Amazon's The Expanse

I loved it. This entire season has been top notch, IMO.

My only complaint was that English subtitles weren't available initially and I know I missed a lot of the dialogue because of the differences in volume between dialogue and action pieces. It just means I'll have to watch it again today, which I'll not complain about.

As someone who is up to date with the books, it was amazing seeing how they played some of this stuff out and I am SO excited for next season and to see what comes after. I know season 6 is the last at Amazon, but the authors and the showrunner have both said that season 6 will not be the end of the story, so they've clearly got SOMETHING up their collective sleeve.

My only complaint was that English subtitles weren't available initially and I know I missed a lot of the dialogue because of the differences in volume between dialogue and action pieces. It just means I'll have to watch it again today, which I'll not complain about.

As someone who is up to date with the books, it was amazing seeing how they played some of this stuff out and I am SO excited for next season and to see what comes after. I know season 6 is the last at Amazon, but the authors and the showrunner have both said that season 6 will not be the end of the story, so they've clearly got SOMETHING up their collective sleeve.
:lol: The subtitle thing was so annoying, I spent ages trying to sort it out as I thought I was doing it wrong! Pity 'that' death was so anticlimatic, but I know it was out of their hands.

and I also realize, I have 'Rocinante hair' after this season (and the past year) - almost like being in space...unless you get to the best barber in the system, as one character apparently has ;)

My only complaint was that English subtitles weren't available initially and I know I missed a lot of the dialogue because of the differences in volume between
Amazon is definitely not the best when it comes to subtitles. But they're better than whoever did the subtitles for the Ghibli stuff on HBO Max. They're too small and light in color so they get lost in lighter scenes. At least Amazon's are always legible.

Agreed about "that" death. I thought there would be more of a sendoff, but under the circumstances it was handled as good as can be expected. I didn't know that there were plans beyond season 6. I'm excited about the idea because there is still a lot of ground to cover! I just hope they don't try for the 30 year time jump. I didn't like it in the books at all...

I'm still not sure I completely understand why Naomi was scratching the hashmarks into the bulkhead on the Chetzemoka- was she doing it to keep track of how much CO2 she was breathing?

I wasn't sure about that either - my guess was that the CO2 was effecting her brain/memory, so she needed to keep a tally of how many times she'd been in - so yeah pretty much.

I wasn't sure about that either - my guess was that the CO2 was effecting her brain/memory, so she needed to keep a tally of how many times she'd been in - so yeah pretty much.

Yup. A bit of a sanity check too. Also a thematic callback to all those prison time and Prisoner of war movies. The ship was her prison and she was trying to escape.

I'm still not sure I completely understand why Naomi was scratching the hashmarks into the bulkhead on the Chetzemoka- was she doing it to keep track of how much CO2 she was breathing?
I watched a video that talked a bit about this and what they said was that it was keep track of the number of times she went through that airlock, The reason being that the ship had no active life support/O2 generation, so every time she went through that airlock meant that she lost a little bit of air in the main compartment.

I watched a video that talked a bit about this and what they said was that it was keep track of the number of times she went through that airlock, The reason being that the ship had no active life support/O2 generation, so every time she went through that airlock meant that she lost a little bit of air in the main compartment.
Ah, OK - that makes sense. Thanks for that. (y)

I also found myself wondering why the ship even had life support, since it was rigged to be autonomous - makes sense that what little air remained was in short supply.

Well, yeah, that was fairly anti-climactic as a whole. I have to go back and rewatch it all. I will say I do not enjoy the show weekly as much as I do binge watching it. I felt like maybe they didn't actually have 10 episodes worth of content and they stretched maybe 6 episodes worth of stuff out as thinly as they possibly could. Which would be understandable given the circumstances. I have not read the books, so I'm probably way off base. Maybe this book in the series was like this too. Just felt off, and drawn out. I still enjoyed the season though. I am going to miss this show when it is gone.

I agree, I have to binge watch it as well from start to finish for this season, with some series (Umbrella Academy comes to mind) I think this is really how you should experience it. still i think it was well produced and casted

So Amos and crew are trying to blast off Earth on Mao’s shuttle and a local rent-a-cop/militia assaults them? Didn’t make sense why they would risk the assault, made more sense to let them escape than take their leftover provisions....

Was the book like this? Or drama for the show?

So Amos and crew are trying to blast off Earth on Mao’s shuttle and a local rent-a-cop/militia assaults them? Didn’t make sense why they would risk the assault, made more sense to let them escape than take their leftover provisions....

Was the book like this? Or drama for the show?
I don't remember if this was in the book or not, but I think that maybe the rent-a-cops wanted the shuttle for themselves for the same reason as Amos & gang, to get off of Earth and to the Moon.

I don't think the mercenaries knew about the shuttle. Amos' crew were in a no-win situation. They couldn't give away the supplies since they didn't know until the last minute if they could get it working.

I enjoyed this season a lot more than the last (which was still better than the book it was adapted from ). I think Seasons 1-3 really pushed the boundaries of hard scifi on TV while developing all the characters equally. Season 5 seemed like more standard action space opera stuff and only really developed Naomi. Amazon have cut the season runs by three episodes, with shorter episodes, which shows. The earlier seasons actually expanded the book material significantly. I would have liked to see elements of the novella The Churn adapted into the season, as it feeds directly into Amos' arc. Sill the best sci-fi on TV 'tho.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back