ANH Ceremonial Princess Leia necklace and bracelet set in real sterling silver( in progress)

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

gingerygrace

Hello everyone!

First of all, my name is Polina and my hobby is recreating jewelry from games, tv series, movies and etc.
For years my favourite sci-fi movies are Star Wars. I am simply perfectionist and very passionate about details - props and especially costumes! Of cause I were so shocked and amazed to see Prequel trilogy in cinemas - Trisha Biggar( costume designer) made magic on screen! Those fabrics, colors, textures.. I was in love. But, my favourites are still original trilogy - designs of costumes are simple and very futuristic at the same time.
As a silver jewelry lover, I can't go and didn't look at famous Ceremonial jewelry set of well-known Princess of Alderaan.
I fell in love with it, but... those prices!
I am looking everywhere for this set and prices from years are still hilarious - it's just silver! cheapest of fine materials. Why I need to pay 2000$ or 2,500€ for only necklace.. and finally I decided to make a set of them by myself!
Because... Why not?
So enjoy my journey!

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Too Much Garlic

Master Member
Good luck with the journey. I'm sure there are a lot who has excellent reference to share with you.

The prices are usually for the license and what the piece represents, not the material used. That's why $60-100 of resin and fiberglass used to make a helmet isn't indicative of it's sale price of $800-1500. And licensed props, even jewelery do sometimes increase in price on the secondary markets.

gingerygrace

Good luck with the journey. I'm sure there are a lot who has excellent reference to share with you.

The prices are usually for the license and what the piece represents, not the material used. That's why $60-100 of resin and fiberglass used to make a helmet isn't indicative of it's sale price of $800-1500. And licensed props, even jewelery do sometimes increase in price on the secondary markets.
I understand this of cause, I willl show my progress of cause. Maybe, if everything will be ok, I will do runs - I saw a lot of time this things, like bulk order or whatever it is, but I will need help, once everything will be finished.

Well, if you mean jewelry - yes, this ones) But that's not mine thread)
I have some plans on Padme Amidala Pilot( EP II), Peacock( EP III Cut scene) and Sleeveless Mustafar( EP III) jewelry - but it will be after my Ceremonial Leia adventure)

gingerygrace

I am in process of making bracelet. In my researching I got a lot of photos and only one measurment - 17,5 cm size of bang, but there is no measurments such as high, thickness. Does anyone know of where I need to look at for this things? Or maybe someone can measure original ones( I saw that some people here have originals on hands)? That will be very helpful!

Somerset

Possibly some more sizes can be derived from these current sales and old auctions? Some have the overall necklace and bracelet sizes (but I imagine they came in multiple sizes anyway) but perhaps you can figure out the smaller measurements based on the scale?

Planetoid Valleys Necklace

"Size: inside 59 x 49mm, small to average female wrist size.

Width front: 23mm

Weight: 41gram"

A blog:

"My bracelet is the standard 17.5cm measurement – it is also available in special order 16.5cm and 18.5cm versions (though I’m not sure if these additional sizes are still available). It does require some interesting twisting around my wrist to get on, as it has just the one small opening in the band (approximately 25mm across), and no room for adjustment. The standard size is definitely more suited for slender wrists, but once on it is comfortable and not too heavy."

"Designer: Bjorn Weckstrom Maker: Lapponia Design #: N/A Circa: 1976 Dimensions: interior: 1.75" H x 2.375" W Country of Origin: Finland"

"Width: 2.2 cm / 0.87" slightly expandable
Inner diameter: 5.8 cm / 2.3" to 4.5 cm / 1.77"
Inner circumference: 19 cm / 7.5"
Opening: 2.6 cm / 1.1" "
Weight: 42 gr.

Last edited:

gingerygrace

I am a little bit frustrated with texture.
How it was on originals of Karrie Fisher's set?
On some photos there is gloss everywhere and on others - kind of a grain-y, matte texture.
So I am a little confused with that
I am on near finish line before printing wax models, so need some advice)

Mara Jade's Father

Master Member
I have done some of my own research since I did a very low budget, build of the necklace. You can find the info/images I gathered here:

First off, it's Carrie (with a C"). I will not have my first girl friend disrespected. I was 8 at the time and she never knew that. But the photo she signed for me does say "Love"... so I got that going for me.

Second, there is a minimal grainy texture to the the necklace. It's very minor which is why most people assume it is smooth and polished. But if you look at it closely, they buffed a shine to the ridges of the fold (not the whole panel). There is actually a photo showing the polishing during the making of these necklaces.

There was a post of an auction in which some one was selling a real necklace and they posted measurements.

The individual piece size is 25 x 27 mm and the total length of this necklace is 41 cm.

I believe (pure speculation) that the actual starting piece prior to shaping might be more like 30 x 30 mm. However after the piece was shaped (bent, folded, creased, rolled, etc...) the front of the panel came out to be 25 x 27 mm.

I also believe the links are oval but I have no idea the size.

TatooineMachine

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I’m keenly interested in this thread. Galaxy’s Edge store Den of Antiquities had a sterling necklace for sale and it was $2000! It was just about perfect “looking”, not sure on the measurements, but $2K is steep

RebelGhirl

Hello everyone!

