Am I the only one that thinks Return of the Jedi is a turkey?

Harrison Ford was barely in character in ROTJ. Over the years he's pretty hostile when asked about Han Solo. There was a change in his attitude between TESB and ROTJ.

Even in ESB, he seemed somewhat limp and pathetic. It was like they'd established a basic character in ANH with the promise of something much cooler to come and then couldn't be arsed to try.

The more I watch the 'tension' scenes between him and Leia, the more he seems like a teenage boy and the more they both appear to be merely actors going through their lines. Mark Hamil is one of the few whose performances I still enjoy, to the point where I reckon where his line delivery is a bit pants, those are the lines Lucas specifically wrote.

He was better in The Big Red One, though and I still enjoy Slipstream!

I've always thought that ROTJ was the weakest of the 3, but had some of the strongest scenes.

I was nearly 16 when i saw Jedi, you can imagine my horror at Ewoks and all the Muppets.

The DS battle, Saber fight and all the Emperor/Vader/Luke stuff made up for it though.

Rich

Child = :cry. Even now, several more viewings later, he refuses to wach that scene or the funeral, but that sacrifice to try and make ammends despite the cost was the most important thing he took away from the film, so we're not talking about "kids are dumb" as to why he loved the movie. Anyways, just a couple of thoughts...

I was eight when I saw "Jedi" on opening day, and no-one knew that was coming. I reacted much the same way as your son. Thanks for the perspective.

ANH and ESB are the only ones I can actually still watch.....over and over mind you!!

Maybe someone can edit ROTJ down to only the good parts and we can enjoy that 30 minute movie instead!!! Any one capable of this......!!????

:lol

I don't hate Jedi. There is some real potential hidden beneath all the Lucas fluff, and it does have it's moments. But, as I grew older and watched Jedi, it always had the feel of a movie that didn't know quite where to go and so simply cobbled together set-pieces and rehashed ideas from the previous films.

A few years ago when I read Kurtz's interview about Jedi, sooooo many questions were answered when he spoke about what the film was originally inteneded to be, versus what it turned out to be. Also, hearing his take on Lucas's reaction to Empire and complaining that it didn't need to be that good, was beyond illuminating. I'd love to see the movie that he described. It was darker, more mature, and would have elevated the mythos, at least for me. But, it is what it is. A bored Lucas and a waning franchise.

Re: I'm I the only one that thinks Return of the Jedi is a turkey?

ANH is my favorite over ESB.

I completely agree. Although the special effects and scope of ESB was a huge improvement, the ground had been broken with Star Wars. Up until that point nothing like it had been seen before.

As for ROTJ it was alright, although a bit corny.

Robert

Too cutesy pie. It seems like all 3rd movies do that. Let's Get Cute!!!

Think of the Stormtroopers busting into the Blockade Runner and quickly whipping the trained rebels. Deadly guys.
Then they get wupped by some teddy bears with sticks.

My biggest problem with Jedi hasn't always been the Ewoks so much as the writing and dialogue....Man, it's atrocious!!! In SW and ESB people actually talked like people(maybe except Yoda), by Jedi it's like everyone is speaking Shakespearian or something. Everything is so proper in the dialect. No one talks like that!!!

I remember the taking my older brother to see Jedi back in 83. I had already seen it twice. I made sure to COUGH everytime the dialogue went corny so he couldn't hear it and rag me about it.

And it then carried over to the prequals. Just awful. Feels more like a play than a movie.

Imperial forces being flummoxed by primatives doesn't bother me (see Zulus vs. British Army), but he should've stuck with making them Wookiees.

IDK. ROTJ was the only one I sat in line for on opening day. I was very young.

I loved it.

Still do.

The Ewoks did NOT beat the empire.

I didn't think they did when I was 7. I still don't.

They were an annoying diversion.

Han took out the shield generator.

Lando, Nien Nunb, Wedge and co took out the death star.

The rebels took out the executioner.

Luke turned Vader back to Anakin.

Vader killed the emporer.

There HAD to be cutsie poo moments. The rest was pretty dark!

When I was a kid seeing R2 and 3PO enter Jabbas was WAY darker and scarier than ANYTHING in ESB. ESB was sad. ANH was kinda dark. ROTJ was a mix of the 2 with a touch of silly jokes and cute furballs thrown in.

