ANH Darth Ugly: A Total Transformation of an Inferior Vader Mask

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by CSMacLaren, Mar 8, 2012.

1. CSMacLaren

CSMacLaren Sr Member

[​IMG]

Interest thread info:

ANH: http://www.therpf.com/f13/darth-ugly-anh-vader-helmet-round-2-a-175472/
    ESB: http://www.therpf.com/f13/darth-ugly-esb-vader-helmet-177874/

Hi guys,

Here is a kit I purchased years back at the beginning of my Vader collecting. It was made by Sid of Armormask who touted this as "the movie sized helmet" using misleading photos on eBay with the camera too close to the helmet for you to assess the accuracy of its shape due to perspective distortion.

Here was the original eBay post. Alas, like other newcomers to the hobby, I fell prey to the gloss finish. He also neglected to say that the armor was not part of the kit.

How he pitched it:

[​IMG]

Here is the mask I received:

[​IMG]

Needless to day, I had a personal stake at this, since Sid insulted my honor by telling eBay that I was a liar and troublemaker, and would not refund my money. I took it upon myself to right this wrong, not only for myself but for other fans who ended up purchasing this kit that some of us dubbed "Darth Ugly".

The actual Work in Progress thread is about 11 pages long, chok full of photos.

Five years later, I picked it up again and spent a few months on it.

[​IMG]

You may not believe that the mask on the left was an Armormask faceplate. I left the chin triangle untouched so you can see a "tell". I've remastered just about everything I can with this faceplate, but the dome - alas - is severely warped and may be a lost cause.

I had a leftover GH ANH dome that, to be proportionately a match, needed widening.

[​IMG]

So I cut the dome up into more than one piece (guess how many) and reassembled it to the proportions that seemed right to me, reworked the domecap to blend the surfaces, then resculpted over the original mid strip.

Unmodified, the original kit looked like this:

[​IMG]

Today, as it stands, the Darth Ugly faceplate and widened and modified GH dome looks like this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Enjoy!

Note to Sid: You suck. We fans win.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
  2. CSMacLaren

CSMacLaren Sr Member

Here's a fun picture.

[​IMG]

Left: modified Rubie's plastic mask.

Right: SithPlanet ANH.

Center: Piece of poodu. :facepalm

The face itself was somewhat reasonable in size, but the sides had been compressed, the neck cut down, and the head improperly modified. Armormask had recast this from a Don Post Classic Action and removed the "T" mount and gave it an ashtray ("ash hat") head. :)

3. Lutso

Lutso Sr Member

You took a *, and polished it. You got something presentable from it.

Magic?

You rock.

4. Serenity

Serenity Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Agreed, that's a great job of making something quite respectable out of almost nothing. The untouched kit reminded me of the aliens from Mars Attacks with that giant dome.

Well done! (y)thumbsup

5. masterstumpy

masterstumpy Active Member

It looks soooo good!!!!! You did an amazing job!!!! I wish I had your skills :thumbsup

6. Mr Walker

Mr Walker Active Member

Great job! Impressed.

7. vaderdarth

vaderdarth Master Member

Much better man!!!!!!

8. dcarty

dcarty Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Mac, I've been watching your progress on this for years. I don't know which is more admirable the fact that you've put this much work into it or how amazing the transformation is!

9. Kenobi

Kenobi Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Fantastic work Mac!

10. Too Much Garlic

Too Much Garlic Master Member

In the beginning you needed some guidance... but you quickly surpassed the need for it... and this is the kind of things you are able to achieve. Impressive.

11. Trap Joe

Trap Joe Sr Member

great work! Wow!

12. Al May

Al May Well-Known Member

Looks out of this world, Just out of curiosity as this now has no resemblance to the original manufacturers piece could it be considered an original and casts made and sold from it?, Just like to know what people think

13. Too Much Garlic

Too Much Garlic Master Member

Only with permission.

14. CSMacLaren

CSMacLaren Sr Member

Thanks for the words of encouragement, guys!

I don't want this to go off topic and I'm not so much here to defend or define casting rights or what's not recasting. I do however want to approach what I do with integrity.

On that note, regarding the dome, I do actually have permission from GhostHost to offer the community. He was privy to more work-in-progress shots (I'm a little wary of revealing all my resculpting and modification techniques, as in the past, a recaster used one of my tutorials to cover up the origins of a recast to claim it was an LFL prop copy) but related very kindly that so much work had been done that it merited being its own dome. So thank you, Ghost Host for your support!

