An original alien design, full prosthetic makeup

Discussion in 'Sculpture and Makeup Effects' started by Zlurpo, Sep 19, 2015.

1. Zlurpo

Zlurpo Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I made this with a friend:

Alien Makeup.jpg

I thought some people might be interested to see the process I documented, imperfect though it is.
    There's over 50 images, so here's an album link!

2. Mr Mold Maker

Mr Mold Maker Sr Member

Very nice work.

For future reference, oil based clay really shouldn't ever be used to make a mold wall.. It just isn't practical and there are much better options out there. Pick up some white clay for use on all mold walls. EM-210 or EM-700. It will make your life a whole lot easier, and your molds a whole lot cleaner.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2015
  3. Zlurpo

Zlurpo Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Eh, I work in sculpture studio and we use oil based clay for everything. While it would be a little faster, oil based clay isn't too bad, you can leave it open forever and it won't dry out, shrink, or crack. I've used oil clay for the mold wall for dozens of molds, no real problems so far.

4. Mr Mold Maker

Mr Mold Maker Sr Member

I don't want to sound harsh or take away anything from your work.. but I'm quite the stickler when it comes to mold making. I have been doing it professionally for almost a decade, and hate to see otherwise great projects be hindered by poor mold making.

With the proper materials you could really cut down on those seam lines and make cleaner molds. Mold making is a whole skill set of its own, and without proper care it can ruin whole projects.. or at the very least cause you a lot of extra work.

I'd pick up Rob Freitas' Stan Winston School tutorial and watch through it a couple times. Rob is a good friend and a master of his craft.. he explains some of the finer points a lot better than I could. Gary Ye's tutorial is also fantastic for beginners working with stone.

If ever you have a future project and want any tips or suggestions, please PM me and I'd be more than happy to help. :)

Zlurpo likes this.
  5. FANTAMATION

FANTAMATION Well-Known Member

I have to disagree, it doesn't matter what you use to make your mold walls...... it's all about the execution. I've been making molds for 30 years and I've used everything from water based and oil based clays to wood, plastic, foamcore and cardboard for mold dividing walls. As long as everything is properly lubed and the walls have enough structural support you'll be fine.

13doctorwho likes this.
  6. Mr Mold Maker

Mr Mold Maker Sr Member

You're correct.. I was wrong in saying you should "never" use oil based clay for the mold wall. I guess it all depends on how you value your time and success rate.

However... On an oil based sculpture? Not exactly the smartest idea. You could absolutely use anything that you feel comfortable using, but without the time and effort it can and will make a horrible mold. Water based is much easier and conducive to getting a machine smooth, 90°, perfect finish. It's the industry standard for a reason. ;)

Good luck in whatever you decide using. :)

Last edited: Sep 20, 2015
  7. OdiWan72

OdiWan72 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

care to elaborate and explain the advantage of white clay for doing mold walls....just curious, since I might be in the position of doing some larger molds next year and also used oil clay in the past.

Thx in advance! :)

8. OdiWan72

OdiWan72 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

THAT LOOKS AWESOME!!!.....movie quality IMHO

Zlurpo likes this.
  9. FANTAMATION

FANTAMATION Well-Known Member

Well, for not being a very "smart" idea, the majority of molds I've made were done so using oil based clay and I always got a paper thin seam, even with making three and four part molds.......... Oh, and water based clay is the industry standard because it's the cheapest! ;)

Mr Mold Maker likes this.