Anakin Starkiller RoTJ Hero Finishing Tutorial Thread

Halliwax

Legendary Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
starkiller thumbnail1.jpg

This is the official Tutorial for Anakin Starkiller's latest RoTJ Hero run. Below you will find his assembly guide and official painting instructions for both the Hero & Yuma. Please feel free to ask questions here, and post your finished Heros/Yumas! It is hard for our European friends to get their hands on the Ace gold, Please see post #3 where we share over seas color combinations!!

Parts required to complete kit

Anakin Starkiller RoTJ Hero/Yuma Hilt
starkiller2.jpg

Sloth Furnace Clamp Card
st_ROTJHWB_set.jpg

Tools List

2mm allen wrench
pliers
dremel w/ cut off wheel
dremel w/ sanding dumb
small file set
4mm tap
100,200,320,400,600,1000,1500 sand paper
e6000
scotch tape
masking tape
0000 steel wool
glass cup

Paint List

Tamiya German Grey
Tamiya Clear coat
Rustoluem canyon satin black
Ace antique gold (wind vane secret weapon!)

Ace Antique Gold
INSTRUCTIONS
It is very important to follow the instructions below when applying Ace Antique Gold!!

- First clean the entire hilt with isopropyl alcohol
- Find a glass cup, fill approximately 2" of water
- Shake Ace Antique Gold for 2 solid minutes
(this is a serious part, metallic paints are very finicky)
- Microwave water for 2 minutes
- Place pre shaken Ace Antique Gold into warm water and let it heat the can for 2 Min
- After the can has been warmed, shake ace gold again for 1-2min
- Apply ace gold with VERY light coats
- Repeat light coats until you are satisfied with the finish and done!!

Video Tutorials

Unboxing & review

Assembly of the Hero featured guess Anakin Starkiller himself!

Hero Painting and finish work

Yuma Stencils and ACCURATE finish work

-last update 3-22-20

Last edited:

Anakin Starkiller has seen the Hero in person more than anyone else. He has matched the color of the wind vane to a off the shelf spray paint found exclusively at ace hardware. Which is great for us guys in the states, but isn't so easy to find over seas. Many Euro members have reached out to me with what colors they have come up with and i wanted to share them here in this gallery to help others decide which way to go. Below is the ace gold as reference. Photo of Gregatron's hero paint job

antiquegold.jpeg
greg 1.jpg

Europe Paint Options Gallery

Jamie Owen's Humbrol Color

Jamie used a 50/50 mix of Humbrol 12 & Humbrol 54
IMG_3527.JPG

IMG_3528.JPG

IMG_3530.JPG

BTTUK used the products below to achieve his look
UK based and I used Montana Gold (maker), Matt Gold (colour) from Fat Buddha Store in Scotland.
fcf5337f-e458-44c9-8789-17647dc47a6c-jpeg.jpg

Damok used the product below to achieve his look

1. Halfords Primer Grey
2. Halfords Satin Black
3. Halfords Nissan Gold Metallic
img_5637-jpg.jpg

If you have a color combination you would like to share, please post here and i will link it to this gallery post to help others (who can't get ace gold) determine what colors to go with. Thank you all for your support!​

Last edited:
Would it be possible for someone in US to buy a can and mail it to canada?

I was going to organize a mass purchase here and then ship to a single home out of the country, where that person could distribute to everyone else

When I inquired about it I was told about getting busted in customs and being fined...

My connection at UPS told me the loop hole in the system for me to send the spray cans.. BUT if I were to get caught I’m in big time trouble...

she had to pay a couple thousand dollars in fines for a leaking cell phone battery.. I forgot the price. I posted it somewhere here the second I left the office explaining to the guys I can’t do it

If my memory is right it was over 3k In fines for shipping a old cell phone with broken battery

She said it would be VERY expensive, to the point I could be charged criminally..

I forgot where I posted the update, but I did in the parking lot while unlocking my bicycle.. it was a big let down

If you have someone in the country and and cross the border we can ship it there, but leaving the country isn’t possible :(

Thank you for this, Halliwax . It really amazes the amount of work you put into helping everyone of us and expecting nothing in return. You really are a legendary member.

I try to help the community, right now it’s very difficult because my life is super busy. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel though! Things are positive

The yuma I have a few nights of filming done, there’s more steps then the hero.. but I’m cracking away at it

I was going to organize a mass purchase here and then ship to a single home out of the country, where that person could distribute to everyone else

When I inquired about it I was told about getting busted in customs and being fined...

