Anakin Starkiller V2 lightsaber show-off thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by manooga, Aug 5, 2015.

1. manooga

manooga Well-Known Member

We all are excited about this recent run, and I have seen several beautiful finishes of this prop, so thought it would be good to have them all concentrated in a single post. So to start, here it's mine (only missing the clamp which is already in the US waiting for me!):

20150805_174827639_iOS.jpg 20150805_174923652_iOS.jpg 20150805_174947833_iOS.jpg

Please share yours as you finish them!

Epona_Rhi, russellsch, enrico and 6 others like this.
  2. mugatu

mugatu Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That looks real good, Manooga. REAL GOOD!
    As a not very good painter/weatherer, combined with simply how awesome Dan's reconstruction turned out, I'm still not sure that I will paint mine. It's intimidating.

3. Halliwax

Halliwax Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I know the feeling, I am very nervous about weathering too. I always found it hard to do things randomly.. I don't know how serious that guy was about making a stencil. My luck I'll weather and the day I'm finished he'll post the stencil run! LOL

that V2 looks awesome!!

- - - Updated - - -

Mind sharing the tools u used to achieve this look? Did you use any chemicals to help soften the paint? I really like how it came out and so nervous to do this

mugatu likes this.
  4. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

Close your eyes halliwax and mugatu ... trust your feelings ... use force ... then ... do it!

That's some serious skills manooga, wrap it carefully before you start moving country :)

Chaim

russellsch, enrico, mugatu and 2 others like this.
  5. manooga

This! :D

20150805_230944403_iOS.jpg

For real!

It's very easy. These were the stages in the process I followed (I had experience painting at least 3 other V2s, so had no fear with this one):
    - I primered the whole thing with Tamiya Metal Primer. Let it dry for like 2 hours.
    - Sprayed the whole thing with regular acrylic spray matte black paint purchased in the supermarket. Let it dry for like 1 hour.
    - Scratched the rings hard with the knife to make the paint go off.
    - Using ref. pics I started doing the weathering with the can opener. You gotta treat it roughly, you mean to weather it, so you can't be gentle.
    - Sprayed the whole thing with Tamiya clear semi-matte coating. I must confess that since I finished it I have added more weathering. Even after taking those pics I discovered a few mistakes. I have just scratched it more with the can opener.

Don't be afraid. Worst case you won't like it and will need to sand it all and then paint it all over again.

6. Luke the Belter

Luke the Belter Well-Known Member

Finished the paint job on mine today and took some pictures.

Luke ROTJ Lightsaber 31.jpg Luke ROTJ Lightsaber 32.jpg Luke ROTJ Lightsaber 33.jpg

Luke ROTJ Lightsaber 34.jpg Luke ROTJ Lightsaber 35.jpg

I'm still searching a mystery chunk and am not sure about adding the tape around the neck.

russellsch, enrico, mugatu and 3 others like this.
  7. Halliwax

Looks great!!

Luke the Belter likes this.
  8. roygilsing

roygilsing Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looks great! Very authentic with the glossy black background :) when I'm done, I'll make similar comparison shots for sure!

Luke the Belter likes this.
  9. thd9791

thd9791 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I seriously love how each of ours are different! I sprayed right on the bare metal and let it cure for a day or two. I find that I handle my props quite often, so it will get weathered in time with use.

Attached Files:

10. mugatu

Tom, as always, killer work, man. It looks really really good.

thd9791 likes this.
  11. Luke the Belter

I like the AFBB look. I liked it when I painted my saber and I knoe some other people liked theirs in this stadium too. It was hard to go on with weathering. Like to see how yours looks in a year or so.

roygilsing and thd9791 like this.
  12. HeartBlade

HeartBlade Active Member

Looks great. Nice work on the weathering.

13. thd9791

Thanks Andy! that means a lot

Me too, I've very excited to see how this will look next year, 5 years and more down the road :)

mugatu likes this.
  14. Halliwax

Tom it came out great! Though I don't know how happy your cat is to have his/her picture taken :)

thd9791 and mugatu like this.
  15. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

Tom's devine cat from Siam is thinking : 'What's all this fuss about, just take me on your lap and start worshipping me instead of handling that tool' :lol

Chaim

russellsch and Halliwax like this.
  16. thd9791

Hahaha indeed, he was perturbed about not having full access to my window. I was struggling to get good lightning to let my camera auto focus. thanks for the compliments, I'm very, VERY proud of this one. I can't help but walk by and handle it every time.

