An articulating mount for a Falcon?

Booyotch

Hey all,
I was searching the forum, trying to find some info on a sturdy articulating mount that I could put my custom 32" Falcon on. I found a few pics, but nothing explaining what they were or where to find them.

I'm just looking for something that I could attach to the bottom, some kind of ball-joint with a support rod.

Any ideas on where to look, or are all these kinds of things custom machined?

I know a lot of ppl use the Panavise Camera mounts.
657593.jpg
http://www.google.com/shopping/product/13561273987852350331?hl=en

I got something similar at Amazon in Germany that I will use for my Hasbro Falcon
http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00LL21BCM?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00

Say, how much does your MF weigh and what is it made of? Obviously, those are important when looking for something to hold it up. Plus, where will the mount attach? If straight up and down (like a stand) or off a vertical surface (wall mount) that is also a factor...

R/ Robert

Check out:

http://www.yetistand.com/

He's designed an awesome and secure customizable acrylic stand, originally for 1/60 Macross toys. However, he's branched out and has designed many custom adapters for it.
I don't have one (as they're a little pricey for me) but I understand that they can support a lot of weight. You could always message him with weight concerns, too.

My Hasbro Falcon is way to heavy for a "gooseneck" stand like that. Resin reinforcements and the Resin parts from RC plus the Mainframe and the cables/LED's I estimate 1-2 kg at least.

My Hasbro Falcon is way to heavy for a "gooseneck" stand like that. Resin reinforcements and the Resin parts from RC plus the Mainframe and the cables/LED's I estimate 1-2 kg at least.

They do make heavier more rigid goosenecks that can hold up to 50kg that are just as easy to bend and shape. You tighten up with a screw at the base and they hold that shape. I'm thinking more of the ones that hold the glass lamp shades. Those shade weigh close to 5lbs on their own. I think the Falcon wouldn't come close to that weight with all the resin pieces unless you put a steel reinforcement frame inside that made it weigh in the neighborhood of 25lbs.

Check out:

http://www.yetistand.com/

He's designed an awesome and secure customizable acrylic stand, originally for 1/60 Macross toys. However, he's branched out and has designed many custom adapters for it.
I don't have one (as they're a little pricey for me) but I understand that they can support a lot of weight. You could always message him with weight concerns, too.

Hello! This is my webstore you have linked. I would be more than happy to work with OP on a mount. Send me a message!

Hello! This is my webstore you have linked. I would be more than happy to work with OP on a mount. Send me a message!

There's a 28" Hasbro Falcon that is begging for a mount for it that will allow people to position it in various ways. What can you come up with to support it... it's a very large model.

There's a 28" Hasbro Falcon that is begging for a mount for it that will allow people to position it in various ways. What can you come up with to support it... it's a very large model.

Can you post a link to which one you are talking about? I see a "Rebels" branded one.

My stands hold up pretty well. I am down for making adapters for whatever customers request. If it is something I can get a hold of, I can make it work.

The hexagon base is 7" point to point and 9mm thick. Here are some larger items on the stands:

xkBK6Vw.jpg

uuYBOlb.jpg

AwLXC70.jpg

EWEkKR4.jpg

xjE2qmw.jpg

Some people get extra creative with the dual arms and extras:

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=41509&p=1184570

vqFlhqd.jpg

dLL1gBU.jpg

Hi Yeti,

Lrdsatry8 was speaking of this Hasbro Falcon, its 28 inch + around 2 -2.5 kg of electronic, lights, and resin upgrades added to it.

untitled.png

How much would a stand like this be? If it is with in my reach I would surely buy it.. your stands are Great!!

Yeah, that's just like mine. Big, heavy, and awesome. Yeti, your stands look great!

Off the top of my head, I would think a plate, properly sized to distribute the strain, and attaching to one of the flat areas of a the Falcon with 4 screws would work well, but the base plate on the table surface would have to be pretty big, since the stand can't attach to the center of the Falcon. It'd be a lot of weight, pivoting way off the center of gravity.

Here's a pic of the most logical place for the mount plate, devoid of electronics and flat. Although, again it'll have 6-8 lbs hanging off of it, plus if you wanted to to be able to pose banked, more shear force on the stand.

17187387042_44bec76ec0_s.jpg

Last edited:
I had a post answering questions, but it looks likes like a mod deleted it. Did I do something wrong? Those of you with questions, send me a pm and I will answer it there.

Hey, Yeti!

Good to see you over here too! (Kelsain @MW)
I love your stands, and figured these guys should see them too.
Someday when I have shelves again, I'll pick one up for myself!

Well sheit happens :) This is what happens when you get cheap stuff of ebay.
thumb_IMG_1835_1024.jpg
Thats the "ball joint" from my stand and if you look close the thread on the shaft is completely gone. The nut that came with it has a completely different thread to the shaft and the rest is as one says history. Now to plan B, have to go to my nearest hardware store in the morn and find a "large" screw that fits the socket of the ball joint and take it from there. I simply don't want to order a new stand and wait for a week or two...just want to get the darn Falcon finished :(

Oh well, somebody told me rule one when it comes to modeling is...PATIENCE!, and patience is a virtue and all that, well...I STILL WANT TO FINSH THIS BUILD NOW!!!! :p

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back