Alleged Screen Used Hero TOS Phaser up for auction (now the aftermath)

My remark about the olden days was a joke, though poorly executed, about how my kids refer to anything from my childhood as the "olden days".
Actually the rattle can sprayer was invented in 1949 so it may have been commercially available when TOS was made.

Of course. But I don’t presume to know what they used to paint the props!

One is a hero and one is a midgrade. An expert would know that.
I was being kind. As I have said neither have the elusive compound curves and asymmetry of Greg's original. The fin differences are so glaring as to be laughable. You still want to attack show me soemthing you actually made from scratch. I sincerely doubt any of you can do more than that "rattle can" nonsense that is aside from attacking.

I was being kind. As I have said neither have the elusive compound curves and asymmetry of Greg's original. The fin differences are so glaring as to be laughable. You still want to attack show me soemthing you actually made from scratch. I sincerely doubt any of you can do more than that "rattle can" nonsense that is aside from attacking.
You only have to look at post 347

You really, REALLY need to pump the breaks on the "I sincerely doubt any of you can do more than that" and "You people" nonsense. Your ignorance of your audience and talent here is doing you no favors for the "validity" you claim you've been denied.

One's a hero and the other is a midgrade. I don't know much about these phasers and I know that. If you don't know that much, what are you doing here?

You really, REALLY need to pump the breaks on the "I sincerely doubt any of you can do more than that" and "You people" nonsense. Your ignorance of your audience and talent here is doing you no favors for the "validity" you claim you've been denied.
My "audience" this one says? Show or fold.

My "audience" this one says? Show or fold.
Just so I'm clear, you want me to "out" other members with their names, professions, and productions they've worked on? No industry professional behaves like this. Not only would I never betray confidences like that, saying "show or fold" is just patently absurd. I think the "jealousy" you claim "we all" have may be coming from inside the house.

I see nothing here of anything more than model kit level efforts without needed improvements over what any of you have started with. If you find that comment insulting, then as I have repeatedly asked ---show me examples of pattern work, hard or rubber molds and actual machining of metal components. When you show that are able to do that, then you are ready to leave Grasshopper.

Heilman and Wegmann were doing that in 1973-4. I was there. I will soon be replicating in poplar (as were the originals) several Iminiar Disrupters directly from a hero filmed Klingon.

Just so I'm clear, you want me to "out" other members with their names, professions, and productions they've worked on? No industry professional behaves like this. Not only would I never betray confidences, saying "show or fold" is just patently absurd.
Oh yes they do and far far worse. Clearly you aren't one. Show your work.

Clearly you aren't one.
loldouble.gif

I got my first Badger model 200 in 1968. I use Iwata's now.
My point was that rattle cans or paint brushes weren't the studio's only options for painting props.
Those were likely their last options, because I'm sure any professional prop maker from that era would have had a toolbox full of airbrushes.

I see nothing here of anything more than model kit level efforts without needed improvements over what any of you have started with. If you find that comment insulting, then as I have repeatedly asked ---show me examples of pattern work, hard or rubber molds and actual machining of metal components. When you show that are able to do that, then you are ready to leave Grasshopper.

Heilman and Wegmann were doing that in 1973-4. I was there. I will soon be replicating in poplar (as were the originals) several Iminiar Disrupters directly from a hero filmed Klingon.
Anything I build up is either a kit, preferably a Roddenberry kit or something I drew in Fusion and printed so, I can't show you a master I don't have, a mold I never made or any unused castings. I can show you this though...it's the 3D equivalent and I do all of my own circuits. I can take full credit for those. Show me your work with circuits and electronics! lol
3L.jpg

I see nothing here of anything more than model kit level efforts without needed improvements over what any of you have started with. If you find that comment insulting, then as I have repeatedly asked ---show me examples of pattern work, hard or rubber molds and actual machining of metal components
A link to my build thread has already been posted. But since you are too lazy to do your own research:

Wood patterns.
P1030461.JPG

P1030462.JPG

P1030430.JPG

P1030431.JPG

P1030434.JPG

P1030436.JPG

P1030443.JPG

Silicone molds.
P1030539.JPG

Fiberglass castings.
P1030476.JPG

P1030599.JPG

Assembly.
P1030732.JPG

P1030737.JPG

P1030772.JPG

Metal work, though I did use some parts from forum vendors as they were available.
P1030756.JPG

P1030758.JPG

P1030882.JPG

P1030885.JPG

Last edited:
Great, just what I needed, more gratuitous envy pics.

Good god I would love a set of those shells.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back