Those of you who have followed my "Goldie" and "Quasimodo" projects over the years will know my projects started on the worst end of the collecting spectrum with props that were blunt, warped, distorted, chock full with casting flaws, air bubbles, delamination of fiberglass from resin, etc. and that I go beyond terms such as "major modifications". In many cases I am totally resculpting considerable areas of the mask, sometimes outright cutting parts off or Dremeling things down so I am in no way limited by the warpage of the original foundation. Fans have overwhelmingly supported these works as being my own fan sculpts, as they've seen what evolution and development these masks had to go through in order to become how they are today.

Years back, people might have thought differently as the definition and semantics of recasting was difficult to pinpoint. It was once discussed that someone's "work" should not be recast and would legalistically apply that to say a direct (unmodified) recast of a Don Post Deluxe. I prefer to think that a person's "work" should be defined as what work was done *to* a prop as opposed to simply pulling a recast from a mold. Personally, I would not use, say, SPFX's work as a base, even though he in turn had pirated and modified other helmets to produce his products. If I owned one and wanted to beef up the face, if it didn't require a lot of rework, I would still consider it an SPFX, and were I ever to unload it, I'd describe it as a one-off modified SPFX and inform the new owner to not allow it to be recast.

After all, I'm a sculptor. I feel strongly against illicit recasting. I want to protect my own work and I'm sensitive to protecting other sculptors, having seen their pain whenever their work is pirated and cheap casts are sold on fleaBay.

The only thing that was Armormask's "work" was the pathetic ashtray. Well, in my Works in Progress thread on the Den, I cut the crown off (not just the ashtray) and rebuilt it, then figured it was too low, so I resculpted the crown to make it look more like a Don Post Deluxe. And since I have a Don Post Classic Action in my possession, it makes no sense to trash Darth Ugly and start over by molding my DPCA - that is, if anyone wants to split hairs still.

Thus I sincerely do not consider the Darth Ugly faceplate as requiring anyone's permission to offer it to RPFers. So per what Too Much Garlic said, we have permission and we're good on that front.

All that being said, I don't have the bandwidth nor the space to do molding and casting. However I definitely am hoping to find a way to help people have a nice ANH Vader who have never had the opportunity to own one. Above all, there is a disabled SW single mom I want to help out financially so she doesn't have to chose between paying for food versus medication. I've tried to get my Goldie and Quasimodo projects off the ground, but a friend helping me got totally swallowed up by work. I'm also working "graveyard" a lot too.

So if there's anyone who is willing to help make this possible - someone who is good in character and honor you can vouch for, I'm definitely open to talk about this further.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  15. ROBOSTEVE 0671

ROBOSTEVE 0671 Sr Member

That's one hell of an ANH Vader lid, its got the look! :thumbsup

16. CSMacLaren

CSMacLaren Sr Member

17. CSMacLaren

CSMacLaren Sr Member

Some photo updates:

[​IMG]

The work-in-progress photos below are as of 3/26/12 at 7:54 p.m. Ugly has been given a makeshift paintjob using acrylics, makeshift lenses, and a grill tossed in, to see what a kit could potentially look like all painted up. Please pardon the inaccurate rush job.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
  18. CSMacLaren

CSMacLaren Sr Member

19. CSMacLaren

CSMacLaren Sr Member

4/5/12 progress shots:

I've added more material to various areas, but hadn't yet sanded it. Just did a quick paint test to see if I'm headed in the right direction.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Darth_Finger

Darth_Finger Active Member

Looks great Mac :)

21. CSMacLaren

CSMacLaren Sr Member

It worked! Man, I'm excited. It's overall look has improved significantly.

4/7/12 Progress Shots:

Nearly final! Made significant structural changes to the dome (couldn't leave well enough alone). Now back to work on the teeth bars...

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. KaanE

KaanE Sr Member

I like its look a lot better. Glad you worked on it. I'm not a Vader expert but something was wrong, I didn't know what, but it was (a reason why I liked your ESB version the most of both), but now it looks as it should. Well done sir.

