Halliwax

Legendary Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Anakin Starkiller Darth Maul EP1 Tutorial
835a85a3414d5791c2bb7e619c5cc1~mv2_d_1668_3348_s_2.jpg

Video
Anakin Starkiller Darth Maul TPM Lightsaber

___Parts Needed___

3/8-16 threaded rod (little over 20" long)
Nylon washer (lowes
H#881539)
x2 3/8-16 nuts (used as a guide to cut the rod)

__Tools___

Hack saw
Sand paper (to de burr edge)
Old shoe lace ( to pull the O rings over the hilt)

__Weathering___

Chemical Aging

Ok gang! so this is long over due, but here goes nothing! First lets spread out our parts and get that 3/8-16 Thread rod ready to cut.
Screen Shot 2019-10-12 at 6.13.46 PM.png

Next get the Ol' Tape measure out and mark it at 20-1/4" or 20-1/2" i ended up going 20-1/4", but wouldn't recommend going any longer then 20-1/2'!
tape1.JPG

tape2.JPG

Next thread those x2 3/8-16 nuts we picked up before onto the edge of the rod, and leave the black line we just marked out so we can cut it off. we are going to use the nuts as a guide to help cut the rod.
Nuts.JPG

after you are done cutting, unthread the nut(s). this actually helped re thread it a little bit, and then lightly brush the end with some 120 sand paper and you should be able to thread the nut back on with ease. MAKE SURE to test this with the nut first, you can easily ruin your emitter end cap if its not clean enough. just light sanding until you get it to thread on.

Ok so now all we have to do is assemble it! there is a certain order to the washers and I explain this better in the video, but here is a photo of them spread out, and numbered on the order. again this is easier to understand in the video

but from the emitter back, or like in the picture below, Emitter to the left the order goes

1Large, 2 Medium, 1 Large, 2 Medium, 1 Large, 1 Medium, 1Small, 1 Medium, 1 Small, 1 Medium, 1 Small, 1 Medium
Screen Shot 2019-10-12 at 6.23.49 PM.png

They should now look like this
IMG_1137.JPG

Next we have to install the O-Rings, in the video i do with with fishing line, but if you have a shoe string or ribbon it goes pretty easy.

Screen Shot 2019-10-12 at 6.23.07 PM.png

If you watch the video its pretty simple, there is 5 O-rings, and there locations can be found here.
Oring location.JPG

Now just thread the ends on, leaving enough room on the another end of the other emitter.
IMG_1156.JPG

You Should now have a completed Darth Maul Double Bladed light saber!! Congratulations!!!

5-1-19

hey gang. I wanted to start this thread alittle early. I have yet to finish my written tutorial but the video is up

Until then here is some great reference of the original prop
077DF754-CE50-4C79-83A8-91B5617CEF7C.jpeg

I hope everyone will share their finished Maul sabers here, and share how and what you did for weathering

I got a covertec clip coming in the mail. Once I get it I can finish the written tutorial but until then we got a video of this tall boring guy blabber around while his 44lb beagle barks upstairs...

THIS THREAD IS A WORK IN PROGRESS

Last edited:
Weathering The End Caps

Tools/Parts list

Chemical Aging acid A14
Steel wool 0000
320grit sand paper

Ok Gang, so I aged my end caps today. Before i did anything, i threw the end caps in the lathe and spun them. Hitting them from the inside and pull out with the paper to simulation the machine tooling mark

you can do this same thing with a power drill if you have one!
lathe.JPG

Now with some machine marks in them, lets whip out that acid!!

Always be sure to wear protective gear! this stuff is no joke!
acid.JPG

I scuffed everything up then threw it in the acid bath
acid2.JPG

And after 5 mins of soaking...

acid 3.JPG

after drying it off , i buffed the one on the far right, this is what I'm going for

IMG_1145.JPG

here's more comparisons
aged1.JPG

aged 2.JPG
aged3.JPG

aged4.JPG

Now just screw them on, and glue the little metal end caps in and your good to go!!

done1.JPG

done2.JPG

Last edited:
Danny, you are the man! Great video.
I am going to take my 1 back apart and use the 3/8 nylon washer for the middle like you suggested. I used the poor man’s washer (rolled up paper towel) so far and it just isn’t going to cut it.
Thanks for the video.

No problem guys! Thanks for the support, honestly Andy I like my nylon washer. But I think the rubber washer would work even better

Wish my Lowe’s had a rubber one my size so I could try it

I was hoping to have some of my friends working at Lowe’s that night but not a single one..

Man those are gorgeous

aw were the center holes like a millimeter off, causing the center shift?

Also, halliwax, thats a thick nylon washer, is there a recess that it sits in? the two halves are flush with one another and I don't see where that washer ended up lol

Heads up, it looks like your guys' inner o-rings (the ones between the middle and the ends) aren't lined up correctly. If this reference image is correct, they should be pushed farther from the center to right before the black rings:

lightsaber-jpg-jpg.1014678

Heads up, it looks like your guys' inner o-rings (the ones between the middle and the ends) aren't lined up correctly. If this reference image is correct, they should be pushed farther from the center to right before the black rings:

lightsaber-jpg-jpg.1014678

Mrwax good catch! This is a easy fix thankfully!

I did go with 2 rubber washers in the center and it went together very easily and lined up great.

When I disassembly mine to take the photos for the tutorial I’m going to try the rubber washer. There is a Lowe’s in my brothers town, he’s suppose to grab me 1 for this weekend. I’m gonna have him grab a few extra now knowing this

Thank you!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back