Alleged Screen Used Hero TOS Phaser up for auction (now the aftermath)

Fakes are like a box of chocolates, never know what you're gonna get. Fake is as fake does. Run fandom!, run!
Wilson.PNG

I’ve touched on this before but let me remind you all that the Jeannie bottle they auctioned had numerous paint errors, was found to be NOT screen used - by Fans! - and their item authenticity was from the supposed creator’s granddaughter. Granddaughter!!!!

If I built the HA phaser like new with a really nice paint job and such, it would be picked apart mercilessly for it’s inaccuracies.
And the criticism would be warranted.

I’ve touched on this before but let me remind you all that the Jeannie bottle they auctioned had numerous paint errors, was found to be NOT screen used - by Fans! - and their item authenticity was from the supposed creator’s granddaughter. Granddaughter!!!!

And, as I've touched on before, when you have people actually involved with a production auctioning off obvious recreations of props (such as the lightsabers sold by Gary Kurtz and Roger Christian), then that doesn't fill me with confidence.

If I built the HA phaser like new with a really nice paint job and such, it would be picked apart mercilessly for it’s inaccuracies.
And the criticism would be warranted.

The inconsistencies of the auction piece are intriguing. Basically a copy of the Jein, but with weird bits, like the non-tapered P2 acrylic emitter, which sorta-kinda matches the outtake phaser, and helps to raise doubts while still seeming MAYBE authentic.

Assuming such details were built in to cause misdirection and confusion, they worked.

I believe this to be a complete forgery since there is no explanation for the discrepancies we are seeing (different shells, replica nozzle, etc not to mention zero provenance). The thing that concerns me is the enterprising forger can simply read this thread and correct the inconsistencies with this current replica and make the corrections on the next phaser which no doubt will miraculously appear from beyond in the future.

Last edited:
The screen used prop world also has its fair share of frankenprops - some comprised of various bits and bobs here and there with *some* production lineage, castings pulled from original molds, rejected production castings, etc. - and over time have a tendency to become "authentic."

The raised trim lines near the emitter, really get me. Are there any replicas that have that feature? It may have been mentioned, but we are on page 66 at this point.

At this point, I'm 95% convinced that it's a fake, and NOT one incorporating any production-made parts. Too much doesn't add up, and it seems like this situation has been swept under the rug, for reasons which people have already mentioned. Money, clout, ego, pride, reputations, threats of legal action.

Cages have clearly been rattled, given Highliner's wild outbursts, friggin' Shanko popping up out of thin air.

It's been an...interesting ride.

I would tend to attribute the inconsistencies to sloppiness, rather than any calculated effort. Someone copied the Jein (and wasn't smart enough to try and at least copy one of the other heroes' unique tells), and certain parties seem more than happy to say, "Close enough!"

Convincing fakes have been made by people like Shanko, before. Years of extra research, photos, and discoveries--to say nothing of the TCW replica--would surely provide more than enough info to craft a convincing forgery. Replica metal parts are easily available. Replica shells are relatively available, or could be crafted by someone with the skill.

All it would take is the proper craftsmanship to simulate aging, of the sort we've seen on the Lussier midgrade replicas.

Last edited:
I have to say. This thread has been thoroughly enjoyable thus far. Being mostly a Star Wars guy and only having recently become more interested in the ST TOS community, I have learned so much from this thread, not only in general terminology, history, provenance, etc. but the fact that that events transpired such that this thread even needed to exist just blows my mind. I'm loving every dramatic tidbit of it. It's been a roller coaster for certain. Can't wait to learn more.

for those of you who said HeroComm did NOT say it was the real thing and they only reported that GJ and his experts said it was real, that is NOT what HA said, they were very quick to point out that HeroComm had endorsed it as the real deal.
"HeroComm endorses this auction" is not the same statement as "HeroComm decided it is real". And HA chose those words anyway, not HC. Again, HC said they trust the judgement of others who said it's real, which is not the same thing as making the claim themselves. I grant that this difference probably does not amount to anything, but what they said is what said and what they didn't, they didn't. It was pretty ballsy of HA to put that in, since they knew HC backed away from their skepticism only because of legal threats.

"HeroComm endorses this auction" is not the same statement as "HeroComm decided it is real". And HA chose those words anyway, not HC. Again, HC said they trust the judgement of others who said it's real, which is not the same thing as making the claim themselves. I grant that this difference probably does not amount to anything, but what they said is what said and what they didn't, they didn't. It was pretty ballsy of HA to put that in, since they knew HC backed away from their skepticism only because of legal threats.

I’d be willing to bet that they saw us right here in this very thread discover that HeroComm had altered their site in support of the auction piece, then modified the auction listing to include that tidbit.

In the collecting "underworld," where people buy things that shouldn't be for sale, everyone vetts each other very carefully and pertinent information which establishes value is shared cautiously.

In a public auction, pertinent information which establishes value is shared enthusiastically. It has been suggested that such information was shared only with "serious" parties; parties who were apparently serious despite having no reason to be so: If no proof, why the interest? Was it a gamble? "If someone is serious they'll ask for more information," despite this being precisely the opposite of how public auctions go?

We've been given advance notice of auctions before, but, "We're gambling that it'll sell for a price we're not going to justify," is a new one on us.

Ah, well. We may yet learn the full, sordid story. There are always possibilities....

Thanks for the ride!

Last edited:
They needed that to validate it, because the expert panel they hired wasn't getting the job done. All it did was drag HeroComm down with GJ.
Nothing was going to keep that Titanic afloat. It was doomed the moment it launched as an enigma shrouded in secrecy.

In any type of underhanded or shady dealing, inevitably one of the parties feels like they didn't get their due or fair share of things and ends up spilling their guts. The same will happen here. Its just a matter of time.

In any type of underhanded or shady dealing, inevitably one of the parties feels like they didn't get their due or fair share of things and ends up spilling their guts. The same will happen here. Its just a matter of time.
Only if there was in fact, a buyer.
Otherwise Heritage will be only too content sweeping this under the proverbial rug. The con artist will lick his wounds and move onto something else. GJ is of an age that this is a pedestrian issue in his personal life. Herocomm will weather the storm quietly, they realize any revelations from them will do nothing to Heritage or the con artist but most certainly will further damage them as well as open them to litigation if an NDA was signed.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back