Alleged Screen Used Hero TOS Phaser up for auction (now the aftermath)

In all fairness, NN is pretty frail now and she might be easily taken advantage of.

I remember the year scam artists were selling boxes of AIR to senior citizens in Las Angeles. Since they have SMOG, they were told that these (actually cardboard boxes) contained large quantities of clean air, so on a smog day, you just open the box and let the clean air out.

So after looking at it for a while I am pretty sure that phaser is another one these. That little slope that is above the baral on the P1 and profile of the P2 look pretty close.

Attachments

• p1b.jpg
    p1b.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 168
The phaser 2 also has some markers.

Attachments

• p2a.jpg
    p2a.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 273
  • p2b.jpg
    p2b.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 238
  • side.jpg
    side.jpg
    290 KB · Views: 243
And same handle tombstone profile. That being said I don't know the provence of this one either, so they could both be fake or real..

Attachments

• forge4(1024).jpg
    forge4(1024).jpg
    489.3 KB · Views: 139
  • h1.jpg
    h1.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
Here's my Shanko version ll.
If it is a Shanko that would explain the crazy sanding to get the trigger box curve more correct.
The front did have the "bow" in it like robn1 shows I just sanded the hell out of it to get rid of what I could.
Middle MR phaser.
Top Wand phaser.

mid4.jpg

Those P1s look different to me. Very different shape to the top of the phaser in terms of curvature. The auction's P1 has a much flatter surface.

It's been years, but what I believe I heard is that he purchased a Mark English prop believing it to be genuine. But, I have no direct evidence, so could be completely wrong on that. As to this phaser, I'm like most here. Would love it to be real, but must remain in doubt until more evidence is made public.

I see. Would you, the members here, accept GJ's expert opinion, without provenance or explanation if he asserted it is genuine?

No one is infallible. And, just because he owns the only surviving original doesn’t automatically mean that he could definitively state that another one which he examined was actually made for the show’s production, especially if said piece was a direct copy of his own. Remember, the dimensions and internal working parts of the real Jein hero have all been thoroughly studied and replicated, over the years.

Again, I say this in no way to denigrate Mr. Jein or his experience, but it’s a distinct possibility that he saw the auction
piece, with its attention to detail in terms of the construction materials and complex inner mechanisms, and said, “Oh, hey, this looks just like mine, inside and out. It’s gotta be real, right?”.

I see. Would you, the members here, accept GJ's expert opinion, without provenance or explanation if he asserted it is genuine?

Not without proper provenance, no, not at all. Not even on any experts best day. Not for an item that can not be matched to the show in any way such as a screen shot, document of manufacture, identifiable maker mark, etc.

A copy can look exactly like an original and still be a copy. (And yes, this statement is undeniable ! )

I was curious what the consensus would be if he was the expert they hired. The pool of qualified candidates is pretty small, even smaller if your aiming to hire someone with TOS prop expertise. As I see it, it comes down to two metrics, neither of which can be proven conclusively. The provenance is murky at best and that leaves the prop itself which without more invasive tests, is also inconclusive. Some very invasive tests would have to be performed in order to validate it, in terms of the components it is comprised of and if they reflect the age expected. The University of Arizona has been carbon-14 dating human remains that are just 20 years old so I'd imagine it is possible with this prop.

I’d like it to be an original. I just can’t buy the provenance. I do not believe it is vintage Velcro, (if it’s got any rayon in it it’s a fake and I’m not buying that particular hook parttern for the 60’s) and I really don’t buy the circled area. I am not aware of any screen-capped hero having this spacing.
7A9DE8C8-E00D-443C-BBAE-76C401F4235E.jpeg

Now, I’d love to be wrong. It would be cool to actually have a ‘new’ hero phaser as reference. Until someone can definitively prove it is a match to a screen cap or carbon date elements of this to the sixties, or match some vintage Velcro to the p1, I’m extremely skeptical.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back