Amazon's The Expanse

While your face would probably be okay for a few moments exposed to vacuum and extreme cold, assuming the air-tightness of the suit works as a system, not separate components, you'd evacuate the whole thing, exposing your body to rapid pressure change, which would cause air embolisms in your blood stream. You'd get the bends and need to be put into a hyperbaric chamber to recuperate.

I know this thread is about the TV show, but I was wondering if anyone else picked up the latest book yet? It is fantastic! I know the authors are winding this series up, but I can't help but think how many more stories they could tell. This is easily my most favorite book series ever.

After reading one and a half books, I thought the TV series was actually better and fleshed out the characters more.

I know this thread is about the TV show, but I was wondering if anyone else picked up the latest book yet? It is fantastic! I know the authors are winding this series up, but I can't help but think how many more stories they could tell. This is easily my most favorite book series ever.
I'm picking it up when I get paid on Friday!

After reading one and a half books, I thought the TV series was actually better and fleshed out the characters more.

I thought the first episode of the show was hard to sit through. As a matter of fact, I didn't read the first book until after I dismissed the show of being too boring. The first book was a little dry, but the characters got to me. I blasted through the rest of the series, then went back to watch the show. I think the series does a good job (although I think the character of Holden was miscast) but the books are amazing.

It took me seeing the potential in the show but not really “getting it” to motivate me to read the books. After I did I was able to pick the show back up and stick with it. I think some things are lost to the adaptation but the actors have made the characters their own so I don’t fault them for it at this point

Okay, I just finished the latest book. Holy... crap... you guys. I can't WAIT for the show to get to this point in the story. It's gonna be EPIC

We also got a new teaser:

If anyone wants to make a name plaque, I would definitely be interested!
5qWzJ_y_ahqvhTZXIiYnGg2ti8E&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.jpg

It's time to resurrect this thread for one of the best TV series out there at the moment! I just finished up season 4 and I'm stoked for more of this product. Season 4 was a little slow going at first but it quickly picked up momentum once it got started. I love the character of Bobbie Draper and it was a sad seeing her go through difficulties adjusting to normal life in this season. But her arc is definitely building towards something big with how the season ended. So I'm excited to see where she goes in season 5.

Murtry. You just have to hate that guy. The Roci crew were all great as usual. Avasarala was great also. She cursed like a sailor.

I've been loving this series so much, that I'm considering reading the books.

It's time to resurrect this thread for one of the best TV series out there at the moment! I just finished up season 4 and I'm stoked for more of this product. Season 4 was a little slow going at first but it quickly picked up momentum once it got started. I love the character of Bobbie Draper and it was a sad seeing her go through difficulties adjusting to normal life in this season. But her arc is definitely building towards something big with how the season ended. So I'm excited to see where she goes in season 5.

Murtry. You just have to hate that guy. The Roci crew were all great as usual. Avasarala was great also. She cursed like a sailor.

I've been loving this series so much, that I'm considering reading the books.

I highly recommend the books. Some of the elements of the show are different, but it does a good job of hewing to the major points of the novels. Also, as much as I love the series, I didn't really start to be able to attach names to characters (especially the main crew for some reason) until I fell in love with them from the books.

I love the character of Bobbie Draper and it was a sad seeing her go through difficulties adjusting to normal life in this season. But her arc is definitely building towards something big with how the season ended. So I'm excited to see where she goes in season 5.

If you liked where they went with Bobby this season then you'll love with where they eventually go with her, assuming, that is, they follow her story arc from the books.

I tried to get started with the Expanse a few years ago, but the first episode didn't really set the hook. Recently my wife and I started binging it, and we're now about halfway through season 4, and we LOVE it! Best series since the BSG redux.

I'm glad to hear season 4 gets better. The first few episodes have been a little disappointing, not that they're bad, but because the rest has been so fantastic!

Cibola Burn, the novel that Season 4 was based on, is generally regarded as the weakest of the novels. The new characters are largeley flatly drawn, with Murtry given no development or motivation beyond 'mustasche twiddling bad guy'.

I think the TV show adapted it into something that far exceeds the novel. The Ilus plotline (which is the whole of the novel) was given a lot more pace, devlopment of Miller's 'Investigator' character, Amos' relationship with Wei (another cipher in the novel) and at least Murtry is seen to be disillusioned with his progess in RCE, and a profiteer. The effects of gravity on Naomi were also well portrayed in 'show not tell' the Belter's problems at the bottom of a planetary gravity well. In the book she stays on the Rocinante.

Of course we also got all of the other good stuff with Bobby (partly adapted from the novella Gods of Risk), Avasarala's political struggles and Drummer & Ashton's conflict with Marcos Inaros (brought forward from the next novel Nemesis Games.)

For me, the show frequently improves on the books (Drummer & Ashton are both minor characters who don't much resemble their TV counterparts. At this stage (S4) Drummer hasn't even been introduced in the novels.)

I was really worried about S4, given the weakness of the book, but though it's still probably my least favourite season, I think they knocked it out of the park considering the source material.

Last edited:
I just finished season 4 finally, I think it has some of the best content in the whole series so far. I do feel like some of the “breaking physics” stuff could feel redundant for someone coming straight from season 3 where that was such a big plot point, but overall I think it was a great adaptation of a book people are divided on. I really appreciate the look of the Illus ruins, much more Geiger-esque like I imagine when reading the series. Love Ashford in this season too, and of course all the other leads are great.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back