23. lionback

lionback New Member

Hi, its interesting to see the differant versions, I am currently re sculpting a Rubie's with Newplast and trying to get the ANH look from that plastic hell...I have always loved the huge helmet that the 1977 Darth had, it something I think all fans with some sculpting skill think of doing. I commend your results and if you are still selling copys to help your friend you mentioned I would like to have a copy please.

also when I post my resculpt efforts I will look farword to your comments. Darth Vader is such a fantastic creation, I even went to see (Indian in the cupboard) just because Darth had a small part in it... happy days :p

24. CSMacLaren

CSMacLaren Sr Member

Fixed the images in Post #17 - the nine thumbnail images were previously loading the same darn image when clicked.

25. CSMacLaren

CSMacLaren Sr Member

And, the final shot... a casting fully painted that ended up looking better than the original Ugly. This shot alone was worth it - a great conclusion to a lot of hard work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Earlier paint test:

[​IMG]

Fun shot:

[​IMG]

26. Toxx

Toxx Well-Known Member

Love the tidiness of your workspace, wish i had a shop like this

(Reminder to myself: clean up one room in the cellar and put a workbench in)

And overall a "überragende arbeit" from "scheiß" to shiny! :D

Greetings, Toxx :cool

27. manooga

manooga Well-Known Member

Impressive... most impressive!

28. CSMacLaren

CSMacLaren Sr Member

Here is a pic of a casting of Ugly ANH!

Interest thread:

http://www.therpf.com/f13/darth-ugly-anh-vader-helmet-round-2-a-175472/

[​IMG]

29. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

Hi there,

This is so on my bucketlist to get . . . when the funds are available to me.

-Chaim

30. CSMacLaren

CSMacLaren Sr Member

You have a "BucketList"? Neat! That's hilarious and awesome at the same time! :thumbsup

31. Toxx

Toxx Well-Known Member

Want One! ;)

32. Filandrius

Filandrius Well-Known Member

These helmets are so beautiful it hurts. You guys did an incredible job restoring it and replicating the details from the screen-used one. Amazing.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  33. aschultz

aschultz New Member

I made the original helmet that was reworked for these. I did not give any one permission to alter them in anyway. I certanily did not give permission for CS to make money off them. Yes it was an ugly helmet but i made it myself. I made a lot star wars props that are funny as hell when you look back on them. So now that CS knows where it came from you can stop selling them!! Make your own and sell it!!! For anyone who doesn't believe me Here is some links from the Replica Prop Forum showing that i was making helmets at least a year before CS starting working reworking mine. The first Reveal helmet i made was an ANH helmet (which is when i made the first reveal parts for a helmet) I then made the "Ugly" helmet so it would look closer to a ROTJ one. I never realized that the "ugly" was mine until i saw the thread in the RPF junkyard and i began reading all the previous posts.
    In the second post i was actually accused of recasting reveal parts, which was found to be BS. There is clearly evidence that i was making this stuff long before CS. So now he can quit making them, they were not his to begin with!!
    http://www.therpf.com/f9/vader-helmet-project-11018/
    Here's one on the reveal parts and helmets i was making in 2006
    http://www.therpf.com/f9/who-does-wolf-morgan-x-still-owe-2300/

34. aschultz

aschultz New Member

By HIS OWN ADMISSION CS STATES IT WAS NOT HIS WORK! I don't know what else anyone needs. It's either ok to rework someone's else's sculpt or it's not!!!
    I have already heard from the guy taking charge of selling these helmets that they donT intend to stop making them or selling them, is that ok?

35. CSMacLaren

CSMacLaren Sr Member

JediJeffrey aka aschultz aka BANNED MEMBER Wolf Morgan X

(POSTING THIS ON RPF and THE PROP DEN - WHERE HE POSTS AS JEDIJEFFREY)

Certainly, the burden of proof is on the accuser, not the accused. This is not a "dab of bondo then recast" project. Just review the side-by-side before-and-after shots. This has been a story arc of many years, and the community has basically supported this and recognized this as a fan sculpt due to the enormity of rework done. I'm therefore surprised you just showed up to attack it. Moreover, I did obtain permission where applicable.

