And yet another Captain America Rescue Version costume.

Furtive

I'm a couple years late to the excitement of this one. A few months ago, Dear Wife told me "lets go to EpiCon (August 1-3, Mexico City) dressed up." Wife is in great shape, and does kickboxing. Wants to go as Black Widow. How could I say no to that?

I've collected militaria for the past 30 years, when I was a kid and Army/Navy surplus stores were still in abundance. Also read a lot about WW2, even interviewed a US Army Master Sgt (my buddy's grandfather) that went through Normandy all the way into Germany with the 40th Signal Corp (four hours of war stories on video). I figured an accurate Rescue costume would be fairly easy. Boy was I wrong.

I've learned a lot about this costume over the past three months, and my wallet took a beating. Reading up here, and seeing the attempts of others did help. I wanted to go with original vintage gear whenever possible, and finally have original NOS:

- M1943 leggings, size 3R
- M1936 combat suspenders
- M1926 cartridge belt
- leg strap (for the M6 knife sheath)
- AN-6530 flight goggles (restored)

The rest of the costume (repro):

- Corcoran reissued WW2 brown Paratrooper boots. I wish these were made half as well as my black Corcorans, and 1/4 as well as my original M1943 double buckle boots.
- that brown leather jacket. Bought on ebay for around $140. Looks good, feels good, but... it don't smell like real leather. If it isn't real leather, I'll have a shop in Mexico City replicate it in cowhide. There's a shop downtown that restored an original A2 flight jacket for me, they do fantastic work.
- Paratrooper helmet from At The Front, beefed up with NOS helmet top strap and repro leather chin strap. Painting it was fun. Valspar rattle cans from Lowe's, per the recommendation of another member here.
- Marvel Cap A short sleeve shirt. Found 8" embroidered stars on ebay, and a 50/50 long sleeve white shirt to establish long sleeves. Need to take it to a shop for the sewing.
- At The Front Paratrooper pants. Bought a new pair on ebay, saved a few bucks. Need the pants hemmed, but they are awesome.
- repro OD7 belt for the pants.
- M1916 holster. Target shooting is also a hobby; picked up a Rock Island Armory GI 1911A1 and added pair of Remington rosewood grips.
- Ontario M3 knife. I've had it for a few years, got a correct repro M6 sheath to go with it.
- At The Front Paratrooper gloves, medium. I normally wear medium; small would fit better. Of course, every shop is now out of small size gloves.

I'm going to forgo the dual compass cases that go across the chest. I know this is all make believe costume fun, but... they get in the way. I'd rather have a canteen on the web belt (got one of those, it'd be handy at the show).

What else... the shield.

Bought a Cap heater shield on ebay for $90. Made in Pakistan. Completely unhappy with it - too big, too flimsy, and a lousy paint job. So after more reading here, I found Valor's heater shield thread. The man was kind enough to share his dwg format images with me. All Metal Fabricators (here in Delaware) handled the job and made two 8 gauge 6061 aluminum shields and they are awesome. AMF is big operation, they do all kind of industrial work. When I picked up the shields, the guy that I had been communicating with was very excited: "What are you doing with these things?!" I'm thinking "now I get to tell these guys about geekdom."

"Wife and I are getting dressed up for a comic convention in Mexico City. I'm going to be Captain (expletive) America."

Big grin on the man's face. "That's a huge show! We did the fabrication work for Marvel's premier of Spiderman 2 up in New York a few months ago. One of our guys built an Iron Man suit for himself."

Small world, eh?

Shields were not milled or polished, saved some money there - figured I could handle the sanding myself (up to 600 grit so far). For the paint - I'm lousy when it comes to painting this kind of stuff. We all know what a quality Cap shield should look like, and I'm amazed at the results members here have achieved. Made an attempt with Krylon rattle cans when the weather was good, and... ended up stripping it back down to bare metal (Citristrip, great stuff for normal coatings). Tomorrow I'm getting in touch with a local guy that does electrostatic paint, and a body shop. Whoever quotes a better price gets the job.

As far as shield handles go... this has to be the toughest part of the costume for me. Got pieces of 1/4" 6061 Al from AMF, with the idea of constructing handles of repro 782 canvas webbing, or 1/8" thick brown leather straps, fitted with original WW2 surplus hardware to the aluminum bars. Going to try affixing the bars (once drilled/tapped for machine screws) to the shield back with JB Weld. We'll see how that turns out. Figured out a loop method and finally received the steel tips (ebay from China) for the webbing today.

