Alternative Hunter, WiP

Justin1

Well, here's the one I'm hoping to have done by the time the Hellbreed gets here... Here's a few WiP shots, let me know what you think!

The veining I painted in ended up getting pretty much entirely covered over by the layers of mottling I did to try and "correct" some of the colors... Not very happy with this piece so far, and not too enthused about working on it, but plugging along just the same... Anyway, here ye be.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think your paint wasn’t transparent enough and that’s the reason your detail was lost in the process. I think some people want to go too fast, and they don’t take their time for it. I am also familiar with that problem, but now I take my time, and it pays off.
I’m thinking of buying this kit to, and have a go with it.
It’s one of the simplest models, but the pose is the best I have ever seen.
Keep up the great work and keep us posted.

Erwin

Thanks for the reply, Erwin. I'm always grateful any time I can get a pointer or bit of advice from someone with more experience than me.

As luck would have it, part of the piece fell over some time in the night and a fair amount of paint was scraped off the face, as well as a few minor chips of the actual resin (dread bead, finger). After repairing the damage, I decided I'd rather start over and get it looking the way I'd like it to look as opposed to spending time trying to fix what I've already done.

Part of the problem is I added a couple layers of mottling that I ended up not liking at all (an ugly, orangey flesh color and a gaudy, flourescent yellow) and tried to cover over with more of the pale/white colors. I think without those extra layers, the veining should stand out more. Let's hope so, anyway!

Skintones and mottling in general are such a learning process... It's difficult to know ahead of time what colors will look good together and blend naturally... Trial and error so far.

Well, after a long, LONG drive/trip down to North Caroline (from Maine), I'm back and have been pluggin away at this piece as steadily as I can be, between work and other... endeavors, I guess you could say.

A lot of the mottling work on the skin is overdone, and looks worse because of the bright lighting washing the colors out a bit, but the veins are there and pretty visible, and overall I'm much happier this time around. Hopefully after laying down some transparent colors over the mottling work, it stands out a bit and adds more variety to the skin.

On a first side note, after trying out enamels on the Rogue Hunter, I decided to order a bunch of paints from Testors to see if I could find some I'd be happier with, and so far, the Silver Chrome bottled paint I went with is FANTASTIC! I don't think I'll ever use another silver paint as long as I live. The finish is VERY reflective, and the coverage is VERY good. It's just tough doing touch-ups with enamels, but it's worth the effort.

On a second side note, I HATE PAINTING SPOTS!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back