AMT Slave One WIP

Discussion in 'General Modeling' started by Randy13, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Randy13

Randy13 Well-Known Member

I picked up this kit a long long time ago and I've decided to finaly give it a go.

[​IMG]

First thing I'll be doing is removing these raised panel lines.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I've started removing those and I don't like the round parts that the guns are mounted on. They seem too small for me.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm going to replace those with these little things that come out of the vending machines with the little toys in them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's a little too large so I'll be sanding these down before I glue them on.

2. youngwm

youngwm Active Member

Nice work so far!

3. Randy13

Thank you very much. The port side of this kit is a mirror image of the starboard side. But I’m going to remove about 90% of all the details and rebuild everything from scratch trying to get it as close as I can to the studio model.

4. METALLBOY

METALLBOY Well-Known Member

Nice this is my favorite model, Id like to see this project continue with more pics. Very interesting to see it modified.

5. Randy13

After some grinding, filing, scraping and sanding, I'm left with a nice blank slate. Next I'll pencil in the more accurate lines then scribe those in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had to putty up some little dings I made here and there.

6. GrahamT

GrahamT Member

I'm watching this with interest as I have an Airfix vrsion and a Fine molds.

7. Randy13

Thanks for the feedback guys. I’ve collected as many pictures as I could find online to help me with the details. I’ve started penciling in some of the panel lines. Once I get that done, I’ll dust it with a layer of Dullcote so I won’t smudge the lines while I’m scribing. I’ll post photos of the penciled lines once I have that done. Hopefully I can get that done tonight as long as I don’t have a busy “Honey-do” list when I get home from work.

8. Randy13

Here are some pictures of the panel lines penciled in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next comes the etching. Thanks for looking.

9. tek2graphics

tek2graphics Well-Known Member

Nice! Please let us know what tool you're going to use to etch/scribe.

10. Randy13

Thanks. I'll post pictures of the etch/scribe tools I'm using when I get home from work. There are two of them and the combination works great for me.

11. Randy13

Here's what I'm using to etch in the panels. Besides the metal straight edge, I use the orange plastic one to guide be around bends and the thin green one can be positioned into different shapes which helps with curves.
    [​IMG]

This top metal scribe pen I got from my dad a long time ago. He used it to scribe his name on his work tools. The bottom one is made for clay sculpting.
    [​IMG]

I first use the scribe pen to start off the etching. I go very light at first and follow up with a couple of more passes.
    [​IMG]

Then I follow the grooves with this tool which digs it out more.
    [​IMG]

This tool is great at removing styrene while the scribe pen just pushes it around. It might take longer than usual since I have to go over it twice but I like the results.
    [​IMG]

Here's what's left after a few passes of the clay carving tool.
    [​IMG]

So this is what I'll be doing for the next couple of nights or so.

12. clancampbell

clancampbell Sr Member

Good job so far! I find scribing to be a bit of a PITA.....

Rich

13. Chaank

Chaank Well-Known Member

This is going to be a great build. Nice work.

14. Scott Graham

Scott Graham Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

You seem to have scribing down very well, but I'd like to share a technique with you:

One of the ways I've always scribed was with a number 11 x-acto blade turned around backwards. Still use the pointy end, but backwards. It usually gives you a very good scribed line that way.

Just a thought if anyone wants to give it a try.

15. 3d-builder

3d-builder Sr Member

Thats the best way for me as well.
    I think this is a good little kit .......with mods and
    a good paint job she can really shine! Looking forward
    to watching the rest!:thumbsup

16. division 6

division 6 Master Member

Dymo tape (that plastic tape that makes raised letter labels) works well for straight lines even on curved surfaces.
    The stuff I picked up is clear and the backing is split down the middle so you can get twice as much use out of it.

17. Randy13

Thank you guys for the comments and suggestions. I’m going to try the good old #11 blade backwards. I once tried quite a while ago and didn’t get a feel for it. But I think now that I have some better building experience I should revisit this technique. You guys build some amazing stuff so if it works for you, then it can’t be wrong. Thanks Division 6 for the Dymo tape idea. That sounds like a foolproof way of getting around those curves. Thanks again for all the input.

18. Scott Graham

Scott Graham Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Careful with the #11 though. It could go deep enough to cut the piece.