• First off, I've never done business with you, and I've never acquired a helmet labeled "JediJeffrey" or even resembling your reveal, be it primary or secondary markets.
    • The ugly kit I used was purchased off Sid Garand / Armormask. Are you him or in connection with him? Because if you are, I have a beef to pick with you marketing these kits fraudulently and for not processing a refund when asked, and it's taken you all these years to finally say something?!
    • If you are not him but he's your friend, then I also have a beef to pick with you because all the time he's made money off these kits marketing these with the implication that these are cast off studio pieces, you could have said something and you never did.
    • The two file attachments are the same helmet, and a side shot. Nice Reveal, but even the dome mount is not the same as the Armormask product!
    • Of the first thread you posted as "proof" - the Vader Helmet Project RPF thread originated by No Humor Man - that is of a vacformed helmet with a smooth head. That bears no resemblance to the Armormask product at all. Moreover, it doesn't even look like your own reveal!
    • Of the second thread, I guess that makes YOU Wolf Morgan X. Wow, you're recasting and TAKING PEOPLE'S MONEY and NOT SHIPPING PRODUCT?
    • You also claim in PM that the starter helmet was not a DPCA recast but your own sculpt. Rrrright. Despite the misshapenness of the Armormask product, the tells of a DPCA are still there.

So, to conclude, I see no resemblance to the armormask kit I worked with compared with the one sideshot of your Reveal.

But even if I assume you had anything to do with Armormask's product, all you did was hack off the T-mount while recasting a Don Post Classic Action. The headcap on the armormask product was the first thing I hacked off. I rebuilt the neck and other parts of the face. So anything original you added was removed.

Now look at Darth Ugly on the left, and the original state Armormask on the right.

[​IMG]

Based on the above photo, what original authorship claim do you have on my mask? What right do you have to my sculpting work? :)

Moreover, the dome of Darth Ugly ANH is a reworked GH ANH dome which GH himself has given permission. :)

The Darth Ugly ESB dome was cut up in to strips, repositioned, re-angled, and resembled, and bondo'ed together.

[​IMG]

Again, based on the above, what original authorship claim do you have to put a stop to Darth Ugly sales? :)

Finally, you're accusing me of making money. I have actually not made any money but have put in hundred dollars in materials, tools, shipping and molding materials. The money that is generated after sales is going to help a single mom with disabilities. I have not recouped any money from this project. It's purely a humanitarian endeavor.

Thanks for the Monday morning amusement! :thumbsup

BTW, Admins, please ban this dolt. He's already been banned.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  36. aschultz

aschultz New Member

Im not wolf Morgan. He was the guy saying he had permission to make copies of my reveal parts. get it straight!

37. aschultz

aschultz New Member

Im not friends with the guy you got it from. I sold several of them to different people. It doesn't matter if its a humanitarian effort it's not your work I know your * because your getting called out but thats how it works with recasters like you.

38. CSMacLaren

CSMacLaren Sr Member

Okay, so you're not Wolf Morgan. But the burden of proof is on you. RE-READ my post please.

You can't even prove your Jedi Jeffrey vacform (as posted by NoHumorMan) even resembles your Reveal. You can't even prove the Reveal resembles the Armormask product. So claiming authorship over Darth Ugly is just Monday Morning Amusement.

Oh wait, it's noon.... lunchtime! :)

39. aschultz

aschultz New Member

It doesn't matter if you believe me YOU ADMITTED TO TAKING SOMEONE ELSE'S WORK and claiming it as your own because you altered it?
    All your doing is trying to deflect from the truth. When i started making things i didn't take pictures in case years down the road criminals like you wanted "proof". I see plenty of people getting banned without any real proof. Look at the other threads, i was making stuff way before you bought someone elses helmet and reworked it. Lets see all your "proof" of everything you have made.
    Funny how you first try to get someone banned by calling them a previous banned member or a sockpuppet. I don't care who the money goes to
    IT'S NOT YOURS TO BEGIN WITH!!

40. CSMacLaren

CSMacLaren Sr Member

I'm wondering if I should even answer this because first you attacked me for recasting your work. Now you're attacking me for recasting Armormask. Pick a story and stick with it.

The proof of my work is no mere "alteration" is in the very thread on The Prop Den that you've posted your accusations on, so you've obviously chosen to ignore what the fan community there and here acknowledge to be so extensive it's in its right its own fan sculpt. Armormask cannot claim rights to the Don Post Classic Action on which his product was based. And anything unique to the Armormask (most notably the cap mount on the crown) was cut off by me.

Further, try recasting a DPCA yourself, add a widow's peak, and see if you can make it look like Darth Ugly ANH.

But if it's not mine to begin with given the enormity of work, your JediJeffrey is not yours to begin with since you put so little work into your own product.

Have you stopped trying to link your helmet to mine? I notice that kinda dropped off...