First of all, my name is Polina and my hobby is recreating jewelry from games, tv series, movies and etc.
For years my favourite sci-fi movies are Star Wars. I am simply perfectionist and very passionate about details - props and especially costumes! Of cause I were so shocked and amazed to see Prequel trilogy in cinemas - Trisha Biggar( costume designer) made magic on screen! Those fabrics, colors, textures.. I was in love. But, my favourites are still original trilogy - designs of costumes are simple and very futuristic at the same time.
As a silver jewelry lover, I can't go and didn't look at famous Ceremonial jewelry set of well-known Princess of Alderaan.
I fell in love with it, but... those prices!
I am looking everywhere for this set and prices from years are still hilarious - it's just silver! cheapest of fine materials. Why I need to pay 2000$ or 2,500€ for only necklace.. and finally I decided to make a set of them by myself!
Because... Why not?
So enjoy my journey!
I am very interested in your progress and updates. If I like the what you produce I'd be interested in purchasing a set of the bracelet and necklace if you'd be willing to take orders. I have plans to do a remake of my Ceremonial Leia I built way back in 2004. Would love to have these to wear IRL too. :)

gingerygrace

Have some good news - I calculate everything and come to about 900-950$ for jewelry set( necklace+bracelet) from sterling silver. Is it normal price for replica of such jewelry from same material?

Axlotl

Master Member
You could electroplate them to bring the cost down.
There's do-it-yourself electroplate kits you can buy, that are surprisingly inexpensive.

Mara Jade's Father

Master Member
Have some good news - I calculate everything and come to about 900-950$ for jewelry set( necklace+bracelet) from sterling silver. Is it normal price for replica of such jewelry from same material?
That’s more than the Paul Michael Design variant but that one is not a set nor is the detail in the panels correct on that variant.

gingerygrace

You could electroplate them to bring the cost down.
There's do-it-yourself electroplate kits you can buy, that are surprisingly inexpensive.
Electroplate is Ok, but I am trying to make 1-to-1 replica from same material as used in original.
I will do normal verison, which will be ok for costuming, collecting and everyday use.
That’s more than the Paul Michael Design variant but that one is not a set nor is the detail in the panels correct on that variant.

Oh, just checked Paul Michael.. looks. Hmm.. poor and strange. Just inspired by, not replica.
I am looking for auction's photos of 1970 versions of necklace and bracelet.
I found this photo from making of necklace - looks like there is a border on the back + I see texture very well. Also a very close up of fastening.

Attachments

• 80838146_2_x.jpg
    80838146_2_x.jpg
    473.1 KB · Views: 29
  • fIczcijhYeE.jpg
    fIczcijhYeE.jpg
    393.1 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

Mara Jade's Father

Master Member
looks like there is a border on the back + I see texture very well. Also a very close up of fastening.
If you go to the link I posted a few days ago, you will see more images of the underside and the closure.

No one I know of has done a replica of this necklace anywhere close to accurate. I’ve looked. Good luck. I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

GhostOfThrawn

If my first set will be successful, I will do a run with all payment options and with a final price. Maybe I will open my own Etsy shop. Ebay is not my thing - their fees are too high..
Just a caution, Kalevala Koru is known to be a pretty aggressive to defend their IP. They have been suing a lot of jewelry makers here in Finland at least.

I took some photos to help you:

0001.jpg 0002.jpg 0003.jpg 0004.jpg 0005.jpg 0006.jpg 0007.jpg 0008.jpg 0009.jpg 0010.jpg 0011.jpg 0012.jpg 0013.jpg

Let me know, if you need photo from some specific angel. :)

Last edited:

gingerygrace

Just a caution, Kalevala Koru is known to be a pretty aggressive to defend their IP. They have been suing a lot of jewelry makers here in Finland at least.

I took some photos to help you:

View attachment 1493471 View attachment 1493472 View attachment 1493473 View attachment 1493474 View attachment 1493475 View attachment 1493476 View attachment 1493477 View attachment 1493478 View attachment 1493479 View attachment 1493480 View attachment 1493481 View attachment 1493482 View attachment 1493483

Let me know, if you need photo from some specific angel. :)
Oh!! Thank you so much for the photos! I love some old Kalevala Koru jewelry, but.. cost is insane.(
I made few copies of Kalevala jewelry based just on their photos, for example on first photo is original and second - my copy. So people can see my work. Hope, that with this set quality will be same as my copies of other jewelry.

Attachments

• xLsvocWntpA.jpg
    xLsvocWntpA.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 26
  • bhf7Clh5tbg.jpg
    bhf7Clh5tbg.jpg
    460.9 KB · Views: 24
  • P6X6QQO3Gc0.jpg
    P6X6QQO3Gc0.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 23
  • eyWOhXe9QCw.jpg
    eyWOhXe9QCw.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 23
  • ilkz1J1SHjA.jpg
    ilkz1J1SHjA.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 20
  • 29c3HhMZvJY.jpg
    29c3HhMZvJY.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 24
  • AkayX4028oo.jpg
    AkayX4028oo.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 0R_eLvbcY30.jpg
    0R_eLvbcY30.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 21
Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.