19. division 6

division 6 Master Member

I use a #11 with a broken off tip, assorted dental and sculpting tools and a compass tip mounted in a metal tube.

20. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 Master Member

Or cut your fingers if/when it slips. Also, too much pressure will snap the tip of the blade right off, so multiple light passes are better than a few heavy passes. I've only used this method for scribing short lines, but I like the results.

21. METALLBOY

I like the update so much fun to look at. Great work.

22. Randy13

Thank you all very much for the great advice and input. From now on, I’ll be recommending the backward X-acto method of scribing. Once I got the hand of it, I was actually having fun. I was getting some nice tight lines and definitely going with a few light passes, especially at first. I ended up going to bed way too late because my mind was stuck in a scribing zone. I got a lot of it done but still have a little bit more to do and then I’ll start adding the raised details and I’m really looking forward to this challenge. I’ll also be trying something different with this model kit in how it will be displayed but I’ll get to that later because I still have to do some planning on that (and determine if it’s something I’m capable of doing). I’ve taken more progress pictures METALLBOY. I’ll try and get these posted tonight. Thanks for looking!

23. Randy13

I wanted to throw these pictures in of the hull before I started scribing this part.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here's where I'm at so far after the scribing. There are some areas I need to clean up but I'll do that later after all of the details are added.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I already see a coulpe of areas I'll have to correct. I was going to let it go but I know it will end up bothering me if I don't fix it.

24. clancampbell

clancampbell Sr Member

Really nice job!

Rich

25. masterjedi322

masterjedi322 Sr Member

That looks awesome! I'm doing an FM build of Slave I, so I look forward to seeing what you do with your painting!

Sean

26. Randy13

Thanks Rich and Sean. I haven’t seen the FM Slave 1 kit up close but from what I can tell it’s got a lot more accurate details than the old AMT one not to mention a better looking Boba Fett. Painting this will be quite a challenge for me. I will want to make sure I get all the chips and scratches right (if I’m a little off I can live with that) but more importantly for me is to get the right shade of colors down. Thanks for looking.

27. Randy13

Here's a little step-by-step on attaching this strip of styrene around this bend by gluing a little at a time.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. Randy13

But wait...there's more. I did quite a bit of scratch building here. I'll let the pictures speak for themselves.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And then onto the ship it goes with more sctrach built pieces.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And then a few more bits here and there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking.

29. METALLBOY

Its coming along nice, the detail work you are adding is making a big difference . I own one of these ERTL Slave 1 plus a half built version of the finemolds. I am patiently waiting to see one day Slave 1's definitive interior somewhere in the CW series so I can customize it with holding cells as well. Are you going to keep the original rotating cockpit it came with or are you going for the ILM version type?

30. Randy13

Thank you Metallboy. I want to redo the cockpit to match the studio model and try to add some red lighting on the control panels. What I also plan to do with this is display the Slave 1 in landing position but I want to open the boarding ramp and build a cargo area similar to what’s seen in AOTC but include Boba and HIC in the display. After I finish most of the exterior details, I’ll start working on the interior.

31. 3d-builder

3d-builder Sr Member

looking good it will pop once you prime it!:thumbsup

32. Randy13

Thanks 3d-builder. I love what you have done to the old Snow Speeder kit. I know my improvements won’t be as good as that but I am looking forward to priming this thing and seeing how it all comes together.

33. METALLBOY

The ramp scene in AOTC is a great idea its exactly what I did to my finemolds it also has the interior panels of the ship along with all the greeblies added to it. The ramp will open with fiber optics added to lightly illuminate the walkway. Oh and yes love to see your Slave 1 with primer.

34. Randy13

At first I was thinking of replicating the classic scene in ESB when HIC is being loaded into the Slave 1. Since there is no shot of the interior of the cargo hold, I could loosely base it on what little we can see in AOTC. Then I thought about having to build the cloud city landing platform and sculpting a tiny stormtrooper and officer and not sure that’s something I can do. I’m now more thinking of creating a display that shows the Slave 1 landing on Tatooine to deliver HIC to Jabba. Upon his arrival on Tattooine, wouldn’t it be a strange coincidence if Boba happened to land in docking bay 94? Just a thought for now.

35. division 6

division 6 Master Member

Something like this.