Sym-Cha and mugatu like this.
  17. manooga

Finally complete!! :D I successfully moved to OH and got all my sabers in good condition, and today I received Roy's lever and D-ring. This is the outcome now! I was lucky enough to find an original Graflex clamp with the correct piece on the opposite sidebar to the lever, so I got it with the rust and everything as it should be:

IMG_4243.JPG IMG_4244.JPG IMG_4245.JPG IMG_4246.JPG

And this is how I secured the emitter to the rod.
    IMG_4247.JPG

18. Halliwax

came out great!

19. Luke the Belter

Looks great.
    Is the clamp very loose on the saber or fits it perfectly? I'm asking because on the pictures it is in the Hero ROTJ saber position.

20. PoopaPapaPalps

PoopaPapaPalps Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

It undoubtedly fitted loosely on the actual prop or, at least, somewhat loose; it moves positions in almost every pic of it along with the pommel.

21. Halliwax

i sanded down the inside tabs on my replica clamp, because it wouldnt sit flush when locked, did everyone have to do that?

mugatu likes this.
  22. Luke the Belter

I did this, too. But after that a had to tighten the lever a half turn more and sand down the card a bit.

Trooper_trent and mugatu like this.
  23. mugatu

I grinded down the four tabs inside my Graflex clamp because when I set the clamp and lever in the right position, it left weird looking gaps between the clamp and body. It also accentuated the "folds" in the clamp where it was rolled/pressed by the manufacturer.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
  24. Halliwax

awesome, I am glad I'm not the only one who did this. after looking at the celebration 7 photos I figured they had to have filed them and not folded them back flat because the squares look the same size

regardless before I sanded them I should have chimed in an asked. lucky enough I didn't screw up

always better to measure twice cut once, not all of us carry a "board stretcher " on the job site

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mugatu likes this.
  25. Anakin Starkiller

Anakin Starkiller Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

You guys are doing such great jobs finishing these sabers off. It's incredibly rewarding when you see the play in your head, throw the ball, hope for the best, and then get to totally watch your receiver run it in for a touch down!

Awesome work guys :thumbsup

26. RexKramer

RexKramer Well-Known Member

Yes, you must file down the 'tabs' inside your clamps in order to fit!

27. Curmudgeon

Curmudgeon Well-Known Member

Just finished mine up today.

I had a lot of fun working on it and I'm pretty happy with the results, although I may do a tiny bit more here and there.
    IMG_0657.JPG

IMG_0658.JPG

Tried to replicate the look of my real clamp.. I think I got it pretty close

IMG_0659.JPG
    IMG_0660.JPG

russellsch, thd9791 and mugatu like this.
  28. mugatu

Curmudgeon, it looks great! The clamp looks real good to me.

Curmudgeon likes this.
  29. Halliwax

looks real good! clamp looks great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Curmudgeon likes this.
  30. Curmudgeon

Thanks guys!

31. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

That weathering is truly great indeed :) . . . However ... you say you use a real clamp on your V2, so here's my question : Does your 'X' line up like so? (see picture below)

[​IMG]

Or does your 'G' and 'X' line up as seen on these pictures?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chaim

Kroenen77 and Curmudgeon like this.
  32. teecrooz

teecrooz Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I think he said he tried to replicate the look of his real clamp, meaning the one on the v2 is a replica, but he does have a real one.

Sym-Cha likes this.
  33. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

:confused

Chaim

34. Halliwax

Thanks for that Chaim, now I know how to tell the difference ;)

Sym-Cha and thd9791 like this.
  35. Curmudgeon

Thanks for the info Sym-Cha! Teecrooz is right, that clamp is a Roman's that I stole from my unfinished Obi Wan saber, until I can find another real one or he starts to sell them again! I only have one real graflex that I used for a Luke ANH saber.

