Alleged Screen Used Hero TOS Phaser up for auction (now the aftermath)

And not to be a Debbie Downer but... the person who's trying to sell this is guilty of fraud, and the auction house that's trying to sell it would be also complicit in that fraud. Just sayin'...
greg jein spent 3 hours comparing his with the one being sold at heritage. he is convinced it is authentic. he said that to make a fake that good the person would have to be a genius. i would go with what greg says. but if he is wrong, who is the genius who made it?

greg jein spent 3 hours comparing his with the one being sold at heritage. he is convinced it is authentic. he said that to make a fake that good the person would have to be a genius. i would go with what greg says. but if he is wrong, who is the genius who made it?
Not To Doubt your Word but.... How do we know that's true? Is this just a story, or is there documentation that Jein has seen this exact model?

So that being said, I'm going to bow out of this entire line of conversation, gentlemen, because after all, ultimately it's just a prop from a TV show. None of us are going to own it, the only thing we can do is talk incessantly about it and stare at the pictures. So I'm done with doing both for a while. See you on the next thread. Peace and Blessings.

I say this with all due respect…but yet another new member popping up to say this makes me raise an eyebrow.

That said, it’s a legitimate question. Who would have the means and the motive to make a forgery which is both very authentic-looking yet also contains the many, many discrepancies which have been noted?

I'm going to start this off by saying that I respect Greg and what he has done over the years, but some of you may remember Greg has been fooled in the past. I believe he actually had a couple of ME's that he thought were real back in the early days.

I will also admit that I was one of the people who did not believe that Alpha was the real deal and it took me years to finally believe it.

I'm going to start this off by saying that I respect Greg and what he has done over the years, but some of you may remember Greg has been fooled in the past. I believe he actually had a couple of ME's that he thought were real back in the early days.

I will also admit that I was one of the people who did not believe that Alpha was the real deal and it took me years to finally believe it.
Same here. I didn't believe alpha was real till I saw the screen matching and provenance on Herocomm.

Not To Doubt your Word but.... How do we know that's true? Is this just a story, or is there documentation that Jein has seen this exact model?

So that being said, I'm going to bow out of this entire line of conversation, gentlemen, because after all, ultimately it's just a prop from a TV show. None of us are going to own it, the only thing we can do is talk incessantly about it and stare at the pictures. So I'm done with doing both for a while. See you on the next thread. Peace and Blessings.
i spoke to Greg because i was interested in buying it. but that aside, you have the pictures of his side by side with the one being offered.

As has been said, there needs to be a high burden of proof with something like this. Lots of money and egos are involved with long-lost props suddenly popping up like this.

Just look at the obvious fakes in Gerald Gurian’s collection, which he refuses to acknowledge as such. Photos of which have been published in official STAR TREK books as the real deal.

This is about truth, nothing more. But, people with money to gain and egos to bruise would be more than happy to obfuscate the truth and silence ciritical voices.

Same here. I didn't believe alpha was real till I saw the screen matching and provenance on Herocomm.

And, remember, Alpha was NOT going up for sale, at that time. It was already privately-owned, and was discovered and thoroughly examined/documented to determine its authenticity. Money was not the issue, in that case. Just ego and reputations.

As opposed to this piece, which only became known BECAUSE it is now up for sale, and had already been “authenticated” (…presumably just by Jein?) before the general prop community knew it existed.

Follow the money, follow the egos.

The auction is over?

I thought bidding was not supposed to start until June 28th?

Auction: Entertainment & Music Memorabilia Signature Auction #7241
Bidding Opens: June 28, 2021
Date: July 16 - 18, 2021
Lot viewing:
(By Appointment Only)
July 14-15, 2021
Heritage Auctions
2801 W. Airport Freeway
Dallas, TX 75261

Ouch. My bad. :eek:
Sorry about that.

I also have the utmost respect for GJ, not only what he has done as a model maker for Star Trek and sci-fi modelling in general but also his willingness to allow folks to examine his props. Most of what we know about Trek props, and especially hero phasers, is due to his generosity.

So his opinion on this prop certainly carries weight, but I don't think even he would expect his opinion to be used as the final word on this (or any) piece or used by others as a means to shut down investigation or discussion.

I also have the utmost respect for GJ, not only what he has done as a model maker for Star Trek and sci-fi modelling in general but also his willingness to allow folks to examine his props. Most of what we know about Trek props, and especially hero phasers, is due to his generosity.

So his opinion on this prop certainly carries weight, but I don't think even he would expect his opinion to be used as the final word on this (or any) piece or used by others as a means to shut down investigation or discussion.

Exactly.

Ouch. My bad. :eek:
Sorry about that.

The thing about those people here that are good at analyzing these auction pictures, and they are giving their opinion, and indeed, they are willing to revise their opinion if new evidence comes to light, is that this is the mark of a GOOD fan. Not long ago, we discussed the COPPER BONES replica to be offered from a company in the near future. And at first it looked very fishy, but I was able to match it visually to the scene where the copper bones was used with the triple stones, and THEN it matched up. A person that will NOT be moved or question their evaluation when evidence is presented that COULD call into question that evaluation, is not open minded.

Last edited:
I believe what the AUCTION says. The auction states that this item may not have been vetted. I want, not a collector, but someone who's business it is to verify props, to examine this, and VET it. I don't think that that is too much to ask.

Attachments

• phaser 2.jpg
    phaser 2.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 107
Even though Greg IS an authority, Greg has been fooled before so....

Posted before I read the updates today, so with that being said Greg is a great guy and as others have said, he has been VERY generous with his props and knowledge, but even he is not infallable.

Now with that being said HAS Greg examined this?

Sorry but I don’t take the word of to many on the net, especially noobs here that just joined today.

So untill that has been verified.......

Last edited:
I've built a full working hero. It's not a simple build, but if a hundred grand were on the line...

Also, people in this thread seem to be responding to statements from Greg Jein as though he was on here posting. Rather than what's actually happening, which is low post handles are logging on, or people are creating new accounts to comment in this thread and pass on hearsay about what GJ might have said to someone.

It's probably best not to speak for the guy himself or to respond to what someone heard from a friend he said.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back