Alphonse Elric armor (FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST -manga) build by castpixel - New Photos

castpixel

Hi again, lovely people!

After last year's female space marine which got me 2nd place, I decided to use all the things I learnt from the huge build to work on an Alphonse Elric armor.

I've been working on it for 5 months, and I just won 1st place and will be competing in Eurocosplay for Greece on October.

Here's some photos, and then I'll break down some of the construction.

Last edited:
upload_2019-4-24_10-16-1.png

upload_2019-4-24_10-16-10.png

upload_2019-4-24_10-16-15.png

upload_2019-4-24_10-16-20.png

upload_2019-4-24_10-16-26.png

upload_2019-4-24_10-16-30.png

upload_2019-4-24_10-16-37.png

upload_2019-4-24_10-16-43.png

upload_2019-4-24_10-16-49.png

upload_2019-4-24_10-16-52.png

upload_2019-4-24_10-16-58.png

upload_2019-4-24_10-17-2.png

upload_2019-4-24_10-17-6.png

upload_2019-4-24_10-17-10.png

upload_2019-4-24_10-17-13.png

upload_2019-4-24_10-17-17.png

upload_2019-4-24_10-17-21.png

upload_2019-4-24_10-17-25.png

upload_2019-4-24_10-17-31.png

[ Black 3.0 ]

Stuart Semple's black 3.0 is the blackest acrylic paint around, absorbing 99% of light. It really is super matte, and looks like a void. As luck would have it, the kickstarter ended right on time for me to get my hands on it, and I painted the inside of the collar. The effect is stunning, the helmet really looks like it's floating on an empty suit of armor!

[ Stomping fx ]
I attach the source code for the software I wrote for stomping sfx on a regular smartphone.
How to use: open the project using Construct 3 and run it. Feel free to change the sound files and reference those instead.

When you run the tool, shake the device vigorously to calibrate it to max acceleration in all three axes.
Dragging the indicators changes horizontal and vertical sensitivity. That's it. Strap it to your upper torso and walk.

Attachments

• castpixel stomp.zip
    696.1 KB · Views: 586
  • MNML-April23-093722AM.gif
    MNML-April23-093722AM.gif
    401.2 KB · Views: 494
Last edited:
Thanks so much The Searcher ❤️

In my research I found several fantastic costumes!

Me, I was inspired by the live action film tbh. Even though the character was purely CGI and took liberties with the design, it made the build look attainable! It also confirmed for me that a dull metal finish was the way to go...

The thing I'm most proud of is transforming myself, a 1.72 tall woman, into a 2 meter tall empty suit of armour

Fantastic looking build, congrats on your 1st place win & good luck with the following comp.
Thanks for the detailed insight into the ‘how to’ as well.(y)

This is stunning, the amount of detail, the eyes, the sound effects, the texture, even the black paint in the neck... I love it! No videos? I want to see it in motion! Good luck in the contest!

Thanks everyone!

Potroclo absolutely! Here's my stage performance (please go to 29:11) :

At that point I was 6 hours on my feet, and pretty much dying. Two straps failed and Al's left leg is sagging a bit. Also my lovely assistant was too tall and undercut the height of the suit a bit.

Re: the neck: even with flash photography, it's still a black void

upload_2019-4-25_19-20-55.png

And here's the little kitten I used in the performance. I sculpted it out of foam so that I can crumple it and make it tiny

upload_2019-4-25_19-36-39.png

upload_2019-4-25_19-37-33.png

Last edited:
Oh man, oh man... I love Fullmetal Alchemist so damn much. You have done such an amazing job with Al, and to add sound effects as well... not too many great words to describe your work! I wish you could have seen my reaction when I watched the video.

This built is incredible and I love the result.

I was doing research myself on this armor and you are indeed a motivation for me to do it myself even though I am a female as well :) Now I just need to find some files ^^

Stunning, astounding work. And with a step-by-step tutorial as well! Very inspiring. Thanks for taking the time to post all of this information.

Holy crap, this build is stunning and there's some amazing ideas. I never would have thought of using aluminum foal to texture EVA foam to look like leather. I'll have to steal that for one of my future projects.

Thanks so much for all the kind responses. I'm over the moon :D

PlanetAlexander I wish I could have seen your reaction too! Thanks so much for the kind words <3

TheCostumeGeek thank you! I'm attaching my pepakura file in case it helps! After printing and cutting those parts, I assembled with painter's tape and then divided them anew, into as uniform and large pieces as I could.

The Searcher thank you! It got a big reaction too!

asavage thanks so much! Your King Arthur build was on *constantly* while I was building this. Also you're the first person I ever saw to use Rub'n Buff. Sharing only makes everyone's work better!!

Blaxmyth you're very welcome! Sharing is caring!

Takanuva Using an clothes iron to press the aluminum foil into the foam makes the texture permanent, so long as you don't heat up the foam again. Best used as a last step before sealing and painting.

Attachments

• final armor FULLSIZE.zip
    2.7 MB · Views: 673
Last edited:
This is an amazing build, holy crap!

Armor builds have always been kinda iffy for me because I wanted it to SOUND like armor, but your android program is KILLER!

I wonder if one can be written to be used on a certain robotic left arm that makes cool sounds... XD

You do excellent work!!!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back