36. METALLBOY

Division 6 now those are awesome pics , I guess we are not the only ones thinking this way about the Slave 1 built. and Randy 13 yes if you would zoom in frame by frame during the AOTC scenes where they show the Slave 1 interior you can come up with nice details of the interior. However I must warn you the ERTL interior is very small to work with. I have been searching endlessly for photo etched cockpit greeblies for the finemolds and in all scales and all types amazing with what you can rig up? Great job keep em coming ..:thumbsup

37. JP Modelworks

JP Modelworks Active Member

Looks great! Love the new scribed detail!

38. Randy13

Thank you guys for your input and feedback. Division 6, thank you for that link. That’s a very nice display and the other builds on that page look great too. I have gone frame by frame over those AOTC scenes and when I get to that point of the build, I’ll be really studying that part. I’m going to try and scratch build as much as I can of the cargo area but I’m also going to put in my own interpretation simply because I want to have fun creating my own details in there. I know in the expanded universe of the Slave 1 it has changed hands a couple of times before Boba got it back in ESB. That will be my excuse to add my own details because I’ll assume the other “temporary owners” of the Slave 1 had made their own modifications. I have more pix to upload but wasn’t able to do that last night. Gotta make time for that tonight.

39. Captain Han Solo

Captain Han Solo Sr Member

Really fine work Sir..Outstanding!

It's nice to see more modelers work on these old MPC kits!

40. Randy13

Thank you very much Capitan Solo. You work on the MF is breathtaking and those landing gears are awesome!

Here are some updates I've been working on the last few days. I'm taking the build kind of slow and just enjoying every minute of it. Any critiques and criticisms are more than welcome.

These were taken a little earlier.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More recent pictures with more details added to the starbord side.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not 100% accurate but close enough for me. If anyone spots some important details I may have missed, please let me know. Thanks for looking.

41. tek2graphics

tek2graphics Well-Known Member

You've done a beautiful job so far!
    The only thing i would critique, would be the "car seat" part you used. For some reason it doesn't look "functional". I would use some kind of piping instead. ? Just my opinion. :unsure

42. Randy13

Thank you and thanks for the suggestion. I couldn't find a clear close-up of that part and couldn't quite tell what was going on there so I was looking for something that was relatively close. I didn't even think of using something simpler like piping. :behave

43. Jaitea

Jaitea Master Member

44. METALLBOY

Randy13 , Here we go, this is my idealistic version of the slave 1 so far? Although like you have mentioned in the above thread the ship has had modifications throughout the SW universe and their is very little knowledge of the cargo hold ? it varies very differrently in details and interior space from the 3D crossection book ,comics and CW as well. Now to get you a little more inspired, here are a few sample pics of the details I have gathered from freeze framing and zooming in the AOTC scenes. Oh one last thing the cockpit Im still debating on, I m either gonna make it rotate as you can see on the first pic or I might just keep the modified ERTL cockpit(2nd pic) wich is a smaller scale but fits well .

Last edited: May 12, 2012
  45. Randy13

Thank you for sharing these pics Metallboy. What you've done to the cargo hold looks very nice, busy and functional. I also love the modifications you've don't to the cockpit. Both of them look great. These are giving me all kinds of ideas now. Also, I haven't even considered the SW comics as a source for Slave 1 interior details.

46. Plugz

Plugz New Member

The interior has always been left to the imagination, though I remember the StarWars Insider putting out a Boba Fett magazine years ago that had the interior of the Slave I mapped out. Which was taken from the StarWars incredible cross sections. Star Wars books - Slave I Cutaway- Dorling Kindersley

So far so good. I cant wait to see it finished.

47. Alaneye

Alaneye Well-Known Member

I love seeing this kind of build up. Looking great so far.

Al

48. Randy13

Thank you guys.:thumbsup Not much to report today because of a busy weekend. Today I’ll be going to the LHS to get some stuff for the build. Thanks for the link Plugs. I love that cross section and seeing that makes me with I could build a replica of that artwork. I still have more to do on the exterior before I start the challenging(but fun) interior. I’ll also need to keep in mind how I want to light the inside of this thing.

49. YamahaGTS

YamahaGTS New Member

Cool build. All of the detail and scribing is incredible!

50. METALLBOY

Randy ? Randy?.... anymore updates:cool...