Amazon's The Expanse

I see influence from Firefly and 2001 to be a bit overwelming at times but I like the series props actors etc. Good show.

I don't remember much, if anything, reminding me of Firefly, part of why I enjoy it (I like firefly, but I don't need another show trying to be firefly-2.0).

What gave you that vibe?

I don't remember much, if anything, reminding me of Firefly, part of why I enjoy it (I like firefly, but I don't need another show trying to be firefly-2.0).

What gave you that vibe?
The scene where Jim connects to the alien "sphere" was very much like 2001 starchild sequence and Amos is very similar to Jayne in thought and action, even had a vera with him in the next to last episode.

So exciting to see the show advertised on the front page of Amazon video, especially with the tag line “saved by the fans, time to save the universe”

Since Feb 8 it's avaiable on Prime. Wanted to watch Season 3 but started all over again. I don't know the books (yet) but I really love the show. Some of the best SciFi ever.

It's starting to really differ from the books this season, not drastically but defnitely some differences. Main differences are in characters and their roles but all of the main plot points from the books are there though.

It's starting to really differ from the books this season, not drastically but defnitely some differences. Main differences are in characters and their roles but all of the main plot points from the books are there though.

Eh, it's always been slightly different from the books, from eliminating the Sam character in season 1 to combining Bull and Ashford in Season 3. The most important thing to me is that they have maintained the integrity of the story and kept the feel of it intact.

Ok, general question from Season 1or 2.

There was a scene from a Belter and his son doing a Spacewalk for some salvage work. At one point, if my memory is correct, the old man opens his facemask for a couple seconds in the vacuum of space to pick his nose.... Then seals it back down and gets back to work.

Did I imagine this or did they do this purposefully to illustrate a Belter's adaptation?

While I don't remember the scene, as long as you're not concerned with how much air you're going to waste, you can open your face to putterouter just fine (well, to a vacuum is fine. Catch some solar radiation while you're doing it and you're literally toast)

While I don't remember the scene, as long as you're not concerned with how much air you're going to waste, you can open your face to putterouter just fine (well, to a vacuum is fine. Catch some solar radiation while you're doing it and you're literally toast)

But only for a very short while and you have to make sure there's no air in your lungs while you do it too. But it's generally considered to be a bad idea to do so, Belter or not. Belters aren't so much adapted to living in space so much as being used to living and working in low to 0G environments but there's nothing about them that really makes especially adapted to living in space. The only thing that's really changed about them, aside from certain physical characteristics resulting from growing up in low to 0G environments is that most can no longer live in a full 1G gravity well like Earth.

Yeah, you would be wasting air inside your suit as it explodes out. I Imagine a quick vacuum and re- pressurization would be at minimum unpleasant and likely dangerous.

I picked up the blu ray for season three in the UK , which was region free, from Music Magpie. ******** love it, its simply the best hard sci fi series I ever watched and its pretty damn close to the books, if a little stream lined like Game of Thrones. Bobbie Drapper ,Avasarala and Amos steal almost every scene they are in , they are just great characters. And the ships !!! The designs and VFX are just outstanding.

Last edited:
I picked up the blu ray for season three in the UK , which was region free, from Music Magpie. ******** love it, its simply the best hard sci fi series I ever watched and its pretty damn close to the books, if a little stream lined like Game of Thrones. Bobbie Drapper ,Alvasarla and Amos steal almost every scene they are in , they are just great characters. And the ships !!! The designs and VFX are just outstanding.

Bobbie and Avasarala are my two favorite characters as well with Amos in a close third. I particularly like Avasarala and her no nonsense ways and her swearing. Shohreh Aghdashloo really nails it as Avasarala and I really can't imagine anybody else playing her.

I just finished S3 a few days ago and now I can't wait until S4 airs, this next story arc is going to be good and I'm really going to enjoy seeing Bobby and Clarissa next season, assuming that I'm not thinking too far ahead. At this point I can't remember what happened in what book, just the overall plot points from all of the books combined.

…At one point, if my memory is correct, the old man opens his facemask for a couple seconds in the vacuum of space to pick his nose.... Then seals it back down and gets back to work.

Did I imagine this …?
I don’t remember that. I would’ve laughed out loud as so much is plausibly presented throughout the series.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back