41. CSMacLaren

CSMacLaren Sr Member

So to address your concerns that you are the creator of the original ugly and therefore from that authority say I'm not entitled to my own sculpt, and your supposed evidence is NoHumorMan's photo of your "JediJeffrey" mask, then let's examine the discrepancies.

Left: Your JediJeffrey vacformed mask, and Right: Armormask (the basis of Darth Ugly's faceplate).

[​IMG]

Given that your product is a vacform, it would be slightly larger than whatever your original buck was. Moreover, given that NoHumorman already proceeded with his own modifications (I have had no time to dig up what mods he had done over time), I will do my best to them from this comparison.

The point is, if you are going to promote the fact that you're the maker of Darth Ugly's father, then your claim has to survive this comparison. Even if the comparison fails here or there, the majority of the observations here still hold strong:

1. Head shape of the JJ is different. It's more pronounced, fuller, and more rounded. In proportion to the face, it's quite large compared with the AM. The JJ's mask's rear opening is more generous and has a subtle hint to proportions of a Fyberdyne or GH ANH.

2. Neck shape. The JJ's neck corners are far more flared than the Armormask. Flaring is reminescent of a Fyberdyne or GH ANH.

3. Nose Shape. This is discrepancy may be due to fan rework or the thickness of the vacform plastic, but the mouthwalls look thicker.

4. Chin triangle shape - the AM has rounded corners. Yours are sharp.

5. Right (as you view it) whisker shape is shallow. The AM's right whisker is far more pronounced.

6. The JJ's left cheek's upper ridge is straighter than the more curved line of the AM.

7. Nose bridge of the JJ is much, much wider than the AM.

8. Upper inner eyelid of the JJ is shallower than the AM. The AM has the CORRECT shape as inherited from the Don Post Classic Action.

But notice this:

[​IMG]

Again, your mask bears some similarity with a GH ANH. Why are your inner eyelids a dead-ringer to a GH ANH's instead of a DPCA?

9. Both cheek corner of JJ is sharp, even for vacformed plastic. Conversely, both cheek corners of the AM are very blunt (don't know if this due to NHM's mods).

10. Your upper tubes curve in. The AM are a bit more straight.

11. The upper surface cheeks side edges are noteworthy. Yours are much more straight compared with the DPCA.

12. The JJ's crown is smooth and rounded. The AM has a ridiculous ash tray.

13. The frown bump on the JJ is sanded down in the same fashion as a GH ANH. And it's longer. The surviving frown bump of the AM is due to where it ends on the DPCA - and where the DPCA's "T" shaped mount began. Whoever worked on the AM ground the T-mount off and made the forehead plain but did not rework the frown bump to original length like I had.

So based on the above, I find it quite difficult to believe that you are the owner or sculptor of the original Armormask. The JediJeffrey does not have the same tells as the Don Post Classic Action on which the Armormask is based. And, quite frankly, the JediJeffrey actually has various surviving tells of its connection to the Ghost Host ANH.

Thus my question, did you obtain permission before you vacformed his helmet?

You've had enough time using the Darth Ugly threads on the RPF and Den as your soapbox. Live well, sir. And if you still somehow feel within all your logic that you're the daddy of Darth Ugly, then please take comfort in the fact that Ugly is making a difference in the life of that disabled fan we are trying to help, and she has written us expressing how much she's been blown away that a community would rise up to support her in her hour of need.

42. CSMacLaren

CSMacLaren Sr Member

Double post removed.

43. aschultz

aschultz New Member

The Ugly did not come from the Vacuumformed one. I have made many helmets over the years, which are either my own sculpt or from masks with direct linage to an original. You have done neither. If my original one was so bad then why didn't you make your own, because you can't. Quit trying to justify your actions. It's either ok to rework someone elses itemswork and call it your own or it's not. It seems like recasters are given the death penalty, which they should, so what does that make you. You admit it's not yours and it's still ok to make and sell them? Why don't you make your own helmet from scratch if your so good at it?

44. CSMacLaren

CSMacLaren Sr Member

I sense quite a bit of deflecting on your part. You mentioned being called a recaster before. And your comment about being given the death penalty sounds like your personal past experience. Your vacformed one looks like a recast to me. Did you get permission from Ghost Host before you copied his mask?

