Anakin Skywalker ROTS lightsaber model

Skigro

I recently started working on the Anakin rots saber after a friend requested it. I had never really thought of doing it before. I started my research and started to love the design. So I finally sat down and started working. Typically when I create my models I try to make it specifically for 3D printing. Simple construction, and mostly solid on the inside. However, this time I am designing it to be machined. Creating functional buttons, adding threading and sourcing necessary screws.

I haven’t looked into what I need to do for the machining yet but I’ll research it once I’m finished with the design. Any tips for getting designs machined?

I am pretty happy with the model so far. Let me know what you think.

skinnyflex_2019-Sep-08_02-35-02PM-000_CustomizedView3449246531.JPG
skinnyflex_2019-Sep-08_02-34-42PM-000_CustomizedView12627738506.JPG

Beautiful model!
I really hope someone does a run of accurate Anakin lightsaber with real Graflex-like locking mechanism, other than 7chambers

Any tips for getting designs machined?

Hey @ Psych0ticmisfit ! Win the lottery. ;)

Seriously though, one thing to add to your model is the little locking tabs in the locking grooves. The GRAFLEX holds itself together by pressure from the battery spring being applied to the batteries which in turn put pressure against the inside of the bulb-holder. As that pressure now pushes back towards the bottom, and forward to the front, it holds both halves against the locking grooves and the securing tabs in the Clamp prevent the two halves from rotating into, and then sliding out of the the locking groove channel as they bump into and cannot pass the locking tabs on the bottom and top tubes.

What program are you using to create your model?

Lars Christensen has a tutorial on setting up paths in Fusion 360, maybe it will help you understand the process a bit...

Wow, I hadn't realized he'd uploaded so many new videos! These are just a few, I haven't watched them all yet, so they may or may not be 100% relevant, but maybe it'll get you started.

Here's his Youtube page if you want to sort through them yourself...

I would imagine setting up paths for tubular objects with tubular shapes protruding from them is going to be be tricky.

Good Luck on your first machined lightsaber!

Yeah, I am not lucky enough to win the lottery. lol

I did not think of it at first when I added the slots on the two halves of the saber. But I was messing around with my graflex the other day and realized I missed the locking slot, but I just haven't fixed it yet. I will get to it soon.

I am using Fusion360 mostly. I have watched Lars quite a bit for other things. His videos are very helpful. I have been wanting to learn CAM, but I haven't had the time to sit down and start learning yet. Looks like I will need to do that soon.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back