Alternative to backpack and cannon.

Estelle

From the way things are looking, There could be a possibility that my Backpack and cannon will not arrive in time for DC. It was shipped out from the UK around the 7th or 8th of May. I’m guessing it’s tied up in U.S. customs or lost. I have no tracing number or receipt. The sender says he sent it. All I can do is be patient and wait at this point. I would like to know if anyone knows of any good alternatives or suggestions concerning a suit w/o a cannon and backpack? These are crucial components to a predator suit..I mean going w/o them is like a pred w/o dreads, lol! It’s just not cool.
Any and all ideas are welcome..I’m so damn desperate I’m thinking about rigging up a pair of bone swords to wear on the back.
~Estelle

A quick backpack is easy, get a (new) 4inch sewer pipe connector from home depot (or equivalent) and you can either go with light plastics (like cheap vanity license plates) or some tin snips and a homer bucket. cut pieces out to flank and then top and bottom the pipe (making sure the ribs on the pipe are exposed), scrub the plastics with soap and water (important step) let it dry and then hit with some hammer finish paint. Use goop or e6000 to glue it and top it with hot glue to hold the shape while the stronger stuff dries underneath. Filling it with minimum expanding foam isn't a bad option either. Check me on here under WIP for some pics, more better pics on my FB page. The cannon, also quick and easy. In fact I have a number of them (see my cheap cannon build) that I'll have for sale at the amazing az con in January. PM me if you have any specific questions

A quick backpack is easy, get a (new) 4inch sewer pipe connector from home depot (or equivalent) and you can either go with light plastics (like cheap vanity license plates) or some tin snips and a homer bucket. cut pieces out to flank and then top and bottom the pipe (making sure the ribs on the pipe are exposed), scrub the plastics with soap and water (important step) let it dry and then hit with some hammer finish paint. Use goop or e6000 to glue it and top it with hot glue to hold the shape while the stronger stuff dries underneath. Filling it with minimum expanding foam isn't a bad option either. Check me on here under WIP for some pics, more better pics on my FB page. The cannon, also quick and easy. In fact I have a number of them (see my cheap cannon build) that I'll have for sale at the amazing az con in January. PM me if you have any specific questions
Thanks for the tips. I went and had a look at those pipe connectors you mention, I think I can work out something with them. I see some potential with a litttle work and imagination. I also noticed that a few of the Lost Hunters lack Backpacks/cannons, so going with out them isn't unheard of!
Thanks
~Estelle

Estelle, for my first build I hadnt got a back pack or cannon.. so no its not unheard of.. its up to you at the end of the day... your right to some of the lost hunters didnt have them, Hippie being the prime example.

on another note.. the guy you got your stuff from.. was it a member here or an ebay sale?

The seller is NOT a member here…the item or one like it was originally on eBay. That’s where I had first seen it. I contacted the seller and arrangements were made to buy one outside of e-bay. I paid via pay pal and will be filing a claim today. I hate to do this but I really have no choice because with out the receipt or tracking number all I have is the seller’s word.
I’ve been googling for pics of Preds with out backpacks and canons and it seems to be quite expectable to see them without theses things. So I’m going with an arsenal of blades that will be worn bandoleer – style across the chest.
~Estelle

Just think of the last scene in Predator, where he takes both off in front of Arnie to make it into a fist fight. I really don't see a problem with a suit without cannon/backpack, it just means you're going lean and are a close quarters fighter ;-) I actually quite like that.

I also dig the idea of a sword like weapon carried on your back!

My Predator suit has a backpack, and I have a cannon, but I've never been able to mount the cannon in a way that keeps it from flopping around. So, for the most part, I've gone without the cannon. Most people don't even notice. Besides, there are plenty of other Predator weapons, such as wristblades, a smart disc, mines, spears, and so on. Also, in the first AVP film, the unblooded hunters didn't get their plasma cannons until they found them somewhere in the pyramid.

Here's one more weapon: In "Predator: Cold War", my character had sort of a combination staff, with a halberd at one end and a spear launcher at the other end that shoots out little flechettes. Here's what it looks like:
5903524691_caa57aa9c4.jpg
CVG2011-059a by Elkman, on Flickr

I still have the mold for the halberd, so I could cast up a copy of it.

From the way things are looking, There could be a possibility that my Backpack and cannon will not arrive in time for DC. It was shipped out from the UK around the 7th or 8th of May. I’m guessing it’s tied up in U.S. customs or lost. I have no tracing number or receipt. The sender says he sent it. All I can do is be patient and wait at this point. I would like to know if anyone knows of any good alternatives or suggestions concerning a suit w/o a cannon and backpack? These are crucial components to a predator suit..I mean going w/o them is like a pred w/o dreads, lol! It’s just not cool.
Any and all ideas are welcome..I’m so damn desperate I’m thinking about rigging up a pair of bone swords to wear on the back.
~Estelle

Bring his head for a trophy god dammed!!

My girl has two swords on her back with a sword holder. looked pretty cool and was cheap!

k5jhd479dcdh.jpg

my pred is going to be very low tech. i am getting most of my armour from Uratz, and have a plan to make a primitive pred. then i can justify how short he will be.

so i wont have a canon either.

Thanks everyone for the help and ideas…I feel much better about going w/o the backpack. These suggestions have opened up many possibilities. Well, back to brainstorming!!!
~Estelle

No backpack or cannon for Falconer either. I guess if you put a falcon on your shoulder though, you might be mistaken for a Pirate Pred instead (hey that rhymes) . Aaaaaaarrrrrrggghhhh click click click click click click click click.

No backpack or cannon for Falconer either. I guess if you put a falcon on your shoulder though, you might be mistaken for a Pirate Pred instead (hey that rhymes) . Aaaaaaarrrrrrggghhhh click click click click click click click click.
Lol. Stop playing..I’m in dire straights here!!! lol, if showed up as a pirate pred I’d loose all my Lair credits..lol
~Estelle

Estelle when do you need this all by? Seeing that u were the first to welcome me to the liar I would like to help in any way possible. Lemme know what if anything I can do.

Estelle when do you need this all by? Seeing that u were the first to welcome me to the liar I would like to help in any way possible. Lemme know what if anything I can do.
I really appreciate that, that's so very kind of you to offer to help me. I should be o.k, no need to worry..If any thing I need more time! LOL
~Estelle

I really appreciate that, that's so very kind of you to offer to help me. I should be o.k, no need to worry..If any thing I need more time! LOL
~Estelle

...yup, time seems to go soooo fast :D (y)

what I found with the backpack and cannon was that the dreads would catch on them. Didn't matter if it was the big AVP backpack or the small one that AntCarb did.

I had thought of converting a medium or small cannon to a wolf style hand cannon and putting it on my belt.

Also the backpack is heavy an wants to pulldown on everything.

---
Ei'luj

A quick backpack is easy, get a (new) 4inch sewer pipe connector from home depot (or equivalent) and you can either go with light plastics (like cheap vanity license plates) or some tin snips and a homer bucket. cut pieces out to flank and then top and bottom the pipe (making sure the ribs on the pipe are exposed), scrub the plastics with soap and water (important step) let it dry and then hit with some hammer finish paint. Use goop or e6000 to glue it and top it with hot glue to hold the shape while the stronger stuff dries underneath. Filling it with minimum expanding foam isn't a bad option either.

I did a similar process, using aluminum air conditioning conduit from Home Depot, some foamie sheets, and some greeblies. I did two versions, one using a single piece of conduit and one with two pieces joined end to end. There are photos of them somewhere in the Arsenal section. They are very lightweight and cost less than twenty bucks each.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back