ANH 1:24 X-Wing Reference Photos

Discussion in 'Studio Scale Models' started by PHArchivist, Nov 15, 2005.

1. PHArchivist

PHArchivist Master Member

Understand I'm no rookie or newbie.

I've been studying Star Wars in one way, or another for 28 years...

And I've read through this thread:
    http://www.rpf.invisionzone.com/index.php?...pic=44625&st=20

Additionally, I have a moderate collection of pics of Red 2 from the museum tours.

Finally, I have an average to above average collection of reference books on Star Wars, including Chronicles, and The Art of Star Wars, among various others.

I've known that behind-the-scenes reference shots of these models are not plentiful, but until I needed insight on a specific detail, I never realized just how few there are.

So...

Besides the list below, what else exists in terms of reference pics (not screen-caps or publicity shots) for these classic 1:24 scale original X-Wings?

Chronicles
    The Art of Star Wars
    From Star Wars to Indiana Jones
    The Star Wars Technical Journal
    The Star Wars Album
    Captain Cardboard CD,

2. Watson

Watson Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

3. PHArchivist

Hey, thanks anyway. ;)

So can you think of anything I missed?

4. Watson

5. bobbyfett

bobbyfett Active Member

I too would like to see if anyone has some good reference shots of Red 5 or the other ANH models. I've got all the reference books and websites bookmarked, but stuff like Red 5 or Red 1 is hard to come by. Darkside 72 has shown a few good shots every now and then, but from what I understand he is not interested in sharing them due to the original owner's time spent taking the photographs. If anyone else has some good shots, I'm sure we'd all love to see them. :)

6. Talisen

Talisen Sr Member

Hey guys, I have a copy of the assembly DVD but it does not have any ref pics. Would someone be able to send me the pics? Please PM or email kcr @ pathcom.com

Red 2 is the version I want to build and all I have are pics of Red 3 since it's the only one I've ever seen on tour (MoM and SMI tours)

BTW - there's some great pics currently up here:

http://www.forbiddenplastic.com/ref_star_wars/index.html

7. 12Rogues

12Rogues Well-Known Member

There were a few on the Behind the Magic CD ROM that came out a couple years before the prequels. I doubt they are anything new. There were a couple of Red 5 and some of Red 3 I believe. I've seen them on the net before.

8. Watson

9. PHArchivist

Question:

The Art of Star Wars overhead shot of Red 3 is also printed in The Technical Handbook...

BUT...

The images are reversed (or, one of the two is reversed).

Any idea which is correct?

10. Miniaturizer Ray

Miniaturizer Ray Well-Known Member

It's fairly easy to work out; there are lots of asymmetrical parts on the X to give it away.

Or, for the lazy folk, the AoSW is correct.

11. PHArchivist

(see below)

12. PHArchivist

If you are insinuating that I am being lazy by requesting information via this board, then I take issue and offense to your comment.

If your comment is offered as good-natured teasing, then an emoticon would be beneficial, and recommended.

13. Miniaturizer Ray

Sorry dude.

If I was insinuating that you were being lazy - and that being lazy was objectionable (I'm superlazy, myself) - then I wouldn't have included the answer, would I? :p

14. Clerval

Clerval Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

15. PHArchivist

Thanks man. Sorry, too, if I was being hypersensitive. :)

And I forgot to say "thanks" for the answer.

16. PHArchivist

I had a Maxi-Brute I bought off ebay successfully delivered yesterday, and have "X-Wing Fever"...

Can't wait to start messing with it, though it may still be a while before I decide how to best use the body.

17. Miniaturizer Ray

That's from the "Star Wars Evolutions 2005 Vehicles Calendar". The wing's a cut and paste job from the Red Leader model that also appeared in the original frame (because that part of the Red 5 wing is out of frame).

18. spinner 44

spinner 44 Well-Known Member

PHArchivist,

I would add another publication in the list. The "Famous Spaceships of fact and fiction" by Kalmbach Books 1979. It's a modelling manual and has a few b/w pics of ANH models (Y,X, TIE and TIE Advance fighters) plus 2 color of the 5 footer MF. The book was re-issued by FineScaleModeler some years ago.

On the X-wing therev are just 4 pics, a small close up of the cockpit, a portrait and two big made from the right side. If I'm right the ship is Red 2.

Regards

19. PHArchivist

Forgot about that one -- got in my library. Thanks.

20. 12Rogues

12Rogues Well-Known Member

Does anyone know what that marking is on Red 5?

[​IMG]