AMT Star Trek VI Battle Cruiser quick build

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveNeill

Sr Member
I've had this kit since I worked on the movie. Finally dug it out and it was still sealed.

I have some down time so I thought lets just do a quick and dirty general build. I started last night around 6 pm and put about 2 hours in on it and then spent 8 or so today getting as far as finished lighting and closing the model up. I even got the basic hull colors on.

Video tells all. Enjoy.

Steve

MOVIE D 7 part one - YouTube

Movie D-7 Part One Video

Very Cool.

I cut out the impulse engines on the one I started long ago.
Something I need to dig out and work on.

I don't know I could get more than 500 for it. i wonder if anyone would even pay that Lou. If I add a custom base maybe a bit more.

Steve

Hey, coincidence Steve, I have one coming that I bought on eBay! Great timing- this will come in handy SOON! Thanks!:thumbsup

Thanks Will I did have those. These are after the refit. the model was painted different and didn't have all the PE on it for the first movie. I'm doing somewhere in between just for fun.

Steve

Looking through all my reference images I have found pix of the smooth dome and detailed dome.

Screen caps from TMP show the detailed dome.
Any thoughts on the smooth dome?
Perhaps they added more detail for the final film or both where used in the opening scene?

If it looks half as good as that Polar Lights TOS E you did it will be a knock out! ;)
LOL, Steve, I *think* you're thinking of this awesome one Trekriffic just did:

IMG_1674.jpg

:):thumbsup

Looking through all my reference images I have found pix of the smooth dome and detailed dome.

Perhaps they added more detail for the final film or both where used in the opening scene?

I have several pictures of the studio model as well and there is not nearly as much detail on the bridge dome as is seen in the Motion Picture opening sequence. AMT must have based their version off of the model prior to the additional detailing. Even then, there are details AMT missed. Since Steve worked on this movie, he may have some insight. :confused

Nope guys I'm just making it simple. And yes they detailed the hell out of it for the next film(s).

I hope to offer built models for good prices on custom bases I make. All the extra's drive the time and the price up. If a customer wants one more detailed or more accurate then the price is more.

I have a K-7 that showed up today and I have plans to do that one too.

As for the TOS E lets face it not many you are going to pay 2500 for a built on and that's what I'm going to charge. the model is 140. the Bussards are 150. Materials, several weeks of work and I have to remove those damn grid lines. ;)

So I'm looking into the Revell of Germany models. Both the D-7 and the E. I can make quick work of those and still offer a lower price build.

These are just thoughts and ideas I kicking around to keep myself employed.

Steve

several weeks of work and I have to remove those damn grid lines. ;)
Join GLOP* now and fight for the future! YOU can change what's wrong!
Tell the powers that be what's WHAT! GLOP will improve life for us all!
Become a GLOP member today!

*the Grid Line Obliteration Project

Supported by Chrisisall, founding member & CEO of GLOP tm. Void where prohibited by law.

The models were built by Magicam, Apogee added extra detailing.

...As for the TOS E lets face it not many you are going to pay 2500 for a built on and that's what I'm going to charge. the model is 140. the Bussards are 150. Materials, several weeks of work and I have to remove those damn grid lines. ;)

So I'm looking into the Revell of Germany models. Both the D-7 and the E. I can make quick work of those and still offer a lower price build.

These are just thoughts and ideas I kicking around to keep myself employed.

Steve

I've seen pics of the RG kits. The E has heavy grid lines all over it, not just the saucer. The D7 isn't so bad, it looks like the one Greg Jein made for DS9.

If you want an E for a simple build, maybe the 22in cut-away kit would work. No grid lines, but the two piece cut-away hull needs to be glued together. But I've seen some great builds with this kit, and the size is nice too.

The Round 2 repop of the old AMT kit also has no grid lines. Lots of upgrade parts are available for both kits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back