My connection at UPS told me the loop hole in the system for me to send the spray cans.. BUT if I were to get caught I’m in big time trouble...

she had to pay a couple thousand dollars in fines for a leaking cell phone battery.. I forgot the price. I posted it somewhere here the second I left the office explaining to the guys I can’t do it

If my memory is right it was over 3k In fines for shipping a old cell phone with broken battery

She said it would be VERY expensive, to the point I could be charged criminally..

I forgot where I posted the update, but I did in the parking lot while unlocking my bicycle.. it was a big let down

If you have someone in the country and and cross the border we can ship it there, but leaving the country isn’t possible :(
aahh didnt know it was a forbided good

The questions they ask you at the Post office are for your own good! Basically; aerosols, many chemicals, batteries of many chemistries, and any other deemed dangerous goods are forbidden to get on the truck without the proper paperwork/pre-authorization!

Halliwax
First off, thanks for sharing and for your efforts here. Very helpful and much appreciated for the DIYer. There’s an unfortunate trend these days for folks to not share since they feel it will eat into their commissions, so thank you.

Couple questions...
* on the canoe, I can see print lines in the area that needs to be painted grey. Did you sand smooth or fill the lines? Any foreseeable issues if I tried to smooth out using Tamiya putty?
* are the ends of the unpainted rails suppose to be grey also?

Great idea on attaching the black boxes with grub screws. I have some 8-32 screws left over from another project that will likely work and is more or less equivalent to the 4mm you used.

Halliwax
First off, thanks for sharing and for your efforts here. Very helpful and much appreciated for the DIYer. There’s an unfortunate trend these days for folks to not share since they feel it will eat into their commissions, so thank you.

Couple questions...
* on the canoe, I can see print lines in the area that needs to be painted grey. Did you sand smooth or fill the lines? Any foreseeable issues if I tried to smooth out using Tamiya putty?
* are the ends of the unpainted rails suppose to be grey also?

Great idea on attaching the black boxes with grub screws. I have some 8-32 screws left over from another project that will likely work and is more or less equivalent to the 4mm you used.

Not being cocky, but did you watch my finishing video? I cover all of this..

I think 8-32 is too large.. you’ll have to drill the holes bigger.. I don’t know if you’ll have enough meat left inthe buttons to thread them on

6-32 was too small... 4mm was just right

Yeah, and even though in this loop hole trick, I can get it to leave my ups store and head out of the country

All my information is on the shipping label so they can trace it right back to me

And doing this with the knowledge meant if it being against the law is a criminal offense

That’s all I need lol

Not being cocky, but did you watch my finishing video? I cover all of this..

I think 8-32 is too large.. you’ll have to drill the holes bigger.. I don’t know if you’ll have enough meat left inthe buttons to thread them on

6-32 was too small... 4mm was just right

Yes, a couple of times and didn’t see the print lines on the canoe addressed and the ends of the top rail look grey in the reference photos and not white. Maybe it’s the lighting...

I see what you are saying about the set screw as I have 6-32 as well and knew those were too small.

Yes, a couple of times and didn’t see the print lines on the canoe addressed and the ends of the top rail look grey in the reference photos and not white. Maybe it’s the lighting...

I see what you are saying about the set screw as I have 6-32 as well and knew those were too small.

Are you referring to the print line down the middle of the rail? There is a line going down the middle of the rail, you use that line to line the edge of the tape up with when masking off

Can you please post photos of your canoe for an example

I have one of Dave’s finished ISYHCANLs. He resides in the UK, and the paint he used for the windvane is very close to ACE antique gold. If you check his build thread you can see the spray paint he used.

I checked the UPSP site and the only types of paint we can mail internationally is water-based and plastic-based paints. The ACE paint is neither, so we can’t even decant from the spray can and mail it overseas.

Great thread. Very helpful.

On my Hero that I put together a while a go I used foil tape to do the rails on the switch box, it matched the machined copper neck perfectly. I don't think that it would be a good solution here, I think those two parts need to match in color.

If I had to make a guess as to why you can't ship the spray paint oversees is because it's probably put in an unpressurized airplane. The pressure change might cause it to explode.

Great thread. Very helpful.

On my Hero that I put together a while a go I used foil tape to do the rails on the switch box, it matched the machined copper neck perfectly. I don't think that it would be a good solution here, I think those two parts need to match in color.

If I had to make a guess as to why you can't ship the spray paint oversees is because it's probably put in an unpressurized airplane. The pressure change might cause it to explode.

Bingo!

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back