Anakin ROTS glove buckles

acerocket

I originally posted this in the costuming forum (costuming forum thread) because it is part of an article of clothing, but realized that it also qualifies as a prop in it's own right, so I am reposting it here.

Almost a year ago I was contacted by a member of this forum (Primrodo) to see if I could make him a set of the Anakin ROTS hero glove buckles. At first I didn't have the time and was not all that interested in doing these anyways as I am more into custom lightsabers. But his frequent inquiries as to if I could do them finally led me to attempt them. I made him a set as a prototype for a possible larger run based on a few pics of the hero glove he supplied. They were made from stainless steel sheet stock, stainless steel wire, and some security screws I found at the hardware store. He got his buckles but I just didn't feel like making a larger run due to the amount of hand fabrication necessary. Even though I made them from sheet stock, I always maintained the hero buckle looked like a solid piece and not a stamping. I moved on to other projects never quite forgetting about the buckles. As fate would have it, these buckles would once again come back to me (quite by accident as I was coming home from my company's Christmas party with my wife and son). I recently found the real world source for the buckle used to make them as well as the special screws used to connect the plates to them. I am also in the process of locating the correct loop for the leather strap and side plates that connect them together.

100_2039.jpg.w560h172.jpg

100_2040.jpg.w300h297.jpg

The buckles themselves come from a pair of motorcycle boots. The boots are made by Sidi and the buckles can be found on the Discovery, Force SRS, Force TA, and Mini Force series of boots. Sidi boots. The buckles themselves can be ordered as replacement parts for about 8 bucks a pair.

The correct screws are a metric security screw that looks like this:
screw.jpg

Having the buckle in hand, I was able to determine the correct size screw to go with it. Once I get these from my supplier, I will post more information about them.
Likewise, I am in the process of tracking down the correct loop and will post it's information once I find it. I am just now beginning to hunt for the side plates, but seeing as they could be from just about anything, I may resort to having these machined/waterjet cut like the previous side plates I made.

There have been a few pics posted in the costuming thread that shows the actual hero glove as seen at C3 for comparison.

At some time in the near future, I will be posting a thread in the junkyard selling the small parts needed to make the complete buckle (12 screws, 6 side plates, and 6 loops) because of the nature of minimum ordering necessary to get the parts I needed. Please don't turn this discovery thread into an interest list (PM me if you are really interested or wait for the JY thread).

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back