And this was someone's work? Rubbish. I'd like you to prove it. I've put up with umpteen photos and what have you put up? I removed all "work". And, BTW, I do have a DP CA in my possession. I don't suppose you want me to mold off of that and start all over again or if you want a copy....

"If your original" was bad? You have NOT proven you have anything to do with my project.

I can't sculpt my own? Well, here's proof I can:

[​IMG]

At this rate, I think you were deeply hurt at some point by being accused of recasting yourself, and now you're trying to take it out on someone else. Go bother someone else. But thanks for the Monday amusement. This brightened my day. :thumbsup

45. aschultz

aschultz New Member

Why don't you answer the question, is it ok to rework someone else's stuff and call it your own. I see the post you put up on March 12th 2012 about recasting and yet you think what u did was ok?

46. aschultz

aschultz New Member

I see that your sculpting on top of another dome, who's is that?

47. aschultz

aschultz New Member

I have no doubt you wonT quit making them. Thats what a crook like you would do. You admit to taking someone else's work and reworking it then selling it for profit but you think it's ok because you have a sob story about giving the profits to someone else, yeah right.

48. bookface

bookface Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Your claims of ownership are laughable. The two threads you have linked to as 'proof' show one helmet that looks almost totally different to the Armormask original that you are claiming as yours, and the other is a rebuttal of the suggestion that you may have recast the Wolf Morgan Reveal parts.

The link to the Ugly conversion is tenuous, at best. Let me put this out there: A statement is not proof. You have claimed that the original helmet, sold to Mac by Armormask, is your own sculpt. You have offered nothing in the way of proof of this, only reiterating the same claim. It's yours. Well, prove it, or shut up.

And before you claim I'm deflecting, I'll answer your question, so maybe you will give me the proof I'm waiting for.

If I had been so unprofessional as to let a cast leave my shop in the state that the Armormask original was, and someone spent years cleaning it up, improving/resculpting it, and generally polishing the * that I had given them to the degree that it was almost unrecognisable as the same piece, then no, I would not complain if they decided they wanted to sell copies of it. And yes, I've had my stuff recast before. Without any alteration at all.

So there you go, there's your answer. Are we going to see a little more deflection from you now, or are you going to prove once and for all, beyond a doubt, that the Armormask original was your original sculpt?

49. aschultz

aschultz New Member

Whether you believe me or not doesn't matter YOU ADMITTED IT WASN'T YOURS!!
    here's what you wrote on March 12th, 2012

"Years back, people might have thought differently as the definition and semantics of recasting was difficult to pinpoint. It was once discussed that someone's "work" should not be recast and would legalistically apply that to say a direct (unmodified) recast of a Don Post Deluxe. I prefer to think that a person's "work" should be defined as what work was done *to* a prop as opposed to simply pulling a recast from a mold. Personally, I would not use, say, SPFX's work as a base, even though he in turn had pirated and modified other helmets to produce his products. If I owned one and wanted to beef up the face, if it didn't require a lot of rework, I would still consider it an SPFX, and were I ever to unload it, I'd describe it as a one-off modified SPFX and inform the new owner to not allow it to be recast.
    After all, I'm a sculptor. I feel strongly against illicit recasting. I want to protect my own work and I'm sensitive to protecting other sculptors, having seen their pain whenever their work is pirated and cheap casts are sold on fleaBay."

how do you defend that?
    In essence your doing exactly what you say others shouldn't, If there was ever a question of your "integrity" we now know the answer. this part of your thread kills me
    "I want to protect my own work and I'm sensitive to protecting other sculptors, having seen their pain whenever their work is pirated and cheap casts are sold on fleaBay."
    Your full of it, your no different than any other recaster. The picture of "your" new helmet clearly shows you sculpting on top of a different dome, more of your "rework" ?
    A REAL artist would not be "reworking" any one elses work. Your no artist.

50. Art Andrews

Art Andrews Community Owner Community Staff

aschultz, what is going on here? Your initial argument was that CSMacLaren had reworked your helmet. To date, you have not shown that to be the case. Now, you seem to be changing the subject from your original complaint that CSMacLaren had reworked your helmet to a question of CSMacLaren's talent and skillset.

Recasting has always been a slippery slope and its specific definition often varies from member to member.

Per our Community Guidelines:

So far, you have not proved that CSMacLaren has reworked your helmet, so your last few posts are coming across as little more than trolling and personal attacks. Either show some evidence to back up your claim that CSMacLaren has reworked your helmet or move along.