Andor - Aldhani Rebel Cell Old Navigation Tool identified - Spoiler Alert

As a matter of fact, my wife noticed this gauge tool at Narkina 5 floor. Inscription is in aurebesh, but don't know If this is a real tool or made up for the TV show. Nevertheless, It seems like the kind of stuff we are looking for.

Attachments

• IMG_20221109_223631.jpg
    IMG_20221109_223631.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 107
  • IMG_20221109_222641.jpg
    IMG_20221109_222641.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 93
I am looking for a measuring tool like this. I saw a lot protractors, measuring gauges, etc. Nothing like this before. It does not seem made from scratch. Def a found object. I also watch for marine navigation tools, not lucky so far.
What is the name of the tool in the picture?

As a matter of fact, my wife noticed this gauge tool at Narkina 5 floor. Inscription is in aurebesh, but don't know If this is a real tool or made up for the TV show. Nevertheless, It seems like the kind of stuff we are looking for.
That's an incredible catch, but I don't think it's the same tool. The one attached to the nav tool is 3 clearly segmented parts, whereas the part in Narkina is solid. But this does make me wonder if they're just manufacturing these parts. :/ I've asked two of the prop makers from the show, including the prop master about it and neither of them answered the question about the collapsing protractor/quadrant.

I still can't figure out what the sonar attachment really is. It looks completely custom. Even the angle and cutout on the back don't match a real Sonar. Not sure if they had a real one to start with. It may have been replaced for functionality, keep it foldable after all the mods.

1669249031847.png

The propmaster replied to my question on Instagram saying the handle is made from two of the exact same parts (end to end) and they had lenses inside. It looks like they have pocket clips too. Too short for dosimeters. Maybe pocket flashlight/torch? (I think he would have said torch though instead of "lens").
Two contact pins on each as well. I'm thinking touching both at once would complete a circuit to turn on whatever it is.

1669249375010.png

I still can't figure out what the sonar attachment really is. It looks completely custom. Even the angle and cutout on the back don't match a real Sonar. Not sure if they had a real one to start with. It may have been replaced for functionality, keep it foldable after all the mods.
The prop master told me the following regarding the greeblies and the Sonar attachment of the camera:

" sliders and cross fader switches from a mixing desk where used and the wheel at the side was a scaled down technics 1210 turntable foot."

the "wheel at the side" he's referring to is what's added to the sonar attachment.

"the sonar attachment was adapted somewhat, to fit the side wheel, and to change up the look, and the cylinders at the side where telescoping with lenses"

So the Sonar attachment was modified to fit a Technics 1210 turntable foot.
1669251555135.png

The question then becomes how did the modify the housing of the Sonar attachment? Did they 3D print one? Is it replacing the original housing, or is it added over the top? I'm not sure.

The propmaster replied to my question on Instagram saying the handle is made from two of the exact same parts (end to end) and they had lenses inside. It looks like they have pocket clips too. Too short for dosimeters. Maybe pocket flashlight/torch? (I think he would have said torch though instead of "lens").
Two contact pins on each as well. I'm thinking touching both at once would complete a circuit to turn on whatever it is.
That scope reminds me of what you might see on a telescope. I think it's called a "finderscope".

"the sonar attachment was adapted somewhat, to fit the side wheel, and to change up the look, and the cylinders at the side where telescoping with lenses"
That was his response to me.
I don't see anything that matches the original Sonar, not even the honeycomb pattern of the sensor itself. That's why I'm thinking it was completely replaced with a 3D print.
Are there good shots of the other side? I'm curious how the Technics foot was "scaled down". Maybe it was inset into the side of the faux Sonar box like a dial? I don't think we're seeing the foot from the front. That silver bit might be the stem of the foot and a tube instead of the mounting screw.

That was his response to me.
I don't see anything that matches the original Sonar, not even the honeycomb pattern of the sensor itself. That's why I'm thinking it was completely replaced with a 3D print.
Are there good shots of the other side? I'm curious how the Technics foot was "scaled down". Maybe it was inset into the side of the faux Sonar box like a dial? I don't think we're seeing the foot from the front. That silver bit might be the stem of the foot and a tube instead of the mounting screw.
It looks like the feet for the turntable have 2 parts. One is a knurled grip, the other is a rubber insert with a screw. I think they just used the insert part.
1669259712839.png

View attachment 1641278
What about penscopes? from today's search, I saved this:

You can see the lens popping up in the same scene.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back