Sym-Cha likes this.
  36. PoopaPapaPalps

I can now join the cool kids' table.

IMG_4917.JPG IMG_4909.JPG IMG_4914.JPG IMG_4913.JPG IMG_4905.JPG IMG_4906.JPG IMG_4887.JPG IMG_4902.JPG

37. Halliwax

that looks great!! how did u dull the lever!? it looks old! and i think your the first one to use the v2 as a hammer, good job!!

38. PoopaPapaPalps

It's actually just poor lighting and angling on my part; the lever's actually pretty shiny. The rest though is exactly how it looks! Hammer nicks and all.:D

Halliwax likes this.
  39. NeoRutty

NeoRutty Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Details? Was that with the stencil? What paint did you use?

Looks great! I'm lining up my projects, and seeing what I can get done as things are slowing down...

40. PoopaPapaPalps

No stencils or anything special there, I'm afraid; I just sprayed the thing down in a semi-gloss black paint and chipped away at it with my fingernails, rolling it around on the ground, and just handling it. The most thought put into it was trying to make certain parts resemble the scratches on the actual prop, IE: the emitter face.

Touch-ups done with a q-tip.

russellsch likes this.
  41. Kroenen77

Kroenen77 Sr Member

Thanks for the info...but what design is correct for the V2?

42. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

All I was pointing out was that Curmudgeon was using a replica clamp, which he confirmed see post# 35, and not a genuine vintage real clamp. The last pictures as shown in my post are of a genuine real vintage G R A F L E X clamp, which obviously is the only correct version for the screen-used V2 lightsaber, not this replica made by Romans Empire, though it is a good alternative for a substitute V2 clamp, with prices for G R A F L E X parts going through the roof lately :wacko

Chaim

43. Kroenen77

Kroenen77 Sr Member

Ah ok...so the G and the X must be in line to the holes on the clamp,right?

thd9791 and Sym-Cha like this.
  44. mburkit

mburkit Active Member

I know I posted photos else where but I figured I'd join the party in this thread! Here's my V2. I'm rocking a real GRAFLEX clamp, along with the Slothfurance card and Roy's extended lever. I painted it with Krylon Satin Black then spent about 2-3 hours weathering it with an exacto blade and sandpaper. I tried my best to weather it like how it appeared in the photos of it at Celebration this year.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I decided to use a shaft collar to hold the emitter rod in place on my build.

[​IMG]

And last, but not least, a photo of my Anakin Starkiller V2 with all of his brothers!

[​IMG]

From left to right: Real Graflex Luke ESB Saber I built, Romanprops Obi-Wan Saber, Anakin Starkiller V2, LDMcustoms Mark VI V2, SD Studios Luke ROTJ "Hero"

45. Sym-Cha

Sym-Cha Master Member

That is correct :)

Chaim

ataru72ita and Kroenen77 like this.
  46. Panaflex

Panaflex Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

mburkit

Nicely done. What size shaft collar did you use?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2018
  47. mburkit

mburkit Active Member

I used a shaft collar for a 5/16" OD shaft. I purchased mine from McMaster-Carr; here is the link: http://www.mcmaster.com/#6432k13/=z0b07z

I hope that helps!

48. ogrotesque1

ogrotesque1 Active Member

All of these V2's look SO amazing, great work guys! This saber and, of coarse, Obi-wan Kenobi's ANH saber have always been my favorite. For some reason I'm fascinated with the Darth Vader ROTJ Graflex too. I can't wait to get my very own V2 from the next run by Anakin Starkiller! I've got all the parts for one so far. One of Slothfurnace's accurate clamp cards, McMaster-Carr mystery chunk (I have 8 left if anybody needs one?), and Roy's accurate extended lever. Just need a clamp from Roman, as well as the V2 itself and I should finally be legit!

Sym-Cha likes this.
  49. Kroenen77

Kroenen77 Sr Member

What is the McMaster-Carr mystery chunk and Roy's accurate extended lever?

50. Halliwax

mystery chunk in the center of picture below
    [​IMG]

roys custom lever, and slothfurnaces circuit board below
    [​IMG]

Kroenen77, mugatu and roygilsing like this.