Ancient Archaic Lighsaber

Volador

** *EDIT* I ended up drawing the same conclusion as many of the posters; that the saber was too thin and breakable. As such, I have started over from scratch.

This new incarnation of an ancient Jedi lightsaber features a hilt constructed of steel plumbing pieces I found at a recycling warehouse, and the "spikies" are made from 9 ply baltic birch, (the same stuff they make longboards from) plexiglas, steel reinforced epoxy, all encased in Loctite epoxy.

The reason for the composite is to add strength, so the spikies don't snap off during future dueling. I'm planning on adding an Ultrasabers heavy duty duelable blade, as well as an LED.

Although the saber is still in progress, I'm pleased with how it's shaping up. I might cast a few more if it turns out well, and someone ends up interested in having one as well.

Hope y'all like it! **

Ever since I was a kid sitting in Borders Book Shop, reading the graphic novels of Ulic Qel Droma and the ancient Jedi, I have been drawn to that particular illustrator's depiction of the weapons of the ancients.

I love the organic, yet sinister shapes, like it was forged in a pool of intelligent nanobot magma.

BTW: I'm not intending for the whole thing to be shiny shiny silver. I don't want it to look brand new and polished, but I won't be "weathering it" per say.

Here is an example of the saber I am going for:
Ulic2.jpg

Ancient4.jpg

Ancient2.jpg

Ancient1.jpg

Ancient3.jpg

Let me know what you think! I WELCOME FEEDBACK!!

Last edited:
Re: Ancient Lightsaber of Ulic Qel Droma in Progress!

I think where the blade emits looks fantastic, just like the image. But I think the entire thing is too thin. What diameter of pipe are you using?

Very nice start. I will have to agree it looks a little on the thin side. I would at a guess say 1/8 bigger wall thickness pipe (1/4 total) would give it a little more meat. Is the grip area going to have any texture? Maybe just beef it up at the grip and see how it looks. And whats the over all length?

looks a nice start, if its me need to be around 1 1/4 diameter, and 13 inches long, and guessing is thin now, because he is going to ad layers of material.

another question, its intended to have a blade ?

thx.

I was going to add as well if this was to be a display blade or not? Some girth may be needed for the electronics to include the LED emmitter. It looks great though, mate!

Regarding the girth-iness, indeed the handle will be built up, as well as the rest of the unit. I intend to have this be functional as a dueling, electronic saber.

At this stage, I'm simply making a sculpture to be casted, or perhaps CNC'd out of aluminum.

We'll see what it looks like tomorrow!

Alright knowledgeable folks - What is the diameter of a typical lightsaber blade?

I would like to make any size mods early on before I get too ahead of myself, so I need to know what sort of clearance I need.

Thanks so much

The custom saber community usually use polycarbonate blades with about 1" OD, and hilts usually need to be at least 1 1/4" OD to be able to fit electronics.

Complete Blades

Saber looks pretty sweet so far, what's the emitter made of?

The custom saber community usually use polycarbonate blades with about 1" OD, and hilts usually need to be at least 1 1/4" OD to be able to fit electronics.

Complete Blades

Saber looks pretty sweet so far, what's the emitter made of?

Hey, thanks for the info.

The emitter is made from a PVC fitting and balsa wood. Unfortunately, and especially with the spikey-things, I don't think I've made it big enough, so I'm starting over!

Just got some sink parts and other miscellany from a 2nd hand construction site, so Imma go start me a new one from scratch.

I'll post pics if I come up with anything fun.

So, I've decided to redo the entire piece, as indeed it is too thin.

I've crafted a new hilt out of steel pluming piece I found at a 2nd hand hardware store. The emitter spikes I'm crafting out of thick plexiglas, as I cannot TIG weld. Yet.

Will post pics soon.

Re: NEW PICS: Tales of the Jedi: DUELABLE ANCIENT LIGHTSABER WIP!

BUMP for starting over from scratch. Definitely open to feedback.

XOXOVOLADOR

Looks much better now, just, the 3 ends need to be more like a triangle, end in a sharp point. (more aggressive)
actually for me its something like a main core, with addons on top (or around) the main core
something like in the pic I attached
hope that help (or maybe I am wrong)

anyway loos good
attachment.php

Thanks for the input, 666, and taking the time to make a graphic. I agree, in that particular rendition, you are spot on in your analysis of the design.

I agree that tapering of the spikies needs to happen, and probably I'll reinforce that with epoxy over carbide steel from hacksaw blades. (I break a lot of hacksaw blades.)

The reason it doesn't resemble exactly your graphic representation is twofold:

1. Strength is a major consideration. I'm installing a removable heavy duty dueling blade that can go up against bokken, as well as other suitable saber blades. If I make them too thin, they could break in combat.

If there is any sort of interest, I would cast the hilt/emitter in a suitably strong material, such as aluminum. In that eventuality, I could carve certain parts even thinner, if that turns out to be most pleasing to my, and the collective eye.

2. The graphic artwork in the "Tales of the Jedi" series does not have a set pattern for lightsaber design, as they change from frame to frame. This is intended to be sort of a melting pot of those styles, with my favorite aspects incorporated.

My favorite image is that of the one I posted - Ulic Qel-F'n-Droma.

I'll post some more once I get this thing a littlle pointier and whatnot. Additional feedback and criticisms are encouraged and welcome!

Last edited:

Now that is looking spot on to me. Definately worth the restart IMHO. can't wait to see it finished.

Re: Starting over AGAIN: Tales of the Jedi: DUELABLE ANCIENT LIGHTSABER WIP!

Thanks everyone for your words of encouragement and suggestions. I like the 2nd generation I made, but I just can't help myself:

I'm starting over for a third time, from scratch. I want everything possible to be metal, including the spikies, which I'm going to cast individually from aluminum.

Wish me luck.

Re: Starting over AGAIN: Tales of the Jedi: DUELABLE ANCIENT LIGHTSABER WIP!

Alright, I've re done the emitter and pommel completely. They are metal and SHARP. Here are a couple pics. Keep in mind it is not done yet. Obviously also installed electronics and a Ultrasabers battle blade.

saber4.jpg

saber3.jpg

Man, I feel like I'm the only one posting in this thread! No matter.

I was trying to find my "Tales of the Jedi" graphic novel at my parent's house, without any luck. Does anyone have any good pics of the archaic Jedi sabers I'm building? I think I've exhausted google image search!!

Anyways, that would help me out mucho with the completion of this project, as well as hopefully provide inspiration for the next!!

i gotta say, its lookin great, i wouldnt worry too much about the thiness, as its easier to add to something than it is to take away (i sound like a jedi lol)

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back