An attempt to make a functioning PipBoy 2000 MkVI

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Howitzer73

It had to be, Jesus about 10 years ago I made an account for this forum, reached out to Skruffy, bought his model and started attacking it with a dremel with hopes of cramming a Raspberry Pi in it. Almost daily that project has crept into my head... nagging me.

I can't even remember my username from back then, let alone the email address I used for it. Anyways, my motivation was sparked again when I got the PipBoy 3000 Mk IV. It slowly faded away again as I started to try to source parts for that second attempt at a build. Life happens, you know?

Maybe, then, the third time's the charm. I'm finally opening up my PipBoy 2000 box and giving it a good look over, what cavities are easily accessible for what. Quarantine is making me really dig deep and look for things to do with my hands for sanity's sake.

I have a general idea of where things will fit. I don't have a plan. I don't know how to code in Python. I barely have a grasp on Linux.

So, with reckless abandon, I'm sourcing out parts and taking into consideration upgrades in equipment like a Pi ZeroW and better Lithium battery options than back in college with my shoestring budget.

Here goes nothing.

IMG_20200624_120530.jpg

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

Howitzer73

I figured as best a place to start as any is a power button. Seeing as the button that came in the kit is a plastic button and a spring, it make me think "maybe I can cram a button in there." so i did.

The plan is for the brain to be a Pi Zero W, so I'm going to add a power on/off shim to the GPIO, then attach the leads of the button I make to the auxillary contacts on the shim, giving me an external power button that will run a code to boot up and safely shut down the Pi without having access to it.

Armed with my dremel, a cutoff disc and what I can only describe as a miniature CNC bit, I took the backing of the red button off to make clearance in the housing, cut off the long button on my switch because the smaller ones are on order and I'm an impatient petulant child. With some pliers I widened the spring to twist around the switch and hold it in place, and luckily, there's two holes in the bottom of the housing that are the perfect size for the leads of the switch to pass through. A little dab of liquid tape on the leads so the spring doesn't short it out and we're good to go.
IMG_20200624_131542.jpg
The end result is a functioning button with far too much play, but still works.

Don't let anyone tell you otherwise; I have no idea what I'm doing and failure is always an option.
IMG_20200624_133230.jpg
IMG_20200624_143436_1.jpg

Markus

I love that Pip Boy 2000. Although I have no idea about the game that it comes from (I'm not a gamer), it just looks great. So, I'm looking forward to following your progress!

lordzoabar

I swear to all the gods, you have GOT to still be working on this!! I am doing the same exact project, except I’m working with the OS and peripherals first, and THEN I’ll figure out how to get the various switches working. I’ve got a GPS module, as well as a small DAC chip so I can have a functional map and radio. Individually, they work perfectly, but I’m having an issue where the PipOS wants to crash every time it goes to load in the GPS. (I’m using Selectnone’s Raspipboy OS he developed back in 2013, and I’ve got it MOSTLY updated and running... I was planing on using the same method as you for the power button, as well. My MAIN concern (aside from the OS) is finding a screen that will fit properly.