Speederbikes? One of the coolest things in SW.

Slave Leia?

Vader taking his mask off?

Getting to SEE the emporer and where he dwells (still love the design)

The largest space battle and the closest thing we get to seeing a "war" in "Star Wars".

Did you guys not see the same movie I did?

Least favorite of the 3, but LIGHTYEARS better than any PT movie.

Sometimes I wish this thread would go away. The only thing that CUTSIE POO SUCKS ASS in ROTJ? "Jedi rocks" Which is actually the worst moment in all 6 movies. Totally takes you out of the dark spooky jabba environment and throws you into the Muppet Show! :sick

I like Jedi, but even as a kid I felt I saw the first half of episode 6(up unil they leave Tatooine) and the last half of episode 7 or later episode. I've never hate the ewoks or how it all turned out, just felt there was 2 hours of story missing in there.

And to be nitpicky- I've always hated R2's voice in Jedi. He sounds different from the other films. And have always hated how C-3po's guts were too nice.

Boba Fett never died at the hands(or mouth) of the sarlaac as a matter of fact he resurrected the Mandalorians and became Mandalore many years later

You would have to have a pretty hard heart to actually hate Jedi when it originally came out. Everytime I went to see it (which I think was about four times) everyone in the cinema lines were in high spirits and cheered in certain places in the film, which was unusual for a British crowd. At the end there was an almighty applause from everyone and I was not disappointed with it over all and left quite happy.
There were some fantastic scenes in it that I had to see several times, the speeder bike sequence, the moment when the rebel ships run into the Imperial fleet and the Jabbas Sailbarge fight absolutely floored me.
I was disappointed in the second Death Star as I always thought the next Rebel Attack (had I plannned it and not Admiral Ackbar) would have been the Imperial fleet shipyards and bases. I'll be honest, I wanted Solo and the Falcon to go up in a blase of glory, to make the fight seem worth it, much like Harrison.
And even my girlfriend ,who really liked the Ewoks, though I pointed out they were actually small ,carnivorous teddy bears quite prepared to roast you alive over a fire for supper if they did not really like you (and I dread to think what was really served at the celebration parties in the villages at the end , I mean you didn't SEE any imperial bodies left lying around did you,just the armour) , asked me what happened to all those Imperial Star Destroyers that appeared to out number the Rebels about twenty to one.
But this was only after we had thought about it. At the time we left on a high and had a great meal afterwards. Yes in repect you can see HOW different the direction and editting was in this film and it is the weakest of the lot, but, and its a big BUT give me any example of a sci fi space opera in the last few decades that comes even close to being so impressive and enjoyable?
Incidently, coming from the time when cinemas showed TWO films at a performance, has anyone ever seen the computer animation of the history of the world short that was shown with Jedi in the UK around because I'd really like to see it again. So can anyone help me with that?

I know I'm gonna get hung but.....

Going back as an adult and watching the whole smear over I can tell you I don't really care for any of them,let me say why:

One (or four if you will) okay basically we start out on a desert planet,find the hero,go to a space station,rescue a princess,then blow up the bad guys-the end.

Two we have an attack on a secret base,try to escape the bad guys,while the hero goes and trains at some uber wise man's,then the hero goes to rescue his friends and finds out the horrible truth:the villain is daddy! oh teh noes!! then one of his pals gets caught and is spirited away,cue the next episode!

Three everybody goes to rescue their dear friend and kick some slug's butt (literally) then they boogy over to some backwater world to hand the villains crew their respective behinds,while the hero goes to confront daddy,and the director/creator decides to act like he overdosed at Jim Henson's place and throw in living teddy bears and other muppets for a taste of the future.

My problem is it's too much like any damn hero reel film since day one of the world of film.

I really prefer a movie that makes you go "hrm! WTF just happened?",so while I don't hate SW I must admit I'd rather watch something like Blade Runner overall.

However,yea ROJ was a bit of a flop compared to the first two but I think we got a bit of a preview of what Mr.Lucas had in store for us....once film tech was ready for him to make the horrible set of movies he originally had in mind (though I will admit to liking parts of Ep II and III)

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back