And the BEST Western of all time is...

Everything with Terence Hill and Bud Spencer. And the Dollar Trilogy. I Like the 3:10 to Yuma with Bale and Crowe. Even enjoyed the Remake of The Magnificient Seven from 2016. Don't Like anything with John Wayne. Maybe you've to be "murican" to get into those

Nope. I'm 'Murican, and I don't "get" the whole John Wayne thing either. I don't dislike the man, but I don't see what all the fuss is about. Nothing special.
Agreed. The man almost seemed like a bridge between the personality actors of the Golden Era like Humphrey Bogart (who pretty much played the same boozy cynic in every movie) and the personality actors of the '80s like Stallone, who always played the same oiled up muscle-man. In his case, Wayne pretty much always played the same aloof gunslinger in almost every one of his movies. I like a few of his movies that have a supporting cast interesting enough to pull the camera away from Wayne's shoot 'em up antics (like "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance" and "The Longest Day"), but I wouldn't call myself a big fan of his work, when most of his work consists of "you've seen one, you've seen them all."

Last edited:
Ride in the Whirlwind directed by Monte Hellman and written by and starring Jack Nicholson. It was shot back to back with Hellman’s other western, The Shooting, which also starred Nicholson and had the great Warren Oates. They’re atypical, existential westerns, which share traits with Hellman’s thoughtful and moody film, Two Lane Blacktop.

Any western with: John Wayne, Henry Fonda, James Stewart, Kirk Douglas, Burt Lancaster, Robert Mitchum, Clint Eastwood, Anthony Perkins and many more ;)

Agreed. The man almost seemed like a bridge between the personality actors of the Golden Era like Humphrey Bogart (who pretty much played the same boozy cynic in every movie) and the personality actors of the '80s like Stallone, who always played the same oiled up muscle-man. In his case, Wayne pretty much always played the same aloof gunslinger in almost every one of his movies. I like a few of his movies that have a supporting cast interesting enough to pull the camera away from Wayne's shoot 'em up antics (like "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance" and "The Longest Day"), but I wouldn't call myself a big fan of his work, when most of his work consists of "you've seen one, you've seen them all."

Yeah, John Wayne played John Wayne his whole career. I admit to having seen more than my share of his movies, a lot of his stuff is mediocre, and some of it is bad. However, he’s got some great movies. Rio Bravo is fantastic. The Ford cavalry trilogy is really good stuff, even if dated, as is the Searchers, great flick but a tad iffy nowadays. I love The Sands of Iwo Jima. He made fast food feel good movies, many times straight up propaganda, but until the seventies that’s what people wanted.

Yeah, John Wayne played John Wayne his whole career. I admit to having seen more than my share of his movies, a lot of his stuff is mediocre, and some of it is bad. However, he’s got some great movies. Rio Bravo is fantastic. The Ford cavalry trilogy is really good stuff, even if dated, as is the Searchers, great flick but a tad iffy nowadays. I love The Sands of Iwo Jima. He made fast food feel good movies, many times straight up propaganda, but until the seventies that’s what people wanted.

And he will forever be the man who shot Liberty Valance

Last edited:
I'm trying to remember who it was who said this on the Gilbert Gottfried podcast, but he was talking about John Wayne the actor still being a studio-created fictional character that he played all the time, and that he actually said to him "you don't really think you're John Wayne, do you?" It didn't go over well. ;)

^ John Wayne didn't just think he was John Wayne, he knew he was John Wayne. Robert Mitchum told a story about meeting John Wayne at one of his offices one day. He said when Wayne arrived he started yelling at some of his female employees about their job performance and even knocked over a chair or two on his way to his personal office. Mitchum said as soon as Wayne closed the door behind him his demeanor changed from angry to jovial and he pulled a bottle of booze out of his desk. Seeing the puzzled expression on Mitchum's face, Wayne explained with a grin, "You gotta' keep 'em Wayne-conscious." He was the boss, and he made damn sure everyone knew it.

I know John Wayne is famous for Liberty Valence and other major films,
But did anyone watch 'Hondo' (1953)?

It's another great western with an amazing dog actor by JW's side.

For me, its either

Kill_Bill_Volume_2.png

Or

91WgnhSHyzL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Anybody remember that scene is season 5 of Breaking Bad with that meth cook that looked like Hugh Jackman? I was totally thinking "That fellow looks like Wolverine!" And lo and behold the very next episode they say "Yeah, that guy that looked like Wolverine only got the meth up to 68% purity!" (or something like that)..

I was like "DUDE!!" (y)

A lot of the older Westerns can be hard to watch. Old being pre-60's. There are certainly still some good ones. And it's getting far more rare to find a decent modern Western. They're just not in style.

But one of my favs to date is more modern:

1594555449349.png

And of course the trailer naration by Optimus Prime:

For John Wayne movies. I tend to navigate toward Rio Bravo and El Dorado (Really like Caan's character, Mississippi). In both cases, it tends to be the interaction and dialog between the characters.

The original Magnificent Seven and Tombstone are on my list as well.

I really love Quigley Down Under. It might be my favorite western...or is that technically an eastern? :p

I know at the time it did not do well in the theaters but every time I watch it it, I think about how I would have loved to see it as a franchise. I'd love to see someone do a Quigley series. But I also know that a good deal of the appeal of that movie is Tom Selleck and how cool he is as a cowboy. Those would be some big boots to fill.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back