Andy's Posters: SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION (spoilers)

thegreatgalling

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hello,

So ever since I saw kurtboy's post about his AWESOME replicas of Andy's postcard and letter to Red (Check it out here, Marcus' stuff is always detailed and very accurate: http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=67024), I wanted to expand my non-existent Shawshank collection.

I have set my sights on the poster Andy uses to cover the hole he uses to escape in his cell. In the film, he uses three: a Rita Hayworth poster, a Monroe poster, and a Raquel Welch poster. It should be noted that I do not know the exact size of the posters in the film.

According to one source, "The One-Sheet is definitely the most common among US movie poster sizes, measuring 27 inches by 40 inches. It represents the standard movie poster size used in U.S. movie theaters today.

However, up to 1983, one-sheet originals measured approximately 27x41 inches in size, while re-prints of pre-1983 originals normally measure anything between 39.5 inches to 40.5 inches in height, by 27 inches in width."

http://www.practical-home-theater-guide.com/poster-sizes.html

Since the film is set in the 60s, this would likley mean the poster would be 27 x 41.

In the film, the first and the last poster feature more prominently, with the Welch poster getting the rock thrown through it by the Warden. The hole it covers:

andy3.jpg

For reference, here are some pics of the Hayworth poster that are online:

shawshank1.jpg

andy1.jpg

I found a version of this poster for almost $30 but the poster appears to have a sepia tint that the film version did not. Also, you will note the film poster is cropped to the edge of the framed photo behind Hayworth, but this version of the poster includes more to the left of the frame.

Here is that poster (27" x 35")

andy2.jpg

and its source:

http://www.moviegoods.com/movie_product_static.asp?master_movie_id=10662&sku=412828

After looking around, I found a nice guy who sells a more accurately colored version for about $80 plus shipping at 24" x 36" or about $90 for a 30" x 40". He expressed to me that he would be willing to offer a discount for group orders. Again, however, this print does not appear to be cropped correctly.

Here is a pic of that poster:

andy6.jpg

My true object of attention, however, was Andy's last poster of Raquel Welch. The photo of her is from the film One Million B.C. and was apparently one of the most, if not the most, popular pin up of the 60s.

Here is a pic of that poster:

andy4.jpg

As you know, this was the poster than the Warden desecrated when he threw the stone through it in one one of my favorite movie scenes of all time. I found a source for this poster for about $25 plus shipping at 24"x36." I am awaiting a response whether group orders will merit a reduction in price.

This post was for intended for reference information, but PM me if you want me to put you in touch with these sources.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back