If you've made it this far (tl;dr), I'm not much for photos. I do my hobbies for my own amusement, and strive to do a good job. Here's a few pics of the gear so far, I'll post more
over the next few weeks.

-Mark aka Furtive

DSC_0041_zpsvvec2xbh.jpg

DSC_0036_zpsjfbdslq5.jpg

DSC_0032_zps9vfaf2dy.jpg

DSC_0028_zps7gyad4c0.jpg

DSC_0027_zpsw9gzdxxx.jpg

When I painted my WWII shield up I had issues with the krylon paint as well. The colors looked good but the paint stayed soft.

For the shield I used vinyl from a local graphics/print shop. He sold me 20"x20" squares of red, white and blue along with some chemical to help you move the material as you set them to the spot you want it. It all worked great. It looks wonderful, it cleans really nice and you never need to worry about scratching it. Also, if it ever gets ripped, I just pull it off and put on a replacement piece. The size I purchased was enough to do several heater shields.

When arranging, I put the strips next to each other using a long metal ruler. the blue was solid and the white stars were placed over the blue. The entire thing took me about two hours to cut and paste together. The back was painted with brass paint. I have been to several cons and when someone asks to take a picture, I hand them the shield just to see their face light up. With the vinyl you do not need to worry about them messing the shield up.

Jose Garcia-Lopez (long time DC artist) even asked to have his picture taken with it and Elizabeth Bretweiser (Marvel Captain America artist Mitch Bretweiser's wife) posted an online picture and said that it was a "great Cap getup".

Furtive, as stated earlier, the vinyl worked great. Although thinking about it I think I got 24 x 30 inch sheets not 20x20. I do know that the price of the vinyl was cheaper than the cost of rattle cans and the ease of application and look is well worth it. A few suggestions, go gentle on the setting spray as a little goes a long way. Use a squeegee to remove any extra moisture and air bubbles. A hair drier works well when you need to follow the contours of the shield edge. Take your time and work with the material... it is forgiving. Lastly, if you make any small mistakes, just use a little vinyl patch to fix it... you can not see the fix at a distance of more than a few inches away.

The shop also creates printed vinyl wraps for cars. The stuff is printed, cut, applied, and then heat shrunk to the car. It looks assume and wears like iron. We talked about him printing the shield design on this material and then applying it to the shield. I told him I was going to try my idea first... which worked so well I did not need to go back. But I have kept that in mind for potential future projects. Just a thought.

Wicked project, looks like it's going really well for you. Do you happen to know what the name of the leather jacket is? Maybe I missed it in your original post, but I've always loved that jacket.

Wicked project, looks like it's going really well for you. Do you happen to know what the name of the leather jacket is? Maybe I missed it in your original post, but I've always loved that jacket.

The name on the tag is "FZ Merchandise", and the materials tag does say "real leather" - although I'm still not sure about it. It was shipped directly from Pakistan. Looks good, fits well, and construction seems to be decent enough.

More updates:

Took the pants and shirt in for tailoring today - the Chinese lady taking my measurements got a kick out of the idea of a show where people dress up as superheroes; I guess they don't have comic conventions where she was from. In broken english, she asked several questions about the show. I'll have to return to the store sometime in full get-up, bringing in work pants to be pressed. See what kind of reaction that gets. :eek

Still haven't gotten to paint or vinyl on the shield, but did more sanding. Shield front is now at 1200 grit wet sand, going to finish it up tonight. The reverse is back to 400 grit, to give a vertical brushed texture. Tedious work, but it's looking good. I'm pretty sure I'll have the front painted white, and back gold by a local auto body shop, then maybe add the blue/red stripes/stars in vinyl. My machinist buddy is back from vacation; going over to his place Monday to drill the holes in the handle pieces to mount the strap hardware. Really hoping I can finish the shield before Aug 1 (when I leave for Mexico City).

Thanks to everyone that's given a thumb's up to my first project!

