An attempt to make a functioning PipBoy 2000 MkVI

Howitzer73

It had to be, ***** about 10 years ago I made an account for this forum, reached out to Skruffy, bought his model and started attacking it with a dremel with hopes of cramming a Raspberry Pi in it. Almost daily that project has crept into my head... nagging me.

I can't even remember my username from back then, let alone the email address I used for it. Anyways, my motivation was sparked again when I got the PipBoy 3000 Mk IV. It slowly faded away again as I started to try to source parts for that second attempt at a build. Life happens, you know?

Maybe, then, the third time's the charm. I'm finally opening up my PipBoy 2000 box and giving it a good look over, what cavities are easily accessible for what. Quarantine is making me really dig deep and look for things to do with my hands for sanity's sake.

I have a general idea of where things will fit. I don't have a plan. I don't know how to code in Python. I barely have a grasp on Linux.

So, with reckless abandon, I'm sourcing out parts and taking into consideration upgrades in equipment like a Pi ZeroW and better Lithium battery options than back in college with my shoestring budget.

Here goes nothing.

IMG_20200624_120530.jpg

I figured as best a place to start as any is a power button. Seeing as the button that came in the kit is a plastic button and a spring, it make me think "maybe I can cram a button in there." so i did.

The plan is for the brain to be a Pi Zero W, so I'm going to add a power on/off shim to the GPIO, then attach the leads of the button I make to the auxillary contacts on the shim, giving me an external power button that will run a code to boot up and safely shut down the Pi without having access to it.

Armed with my dremel, a cutoff disc and what I can only describe as a miniature CNC bit, I took the backing of the red button off to make clearance in the housing, cut off the long button on my switch because the smaller ones are on order and I'm an impatient petulant child. With some pliers I widened the spring to twist around the switch and hold it in place, and luckily, there's two holes in the bottom of the housing that are the perfect size for the leads of the switch to pass through. A little dab of liquid tape on the leads so the spring doesn't short it out and we're good to go.
IMG_20200624_131542.jpg
The end result is a functioning button with far too much play, but still works.

Don't let anyone tell you otherwise; I have no idea what I'm doing and failure is always an option.
IMG_20200624_133230.jpg
IMG_20200624_143436_1.jpg

I swear to all the gods, you have GOT to still be working on this!! I am doing the same exact project, except I’m working with the OS and peripherals first, and THEN I’ll figure out how to get the various switches working. I’ve got a GPS module, as well as a small DAC chip so I can have a functional map and radio. Individually, they work perfectly, but I’m having an issue where the PipOS wants to crash every time it goes to load in the GPS. (I’m using Selectnone’s Raspipboy OS he developed back in 2013, and I’ve got it MOSTLY updated and running... I was planing on using the same method as you for the power button, as well. My MAIN concern (aside from the OS) is finding a screen that will fit properly.

Hi, I'm working on my own version of the PipBoy 2000 Mk VI. Do you have any photos of the holotype eject mechanism. I cannot seem to figure out how it works from what I've seen on line. Thanks,

Life is what happens when you're busy planning other things, eh? The project inevitably went on hold two years ago when my hand slipped and I trashed the DATA button backplate with my endmill equipped drill press.
PXL_20220406_014926108.jpg

The other two came out wonderfully but all it takes is a slip of the hand- especially when you don't have replacement parts.
PXL_20220406_015230515.jpg

Because I'm an unorganized child at heart, I've also lost the DATA red button, and with no replacement parts available I have to try to manufacture a new one.

PXL_20220406_015632820.jpg

PXL_20220406_014708640.jpg

I hate that it's been two years since I've picked up this project but I'm glad to jump back in. My old job was disruptive to everything I wanted to do outside of work (third shift) so I had zero energy. In a nice turn of events I'm now an apprentice CNC machinist, which I think will help me learn some of the techniques needed to make props to the standard I hold for myself....even though I've never done this before.

I swear to all the gods, you have GOT to still be working on this!! I am doing the same exact project, except I’m working with the OS and peripherals first, and THEN I’ll figure out how to get the various switches working. I’ve got a GPS module, as well as a small DAC chip so I can have a functional map and radio. Individually, they work perfectly, but I’m having an issue where the PipOS wants to crash every time it goes to load in the GPS. (I’m using Selectnone’s Raspipboy OS he developed back in 2013, and I’ve got it MOSTLY updated and running... I was planing on using the same method as you for the power button, as well. My MAIN concern (aside from the OS) is finding a screen that will fit properly.
It's years later but I'm back at it! I have a pile of screens that I've acquired because of this project. If you're interested I can show you the closest I've come so far. It's so hard to find a screen that matches those damn dimensions.

Hi, I'm working on my own version of the PipBoy 2000 Mk VI. Do you have any photos of the holotype eject mechanism. I cannot seem to figure out how it works from what I've seen on line. Thanks,
If you still need this, absolutely!! I've got it in a box nearby so I can take as many pictures as you'd like.

I got a Ender 3v2 for my birthday this year, so I now have that at my disposal for making adapters or trying to print replacement parts but I have ZERO experience digitally modeling and I haven't started modeling for CNC yet in my apprenticeship so I'm stuck in that arena for now.

That's all for now,

IT LIVES!!!! Awesome to see that you’re still at it, and that life is smoothing out to make time more available. Between work and software issues I put this off to the side as well, all this time. Lol

I actually had a similar issue with the radio, where I was trying to install a metal grill into the speaker cover, and the glue I was using just ATE the plastic. I actually just emailed The Wand Company customer support, explained what happened, and they shipped me out a replacement cover that week, for free. They were actually super awesome about it.

I would LOVE to see/hear what screens you’ve found that work best. Preferably if they AREN'T touch-sensitive, as I have no idea how to go about converting the software I’ve got to touch.

What taking forever to make a Pip-Boy, who does that? ;)
I also have a collection of screens. The Hyperpixel 4.0 Square is what I settled on. Also, I have done a bunch of recent software work that you may want to look into if you haven't already (But it is again on hold behind life and other projects)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back