Alleged Screen Used Hero TOS Phaser up for auction (now the aftermath)

I just want to make sure you've all noted Perry Mason here threatening legal action against the entire RPF community (buried in a monotonous turd of a post of course).

you people actually are exposing all involved to a possible action.

This stuff writes itself.

I just want to make sure you've all noted Perry Mason here threatening legal action against the entire RPF community (buried in a monotonous turd of a post of course).

you people actually are exposing all involved to a possible action.

This stuff writes itself.
Yet another reason that, barring action by the mods, everyone should just hit the ignore button on the troll. Trust me, it's like that freshly cean feeling you get when stepping out of a hot shower.

Last edited:
This may seem a pedestrian question for many of you but humor me, the twist lock for the handle, was there only ever the one manufacturer or style/size? I ask because it has come up here but also because I found a kit of unknown origins and I want to finish it. It was not made to support this twist lock mechanism so I'll have to add it.

This may seem a pedestrian question for many of you but humor me, the twist lock for the handle, was there only ever the one manufacturer or style/size? I ask because it has come up here but also because I found a kit of unknown origins and I want to finish it. It was not made to support this twist lock mechanism so I'll have to add it.
The vintage plugs were made by Arrow-Hart, the current ones are Hubbell. I don't know if they are the same companies but they fit each other. The vintage Bakelite plugs can be found on Ebay. Just make sure to get the 2 prong midget plugs.

This hero phaser build was commissioned by The Western Costume Company, and is on display there. The goal with this build was not to copy every tiny detail warts and all, but to incorporate all of the prop's working features in an idealized build that would look good on display.
FWI the phaser was part of a display in conjunction with Western’s one hundredth anniversary, as they made the costumes for TOS as well as TMP and TWOK. It is no longer on display there.

For those that are newer to the subject of the Greg Jein Hero Phaser, which has been fairly heavily documented over the years, the following is one of the many resources available on the internet for reference and captures a lot of the features discussed in this thread.

This video would have been shot around 1990 / 1991 (based upon hearing President George HW Bush’s press conference in the background, at one point).

Last edited:
For those that are newer to the subject of the Greg Jein Hero Phaser, which has been fairly heavily documented over the years, the following is one of the many resources available on the internet for reference and captures a lot of the features discussed in this thread.

This video would have been shot around 1990 / 1991 (based upon hearing President George HW Bush’s press conference in the background, at one point).

I recognize one of the voices, and his now grown son in the background. That was like a secondary coolness to the video.
Thanks for posting it.

Hi all,
I increased the saturation slightly on a couple of the comparison shots. This brings out any differences in colour variations.
The handle shows a big difference, but I must say the P2 body colour stands up very well. I'm not saying it means anything & other people might get different results but it's an observation by me.
lf (11)sat3.png
lf (10)sat3.png

Somewhere in the thread it was explained how color matching can be achieved with the right *several pieces of equipment.

I've color matched some TNG colors using a similar approach. It can be done. Of all the aspects of creating a forgery, color matching is by far the easiest. Obtaining materials not in production since the 1950's (like Velcro) can be significantly more difficult, to the point of exclusion.

Assuming that the props were touched up or repainted throughout the show’s run, you’d think they would have used off-the-shelf paints to make it easy, rather than custom mixes. Which would mean that the colors should be consistent from prop to prop…but you never do know.

Assuming that the props were touched up or repainted throughout the show’s run, you’d think they would have used off-the-shelf paints to make it easy, rather than custom mixes. Which would mean that the colors should be consistent from prop to prop…but you never do know.
I dunno...i would almost think it is the opposite. Given the lifespan of the show, I would imagine that similarities between the props diverged over time as they were repaired, repainted, etc.

I dunno...i would almost think it is the opposite. Given the lifespan of the show, I would imagine that similarities between the props diverged over time as they were repaired, repainted, etc.
Based on Gregatron's statement, this would be my conclusion as well. Then again, I base it on an entirely different set of experiences with Duplicolor paint spanning the late 1980's through present day. If in the 1960's there was less regulation allowing for more product consistency, it is probable that Gregatron's assertion would be correct, assuming the same brand and color was purchased each time.

Based on Gregatron's statement, this would be my conclusion as well. Then again, I base it on an entirely different set of experiences with Duplicolor paint spanning the late 1980's through present day. If in the 1960's there was less regulation allowing for more product consistency, it is probable that Gregatron's assertion would be correct, assuming the same brand and color was purchased each time.

Time and money are always factors in film production. Unless they literally didn’t care about consistency (which seems unlikely) they (Wah Chang himself, presumably) would surely have grabbed easy-to-find, off-the-shelf paints, rather than using custom mixes.

Is it just me, or are the handles at different angles? I imagine getting the Hubble connector to fit right would account for some of that, but the whole area just seems... off. The trigger placement seems different, as well.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back