Alu-mini-um Captain America shield build (update 10.5.11 DONE ! PICS GALORE ! )

Mr.Spider

Sr Member
Alrighty then, Having obtained one of Chris's AMAZING shields ( http://www.therpf.com/f9/captain-america-shield-119947/ ) , I have though very long and hard ( gigity ) about how to tackle this project.
( Star is not glued yet )

I have decided, to finish it using a mixture of practicality and movie likeness.

Basically, while it will have the overall look and feel of the movie shield, I will go with a hard mount handle, ( for better control ) while the arm strap will still be made in leather, using a double wrap velcro method that easily loosens and tightens.

so......... where to begin ? , I guess we start with the shield itself........

ae725b36.jpg

In order to get the strap brackets where I needed them I had to make a template.... luckily going over the screen caps, it seems Cap's brackets meausre up with the rings on the backside...so using that as a ref point and paper the same width as my aluminum, I set off..............

9a9335e7.jpg

Keep in mind the movie shields brackets are offset too , to allow for a centered position when held next to the body... ok, moving on.......

ec50f52c.jpg

After reaching this point, I cut away my excess to reveal the overall bracket shape... at this point it was a simple matter of reversing the template, and moving them up or down, to adjust for my arm length.

55ad513c.jpg

I even sketched out a template for a strap addition for the corner.

6b6261f7-1.jpg

after this I mocked up a handle using some cardboard, and knowing that I was adding a 1' split dowel to the handle, I kept the handle up far enough for clearance of my hand against the actual shield.

3829b818.jpg

Well..... that about does it for now, tomorrow I hope to have the metal cut and shaped and get a dry fit going............. still trying to source some nice cheap--ish leather for the straps.

So, thanks for looking, questions , comments welcome, and as usual insults will have to be written in triplicate, sent in, sent back, lost, found, queried, subjected to public inquiry, lost again, and finally buried in soft peat for three months and recycled as firelighter.

- Nick

Last edited:
Re: "What do you think ?..... " I think it works. " ( Alu-mini-um Cap Shield )

Great work so far!!! Looking forward to seeing this completed!! Any plan on what type of paint you are going to use?

Also sent a PM.

:)

Re: Alu-mini-um Captain America shield build

Alright, well, between the rain I managed to get some metal cut and bent. I haven't thought much about paint, I know Duplicolor and Krylon have a good anodized spray I am looking into trying as an option.

These pieces still need tweaking, fitting, and more work to incorporate the straps.

93beca21.jpg

12586b7a.jpg

Updates to follow..... and for kicks, here is a picture of some Butter-beer cupcakes, and now you are hungry, you're welcome.

8bcbeb97.jpg

Great work on the shield, and those butterbeer cupcakes look delicious! I made some a while back... and they are so good!

Mmm butter beer... now I want to go back to WWoHP.

And the shield is looking great!

butter beer is a fictional drink from the Harry Potter universe, and damn tasty too, sold at Wizarding world of Harry Potter at Islands of adventure, the cupcakes are a recips based on the drink sold at IOA

Just got some new parts yesterday. I should have some time to work on it on saturday

That looks great!

Oh, and the shield is pretty nice too. :p Looking awesome.

thanks for the kind words guys, sadly I have not had much time to work on it, I have a day off work on monday, I hope to have the rest of the brackets and metal finished then, so that it's only assembly from then on.

Alright I finally finished a part of something, I'm on a roll. After this it's paint time...sometime next week.... but I'm getting ahead of myself, Ok, so for todays update we have the straps finally finished,....with a little tweaking to the handle grip for comfort.

alright so first here you can see the layout of the extra brackets for the strap...just finishing placing with the painter tape.

0522f525-1.jpg

So after that , I drilled the holes for the handle, and bolted it on, then I epoxied the brackets on the shield with metal epoxy and topped it off with some steel epoxy putty, after that..... I took 2 days off lol.

3cad77db-1-1.jpg

So now that I have the handle on on side I need the arm strap, so I move on replicating the same brackets as on the handle side, and after finding some nice colored belts from goodwill, I had my straps.....and of course some hardware form ace....not screen accurate, but good for my purposes.

So after drilling and cutting and filing... by the way ... love a good squared off metal file. I was able to get a nice fit overall and then it was just a matter of cutting the belt up, sealing the underside edges with super glue and bolting them on until I had a good fit. I do still need to wrap the handle grip in brown material to match the rest, but I'll worry about that later. OK ENOUGH TALKING.................. PICS !!!!!!!!!!

e18e5cac.jpg

db604925.jpg

I should mention this strap is adjustable, so that I can pull it over my shoulder when I don't feel like carrying it on my arm.

......................and here is my younger brother standing in for a hand model lol

8663587d.jpg

..........oh and I should mention i still need to drill the " rivet " details ........and so after this the next step is paint of course and then........if I can manage the rest of the Avengers suit...but that's another thread, for another time.

Last edited:
Re: Alu-mini-um Captain America shield build (update 09.13.11)

It looks amazing. Can I ask a stupid question? In the pics of the actual movie prop if you look its actually two straps not one strap and a handle? Why does everyone add the handle when you can hold the second strap just as easily?

Well, for me, I've been using shields for stunt work and stage work for the last 15 years. I just prefer a hard mount handle. With a strap handle, the shield is always wobbly in your hand. It's a personal preference.

personally I think all the work i have seen in this thread and yours and several others are just other worldly amazing. Im blown away by it. I was just wondering is all. If I ever get the chance to own my own movie shield down the line Ill have to consider what you said chris. Ive always been one of those guys that needs it completely movie or comic accurate to be happy. I cant wait to see the other things you guys come up with

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back