Amount of Silicone for Molding Vader Dome

Discussion in 'Sculpture and Makeup Effects' started by Celtic007, Sep 11, 2015.

1. Celtic007

Celtic007 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I am doing a lot of modifications to my Rubies Vader dome and I would like to be able to mold the helmet so I have one piece instead of plastic, body filler, and fiberglass.

The only think I'm unsure of is the amount of silicone needed. The trial sizes from Smooth On are only $30 and the only other option is the gallon which is $183. If I can use like two trial sizes I think I might give this a shot. So, would that size work for a Vader dome?

Thanks

Also, if this isn't the proper forum, sorry, I thought it would go here due to the relation to sculpting and mold making.

2. zorg

zorg Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

is it for just one casting?

you could probably get away with very little silicone.

or you could use fiberglass as the mold with suitable release agents of course.

a vader helmet is a pretty basic shape with no major detail.

3. Celtic007

Celtic007 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I would like to be able to re use it and make future castings if needed, with a whole mother shell jacket and everything.

I just know its a pretty big surface and want enough silicone to cover it thick enough.

4. PoopaPapaPalps

PoopaPapaPalps Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I would go with 2 or 3 sets of the trial unit if you want to do a brush-on mold. I'd also recommend getting their Thi-Vex thickener to not only speed up curing, but it helps save silicone (makes it less runny depending on how much thickening agent you use).