barreled mausers for the upcoming sci-fi film because they were no good for firing. If that’s true I wonder what happened to this upper… it certainly was okay enough to fire blanks in a new hope

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back