Last edited:
Update: Miss Ann at Garnet Cleaners completed the shirt today... turned out perfect, along with the hemmed pants. imho, the embroidered stars (front and back) were worth the extra money. Judge for yourself:

DSC_0073_zpssvuz2kzz.jpg

My machinist buddy was back in the office today, unfortunately there was a problem with one of the handle pieces. As luck would have it, his daughter bumped into him as he was tapping a hole for mounting the strap brackets - resulting in him breaking the screw tap in the aluminum, nearly flush with the surface. This is why I bought two of everything for the shield... I believe in luck, and it works against me. He's going to cut the piece short, and drill/tap new holes. We checked it out today, and I'm going to prepare the spare handle piece, buy him a new screw tap, and ask him to do it again (this time without the teenager in the room).

Looks like I will not have the time to paint the shield before the show. Not a deal-breaker for me; I'll bring the bare shield. It still looks far better than the one I bought on ebay.

I'm hoping there won't be any problems with bringing the helmet through Mexican and US customs. It's a real piece of military armor, and modern helmets can't be exported out of the US (unless you're actual military and the govt is sending you somewhere). Ran this by the 50 year old comic geek at work, he advised me to just wear it into the airport and see if they'll allow me to board the plane :lol. I will load up a few of the ammo belt pouches with bite sized Hershey chocolate bars, to hand out to little kids at the show in genuine WW2 US soldier fashion.

I decided to shorten the far too long jacket wrist straps myself, and finish the ends with the steel tips used for the 782 web straps - leaving them still long enough for proper re-sewing. Good news - the jacket is real leather after all, now I can treat it with leather care gel (Lubrigel, by Casa Luz-Z, bought in Mexico) to bring out the color and loosen it up. So aside from the shield, the costume is complete. Excelsior!

Update: Miss Ann at Garnet Cleaners completed the shirt today... turned out perfect, along with the hemmed pants. imho, the embroidered stars (front and back) were worth the extra money. Judge for yourself:

View attachment 352716

My machinist buddy was back in the office today, unfortunately there was a problem with one of the handle pieces. As luck would have it, his daughter bumped into him as he was tapping a hole for mounting the strap brackets - resulting in him breaking the screw tap in the aluminum, nearly flush with the surface. This is why I bought two of everything for the shield... I believe in luck, and it works against me. He's going to cut the piece short, and drill/tap new holes. We checked it out today, and I'm going to prepare the spare handle piece, buy him a new screw tap, and ask him to do it again (this time without the teenager in the room).

Looks like I will not have the time to paint the shield before the show. Not a deal-breaker for me; I'll bring the bare shield. It still looks far better than the one I bought on ebay.

I'm hoping there won't be any problems with bringing the helmet through Mexican and US customs. It's a real piece of military armor, and modern helmets can't be exported out of the US (unless you're actual military and the govt is sending you somewhere). Ran this by the 50 year old comic geek at work, he advised me to just wear it into the airport and see if they'll allow me to board the plane :lol. I will load up a few of the ammo belt pouches with bite sized Hershey chocolate bars, to hand out to little kids at the show in genuine WW2 US soldier fashion.

I decided to shorten the far too long jacket wrist straps myself, and finish the ends with the steel tips used for the 782 web straps - leaving them still long enough for proper re-sewing. Good news - the jacket is real leather after all, now I can treat it with leather care gel (Lubrigel, by Casa Luz-Z, bought in Mexico) to bring out the color and loosen it up. So aside from the shield, the costume is complete. Excelsior!

I know I’m late to the party here, but if you’re around, where did you find that embroidered Star?? I can’t fond anything nearly that size online. Would love some input from anyone with a lead on one.

I know I’m late to the party here, but if you’re around, where did you find that embroidered Star?? I can’t fond anything nearly that size online. Would love some input from anyone with a lead on one.

I'm not the original poster, but lacking a source for seperate stars, I'm pretty sure if you take the shirt to an embroidery shop and they will embroider the star directly on to the shirt.

I'm not the original poster, but lacking a source for seperate stars, I'm pretty sure if you take the shirt to an embroidery shop and they will embroider the star directly on to the shirt.

That’s true actually. Never had something like that done before either, might be worth a look around my city to see what services I can find. Thanks for the suggestion, mate!

Not sure if the pictures are still live on this thread, but did anyone have the images of the “FZ merch” jacket that was mentioned earlier in this thread?
I’m hesitant to buy the first thing I see off eBay because everyone is using the same stock photos. I’ve looked for reviews all over but can’t find any images of jackets that people have actually bought.

Any help appreciated! :)

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back